News:

Main Menu

Cleaned up my Vision!

Started by Jay, March 10, 2009, 03:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay

So I applied some good 'ol elbow grease to the bike this evening and got it cleaned up pretty nicely.

Here's some before pictures for comparison:

1982 Yamaha Vision - Restore in progress
1992 Honda Nighthawk CB750 - Salvage Restore
1994 Subaru SVX - Restore in progress
2004 Ford Excursion - Daily driver

steve

Dang!  Mine doesn't look as good as yours did before you cleaned it up!  I guess I'd better find some rags and get busy this weekend! 
Steve

Tiger

:) Nice job Jay 8) Now you'll have to run with Night_Vision & Joevac for the OnROV Spring Ride in May ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Very good job.  Visions love elbow grease.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Jay

I still can't do extended rides due to my stator problem. One battery charge will get me a decent amount of riding, but I'd hate to get stuck somewhere, because a simple jump won't fix that. I really need to get that fixed...

JDArgonaut

Nice looking bike! Post some pics of (assuming of course) your vette. She looks quite attractive from what I see!
JDA
All in,
JDA

Jay

It's actually my old man's vette. I use his garage as it has more tools and more room, and I don't get giant oil/gas/coolant stains on my garage floor :D I can snap some pictures though. It's a 1975 Stingray convertible. Chevy 305 v8 with 4speed manual trans. Aftermarket exhaust but that's about it. In his old age he's added some dings to it, which kills me. Every time anyone walks near it he come swinging in out of nowhere on some sort of batman swing type thing, and says "Get away from my vette!", yet he's backed into the garage door, sideswiped stuff, and so on. It's not blatantly obvious, but I pay pretty close attention to detail and can find these things with ease. I can't wait to put him in a home so I can save that corvette from him. He recently backed into my Excursion in his Escalade the other day. It was my bumper that he hit, so I have a little maroon paint on my bumper. He needs a new bumper :D But when he told me about it I was like "What are you, insane? How could you not see it? It's the size of your garage." He said he was waiting for his backup sensors to kick in, but forgot that he turned them off.

funkamongus

nice.. just like mine.. question.. this is a saddlemans seat yes?? Leather or no? Like it? I see they can still be had new.. worth 60ish???
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

kwells

some xxxx steel wool will get those pipes shiny.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

The OEM seats are vinyl.  I got a OEM-like seat cover from oldbikebarn.com for 40'ish a couple years ago.  It was one that you could put over your existing seat cover and pull a drwa string to hold it in place or remove the old seat cover...and the draw string and use upholstery staples to tack it in place.  I opted for the staples.  Look at any of my recent pictures, it looks good and new.
I would like to get one of the Corbin seats on mine though. 1. they look good and 2. it will probably keep me out of trouble with only room for one.  :-o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

I can't see seat repair being much of an issue.  Any decent auto trim shop, or possibly even better, marine trip shop, should be able to do a complete rebuild from the pan up, in their sleep.

Jay

The seat is the original vinyl and in perfect condition, I can't believe it, especially considering my nighthawk's seat is destroyed.

funkamongus

wow.. put anything on it?? besides your ass, of course! What do you wipe your seat with?? hahahaha
I own:

Jay

I regularly use Armor-all leather care on it, as well as all my cars. I apply it very liberally, it takes maybe 10 minutes to do my seat. I let it soak up some so it doesn't dry out and crack. I keep it in the garage so it doesn't get beat on by the sun as well.

funkamongus

I heard armor all will actually dry the material out.. Ive been bringing them inside, applying bag balm, (believe it or not) and letting it soak in overnight, wiping excess... On old stuff two times.. looks brand new and makes it feel plush again.. I heard you can use leather products on the vinyl too.. I just havent bought any yet and the bag balm was right there.. gotta say, works well....
I own:

inanecathode

Vinyl is petroleum based, it becomes hard because all the oils leave the material. If you reintroduce oil it will help keep it soft or make it softer.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

QBS

Armor all seats are slick.  Slick is not good on M/C seats.

Rick G

It is at first but the slickness leaves very soon. I use the flatter version  with less gloss.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Jay

Sorry, i didn't explain right. Not regular armorall, but their special armorall leather treatment. It is the armorall brand, not product, that I put on the seat.