Pic of my 82.. #6410 and a Hello From a new guy!!!!

Started by funkamongus, March 31, 2009, 11:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funkamongus

no thumb screw on the carb.. UPDATE.. I have front brakes now, thank you to XVision!! I have a starting ritual achieved.. even in the cold.. Got her revving and running ok.. yikes is sealed and installed.. I still have a flat spot around 4-5k.My carbs still leak a bit too,,  but , Im getting there.. waiting on a starter seal, turn signals, and I still have to pay for the fairing and shipping. My tick is going away,, sounds really smooth now, I guess it needed some oil to get up in there and moisten things up again.. not blowing smoke anymore on start-up..no more vac leaks as far as I can tell.. My valve cover gaskets look cracked upon closer inspection so, maybe Ill let the valve adjustment go for now until I can afford a pair of gaskets..
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

akvision

Funk,

rhpaw say's  seals will mail tomarrow on tax day. 

BTW, he says the jolt of carb cleaner in the gas has helped the "Buzz" to better performance. 

akV
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

funkamongus

good Idea... will try that! I got an email today saying he got em out!! Thank you VERY much, and your son, too.. As I said before, I hope to meet up with you on the road somewhere and buy you both a drink!! and we can tell war stories of getting these bikes rolling!
I own:

akvision

I hope you find a job, so you can afford to ride the Cassiar Highway.
We are doing a spring thing in Colorado then a longer 7 trip in September.  Then, the mighty "V" Buzz will head for Alaska.
I think it will be on the back of a Ford.  If the old Ford breaks down....I can step back 11 years still roll.

1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

funkamongus

Hi again and another update,, First things first,, I owe a big apology to XVision for not getting a package out today.. tomorrow, I promise, I was busier than a one armed paper hanger in a windstorm today... I did just a bit ago, get to the garage for a minute.. I took off the yics to see if thats where my flat spot (not dying, but not pulling) 4 to 5k was coming from,, maybe it wasnt sealed tight enough?? so, I see one of the hoses wasnt quite on all the way ,(may have been a small leak),, brought it in the house,, did the underwater test,,, no probs.. before I put it back on, I plugged them, ran it,, slow return to Idle, but the flat spots were gone, except it stumbled coming off Idle.. so, I pull the caps,, put the yics back on,, no stumble coming off Idle, and less flat spot 4-5k.. So, I think I have it, now.. I spray bake cleaner by the boots..I get a little rise on the rear,, small vac leak I think.. looked like a homemade gasket on it, If I remember right..So, I have to pull the carbs again soon, when I can afford some berrymans dip.. Ill have to assess the boots and see.. I may still have to adjust the flapper just a bit more to the closed... One thing at a time for now.. Still need to get valve cover gaskets when I have the dough too, and adjust the valves,, I may need a sync rod, too, as mine seems to be seized.. Front tire is a slow leaker. Turn signals came! Thank you Kid Jedi! I need one stem to install them both,, its coming,, thank you Tiger, also for the rear emblem!!  I got a Brake Caliper and pads from XVision!! THANK YOU!!  More to come....   
I own:

inanecathode

Get some liquid electrical tape, and then while the bike is running paint the carb boots as thick as you like with the stuff. It'll fill up the cracks and vulcanize so it stays there. Hopefully that'd be enough to seal up your boots.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

funkamongus

I think its the homemade gaskets under the holders, Im gonna make my own, out of the good grey napa stuff, coat it in wheel bearing grease, hope for the best,, get some of the stuff you mention and wait!! and watch!! great Idea, by the way,, I was thinking of wrapping em in old tire tube and gluing.. much better Idea..
I own:

akvision

inanecathode knows best.  Your method is loads of issues and low reliability.  rhpaw fought this for a couple of weeks and settled for a modified new boot.  Do it right and once, and be done with it.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

funkamongus

ok, question while its off,,, I have a gasket,, doesnt look homemade,, and an Oring,, is that correct? I cant find this boot anywhere in the parts fiche.. Here are pics of them...
http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20/82YamahaVisionXZ550RJ#5325804551853018146
I own:

Night Vision

that's not really a separate o-ring... it's part of the rubber casting....

if your boots aren't cracked through, paint them with the liquid tape, cut a new gasket if it makes you feel better, and/or just use permatex non harding formagasket on both sides of the ones you have....

that should be suffcient...unless you want to spend $100 and still have to modify one....

looking down the barrel of yours... that one looks fine (I don't see any interior cracks)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: funkamongus on April 17, 2009, 05:45:48 PM
I was thinking of wrapping em in old tire tube and gluing.. much better Idea..

...This method has been successfully used by some people here on the ROV...however, liquid electrical tape is the general "fix" for most. Make sure that you really clean them before applying liquid electrical tape and work it into the cracks. Do a couple of coats... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

I'd just blue rtv the bottom of the boot. They're so old they're probably warped way beyond what a paper gasket can compensate for.
Likely whats leaking isnt the surface cracks or the sealing surface, its where the metal zerts are cast into the rubber.

This is why i have, in my possession a pair, yes, a pair, of brand new from yamaha with gaskets intake boots that havent even seen the light of day from their special box in my special hiding place :)

Tiger

Quote from: inanecathode on April 17, 2009, 10:06:22 PM
This is why i have, in my possession a pair, yes, a pair, of brand new from yamaha with gaskets intake boots that haven't even seen the light of day from their special box in my special hiding place :)

:P ...and I thought that I was the only one to do this... ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

inanecathode

I bought them before the 25y rov meet, but ended up taking the set off the donor bike (turns out they were new on there) instead, so here they sit :)

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on April 17, 2009, 10:31:00 PM
Quote from: inanecathode on April 17, 2009, 10:06:22 PM
This is why i have, in my possession a pair, yes, a pair, of brand new from yamaha with gaskets intake boots that haven't even seen the light of day from their special box in my special hiding place :)

:P ...and I thought that I was the only one to do this... ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

me three
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) The three hoarders... :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

funkamongus

ok, I feel like I went through the carbs well.. Gonna inspect the flanges and zerts tomorrow.. try to re-install, hopefully with no leaks fuel or air,, and see where things are..
I own:

Rick G

My new ones came on the vision racer.  There still on my bike and still look great.
liquid electrical tape gets very hard after a while , but it seems to work anyway, so who am i to complain.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

funkamongus

Im reasonably sure its the flange.. the inside of the passages look nice and smooth, crackless.. I have wheel bearing grease, red and ultra copper rtv.. which would you suggest for trying to seal the gasket? I dont have any yamabond, currently.. I should probably get some but dont have any handy, I do have a gasket template coming for the side cover, I could do both again if I need the yamabond... 
I own:

Rick G

I'm very old fashoned , I like Gask-a-cinch. I coat all gaskets prior to assembly and put a coat on the case to hold everything in place. It helps to prevent the gasket from becoming one with case and causing difficult removal. Yamabond is great (its used by the factory for the center case on the vision. ) but its a pain , if you need to remove the case right away, for what ever reason. Gask-a cinch is easy to remove  and seals as well.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike