News:

Main Menu

Front end wobble

Started by GA_Wolf, May 21, 2004, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: Aelwulf on June 28, 2007, 12:30:35 PM
  I still plan to order the bearings this weekend though if I can figure the right ones since I'd guarantee they need to be replaced anyhoo.

:) Here is the link to a company that I have got 2 x set's from...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-XZ550-XZ-550-82-83-Steering-Stem-Bearings_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35591QQihZ001QQitemZ110133815726QQrdZ1

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Aelwulf

Thanks, I'll check that one too when I get home.  Can't check eBay anymore from work. :(

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

inanecathode

I've got a set of oem ball bearings if anyones interested  ::)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

could use the bearings in a sling shot :P
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Nah, they're too small...

Tiger

:) You could use them in your gas tank to clean out the rust...about all there good for ;D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

AW: Question.  With your bike on center stand, with the front wheel somehow held off the ground, can the handle bars be moved from lock to lock with zero or virtually zero effort.  Can you move them with barely the touch of just one finger.  If the answer to these questions is "no", then you have found the source of your wobble, namely either steering head bearings that are adjusted too tight or are poorly lubricated or both.  Regardless, if your bearings are OEM, tapered rollers are the no brainer upgrade. 

Please do the test I've outlined above and let me know what you find out.

kwells

to get the front wheel off the ground...Use the centerstand and a tiedown strap from the rear grab handle to just about any pole.

www.wellsmoto.com

Aelwulf

I'll try to give that a shot tomorrow.  I can usually get it on the centerstand alright just doing a step 'n' pull. :)

*thunk*
What was that?!

Aelwulf

Front end turned fine on the stand, didn't move like silk per se but could with one finger easy enough.  HAve tapered bearings on order anyway.  Except for the rough roads it seems to do fine, exception was heading home yesterday from the Academy.  I was stopping at a stop sign on base that was approached on a curve so I was down to first and about stopped before straightening out.  When I did the front wheel seemed to wobble a bit.  Made the right turn and no wobble, seemed fine rest of the way home.  So just some lean wobble in the front wheel, or bearings or other issue down there?  I can't seem to make anything on that end do anything wrong or conspicuous so far when it's on the center stand.

*thunk*
What was that?!

kwells

yeah sounds about like what I have going on too.  My bearings arent notchy at any point when up on the stand and it turns easily in all positions yet I have wobble when in a sweeper going 45mph+ or when going straight 90mph+.  I am doing the tapered head bearing upgrade just to rule it out as a cause but I also suspect the frame as a culprit.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Wouldnt easy of rotation be conducive to some head wobble too? I'm thinking if it swivels too easily it wont absorb and wobble that tries to start.

kwells

yes, but I tightened mine down but the wobble still will happen...just a slight bit later.  That is why I dont really think it is the bearings but like I said...I'll rule it out and then move on to frame strengthening

www.wellsmoto.com

QBS

Assuming the given bike has good, properly lubed and adjusted steering head bearings, steering wobble may be operator induced, especially at higher speeds, and/or in turns.  This can be a problem more often seen on unfaired bikes than those with frame mounted fairings like the '83.  On the '82 V for example, at moderate to higher speeds the operator must maintain a good grip on the hand grips so as not to get blown off the bike.  Having to hold on tightly can lead the operator to unknowingly give the bike very small subtle and unintended steering inputs through the handle bars which causes the bike to attempt to change direction.  This is situation is often greatly aggravated when cross winds and sudden wind gusts heavily impact the sail that is the operators' upper torso. These unintended directional inputs and changes are then
semi-automatically (often unaware) corrected by the operator with the end result being interpreted as bike induced steering wobble.  In fact, it is steering wobble, but rather operator induced instead of bike induced.

The fix is a change in bike operation. First, be very sensitive to your grip on the handle bars and how much weight you're leaning on them with, and be very alert to what steering inputs you're giving the bike. The faster the speed, the more responsive the bike becomes.  At really high speeds, a little bit can go a very very long way.  All the way to terminal if you're not paying close attention to your riding.

Second, especially in higher speed turns, don't support you upper body with the handlebars.  Clamp the gas tank between your knees and use your back muscles to support the upper torso.  The contact between your hands and the hand grips should be almost (but not quite!) non existent.  Just the lightest touch.  Try using just  the finger tips to get a feel for how very little input is really necessary to maintain control through a fast sweeper.

Third, practice riding in buffeting air, rough winds, and cross winds with only your finger tips in contact with the had grips.  In actuality, bikes are inherently stable at speed and resist directional change(Just ask Rolle Freed as he is setting his Bonneville speed record on his Vincent Black Shadow).  They require only the lightest most sensitive touch to maintain steady state stability.  Practice to the point where you automatically switch to an ultra light touch on the hand grips whenever you're riding in rough air and sense the first touch of gust impact.  Let the bike take the hit and do its thing.  Passing an 18 wheeler going in the opposite direction on a 2 lane road is typically such a  situation.

HTH.  All the Best.

Aelwulf

Quote from: QBS on July 01, 2007, 02:35:56 PM
Assuming the given bike has good, properly lubed and adjusted steering head bearings, steering wobble may be operator induced, especially at higher speeds, and/or in turns.

Not sure I'd call it steering wobble unless that's just a general term for when it happens in the front end.  The handle bars are fine, no vibration/wobble in them typically-just the front wheel.

Thanks for the other tips though, I've already noticed I tend to grasp a bit hard.  I've relaxed the hold with my left hand for the most part but still working on my right.  Easy to practice here since we tend to have winds off/around Pikes Peak nearly every evening if not all day. :P

*thunk*
What was that?!

Night Vision

Quote from: kwells on July 01, 2007, 01:57:52 PM
yes, but I tightened mine down but the wobble still will happen...just a slight bit later.  That is why I dont really think it is the bearings but like I said...I'll rule it out and then move on to frame strengthening

a shark faring will also contribute to head shake...  :o 'specially if you don't have tapers....

soon as I rode my brother's sharkless.... I knew mine had to go
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Anything attached to the bike before the steering head bearings(windshields, fairings, human sails) and not to the frame, that can affected by wind inputs, has the potential for moving the handlebars and thus leading to wobble. For a long time I have had very serious misgivings about such devices.  In the early days of motorcycling the problems weren't so obvious because poor roads and relatively slow heavy bikes kept air speeds down.  Improvements in roads and technology have led to lighter faster bikes with much better roads to haul ass on.  The lighter the bike, the more the susceptibility to wobble because there is less mass to dampen out(slow down) the oscillations.

Interesting to note that among current day bikes, only slower, lower, and heavier bikes (think cruisers and similar full boat bagger type tourers)have the availability of handlebar mounted windshield type devices from their mfgers.

TODDF

I just ordered a set of tapered headset bearing from Pyramid direct for $30 plus shipping.  Ebay has same for more $.  Still waiting to arrive so I don't know the quality.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/pyramidusa/Items/br25-3068?

kwells

Mine were done last weekend but I'm still waiting to get some miles on her to see if it improves anything.  Most seem to say it a MUST do mod but I cant say one way or another in the 70 miles I put on it since it was done. 

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Difference may not be as noticeable with your low mileage V.  Didn't have a chance to get the balls flattened or the races dimpled.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.