News:

Main Menu

Front end wobble

Started by GA_Wolf, May 21, 2004, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GA_Wolf

Hey..had a fun start of the day...went to get on the freeway this morning, and as I accelerated doen the ramp I developed a moderate to severe front end wobble....rolled off the throttle let the engine slow the bike, wobble persisted all the way to a dead stop.  Put her up on the center stand...did a quick front end check.  Head bearings seem ok, brakes, axle, wheel weights, tires..all seemed normal...got back on...no wobble.  Up to speed on freeway, no wobble......about 10 miles on a secondary road, coming out of a medium turn...moderate wobble till I pulled the clutch...wobble went away.  Rode all the way home later in the day, no wobble at all.  I do have the fork brace, by the way.  Any ideas? Is there somethi g else to check, or is it just another Vision quirk?

jasonm.

If the wobble is not trying to shake the bars from your hands. It is a rear end problem...tire, wheel, swing-arm. Also the '82 shock is a piece of junk. If you are working the bars... it is the front...then the steering bearings or loose wheel. Also check the right frame bolts. But These steering ball bearings in front are only good for 20k max. Anyone with more than that is kidding themselves...saying, "they are good".
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

rick_nowak

the tapered roller bearing head set is a frequent and always praised upgrade. loose ball headsets wear out pretty fast-the contact area is small relative to the loads and if you ride on rougher roads or have ever overtightened it it goes away faster.  fork brace is liked as well but if your headset is worn a fork brace will not cure it

the lower bearing takes most of the loads so wears out first.  the wear process is called brunelling (sp?) the balls actually sink into the races.  
bicycles have this problem as well.  you can feel the headset actually ratcheting as you turn the steerer in the frame.
the roller bearing headsets are specialty items so cannot be bought at the regular bearing store.  most MC wholesalers carry them.  it has been a while so i forget the price.  someone here has probably done this recently
enjoy your day

Walt_M.

Do you suppose it is related to your frame being tweaked? If I remember correctly, you and kiawrench changed your swingarm out a while ago because your rear wheel is crooked but it didn't correct the problem. It may be time to look up a frame service.
Whale oil beef hooked!

rick_nowak

slightly bent frame -by itself- will not cause a wobble.  however, it will make one caused by looseness at one end or the other worse!
enjoy your day

GA_Wolf

Does anyone have a part number and estimated price on a tapered set of head bearings?  I'll have to see about getting the swingarm mount I think is tweaked, straightened....IF I ever sell the bike I really wouldn't want to sell it with a tweaked frame. Even though it doesn't seem to affect the handling.  I'll check the fron end closr this weekend...my quick inspection consisted of a quick shake and tug test and I didn't feel any slop in the fork head... but I imagine it wwouldn't hurt to change out the head bearings.

jasonm.

If anything gets tweaked in an accident ...It's the front steering neck or bottom triple tree. When you go down ...you go "head first" a.k.a. front wheel. Unless the bike got run over by a truck. Then all bets are off.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

GA_Wolf

As far as tweaked..it looks like the rear was slid or ran up against a curb, from the angle of the rear wheel.  I really don't think the bike went down as in a rolling wreck.

Found the tapered bearings on Dennis Kirk for $40.  Now I just have to wait till the 1st to buy them.

Aelwulf

Quote from: GA_Wolf on May 22, 2004, 05:18:18 PM
As far as tweaked..it looks like the rear was slid or ran up against a curb, from the angle of the rear wheel.  I really don't think the bike went down as in a rolling wreck.

Found the tapered bearings on Dennis Kirk for $40.  Now I just have to wait till the 1st to buy them.

Bit of a ressurrection but thanks for postin' the info.  Going now as I likely need these as well being over 18k on mine.  Then we'll see how the rest 'shakes' out. ;)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

inanecathode

Quote from: rick_nowak on May 22, 2004, 08:21:00 AM
slightly bent frame -by itself- will not cause a wobble.  however, it will make one caused by looseness at one end or the other worse!

I'd totally disagree with you, you can have the tightest front end in the land but if your rear wheel is out of alignment it can easily set up an occilation like the OP described
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

But still, new tapered bearings on a V are a must have/must do.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

Quote from: inanecathode on June 27, 2007, 03:15:35 PM
Quote from: rick_nowak on May 22, 2004, 08:21:00 AM

I'd totally disagree with you, you can have the tightest front end in the land but if your rear wheel is out of alignment it can easily set up an occilation like the OP described

ok, I'll disagree with you.... you can have your steering head bearings cranked too tight and wallow / oscillate / shake / shimmy, whatever you want you want to call it.... going down the road

go ahead... try it if you don't believe me
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tanno

I've noticed that my V starts that kind of "wobble" at any speed in a corner hitting a bump. Or while getting over 70 mph, it starts the "wobble" on it's own. I figured it's in the rear end.

I'm guessing I have to check the wheel bearings and the swingarm mounts and the alignment of the rear wheel. I have the tapered bearing for the peckerhead, but not installed yet. I'm hoping to get to that this weekend.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Night Vision

start with the tapered bearings... you'll want that anyway and it's the best $40-$50 upgrade going
;D

inanecathode

Tightened and overtightened are two different things.

Tanno

I inspected the bike and found that my rear tire has a flat spot in the center of the tread area and only on one spot of the entire distance around (circ#$%$#%@   <-- can't spell it).

Anyway, I'm going to get a rear tire for it and was going to get a BT45 for it....should I replace the front tire also? I've heard from several points throughout the years that there needs to be "compatible" tread front and rear or some shimmying can occur. Is there any truth to this are was I being jerked?

Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

jefferson

If you are going to get a BT-45 for the rear go ahead and get the BT-45 for the front in the 100/80 by 18 size. The 80 section front was created just for bikes of our era and the Vision specificly. It reduces the tendency for the bike to weave or wobble and makes it a much better handling bike.

Jeff

Night Vision

Quote from: inanecathode on June 28, 2007, 12:12:04 AM
Tightened and overtightened are two different things.

and "tightest front end in the land" is what then? overtightenedest?

Quote from: jlsracing on June 28, 2007, 07:21:45 AM
If you are going to get a BT-45 for the rear go ahead and get the BT-45 for the front in the 100/80 by 18 size. The 80 section front was created just for bikes of our era and the Vision specificly. It reduces the tendency for the bike to weave or wobble and makes it a much better handling bike.

Jeff

I'm going to heed that tire recommendation for the project bike, probably drill out the sideframe too like you suggest...

I want to have the tightest bike in the land... well, except for properly adjusted steering bearings  ;)
;D

inanecathode

Aelwulf

Quote from: jlsracing on June 28, 2007, 07:21:45 AM

Jeff

That could be part of it on mine.  The treads don't match, and the rear tire has something on the side along the lines of Front Tire Only). :o So when I get some money I'll see about getting some BT45s for front & rear.

Another part of it I think is a section of one of the roads I use.  They repaved it not long ago but apparently didn't smooth it well.  It's bumpy with both the truck and the bike but I'd imagine if I catch the sides of the bumps on that part it'd be like doing moguls on skis or a snowboard and will wobble.  I rode it into town a bit yesterday and with the exception of that stretch of road and some of the other lousy ones around here it actually went pretty smooth.  I still plan to order the bearings this weekend though if I can figure the right ones since I'd guarantee they need to be replaced anyhoo.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)