a set about 6 months ago...butchered the throttle
side trying to get it on, and have since found this set
to be very uncomfortable as they are to thick.  Some
suggestions on installing the throttle grip would
obviously be helpful as well.  I am sure there is plenty
on the forum on this subject but I can't seem to
pull much up on a search........thanks.

Lucky

I like the black foam 'cheapies' they only last a couple of seasons, but they are cheap & easy to replace.  you have to trim the sleeve slightly to make them fit, but after that they work fine.

to get a new grip on & then keep it on, spray the sleeve & inside of the grip with hair spray, then quickly slide the grip on.  leave it alone for a full warm day to dry (shoulda seen me, a big hairy guy with a long beard (at the time) buying hair spray)

I personally like a thicker grip, thinner ones tend to make my hands cramp. you can also add bar ends filled with B-B's or lead shot to dampen vibration.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

MotorPlow

When I put on my heated grips, I got a new set of gel filled ProGrips.  They are excellent to deminish any vibration, however....  I have had them for 4 months and they are now starting to tear.  I am not happy, but then again they were the expensive grips at a grand total of $12.00

You mileage may vary.
Chris F.

QBS

I use BMW foam grips.  They do a very good job of insulating away vibration.  Luckys' installation tip is the only way to.

***A really neat added benefit that I did not foresee is, because of the grips larger diameter, the effect of raising the handle bars about a quarter to three eighths of an inch.  While this might not seem like much of a change, it made an immediately noticable positive differance in my 83's ergonomics.  I will never go back to the stock or stock like set up.  Cheers.