News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

stator rewind journal

Started by scootertramp, April 28, 2004, 04:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ofstone

It is a little unclear to me, what are you measuring that should not be between 0 and 100? maybee the resistance between wires and housing?  Do you use an analog meter or a digital one?
To me it looks like you are doing a very good job, because you are trying to make a new stator, that will have a better lifetime, than an original one. I hope you succeed ;)

It is better to make one that costs at least more time and money than an original one and that last for 50.000 miles(or forever), than buying one that will only last for 15.000 miles.

ofstone

Oops, sorry did not read your other post!

MotorPlow

Quoteuh thanks for lettin me share! ahahaha!

Scoot,
We gotta ride together sometime.  I think we both will have one hell of a good time together...

Da Kruket kop,
Chris

scootertramp

This is me  8)
Me workin' on my bike  :P
me in the wind  8)
my blind twin brother  8)
My OTHER blind twin brother Darryl  8)
 My uncle Dom blowing a "family" kiss to my new buddy  :-*
it's a small world after all. ahahaha!

Resistence between test leads. .000
Resistence between wires .000
resistence between stator cover and bolted up stator .580
what have I done?????
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

MotorPlow

Scoot,
Somewhere, there is a wire touching somewhere where it shouldn't.  If you had the Stator grounded to the Stator cover with a ground wire, you would have 0 resistance.  If there was absolutely no contact between the Stator and the Cover (or rotor or any other grounded metal engine part) there should be an infinate or "OL" resistence.  It sounds like you have a contact somewhere, but it's not a solid, perfect ground.

I would think that the most probable place for an unwanted connection would be where the stator wires come off the Stator, before they pass under the cover plate in the stator cover.

Good Luck,
Chris

scootertramp

Hummph..
okay.. we'll chat..
so what you are typing out is: I "want to have" a CURRENT to be able to FLOWE UNINTERUPPTED BETWEEN MY STATOR AND COVER thus no resistence or another word  word: continuity?
I want the wires to be grounded to the stator cover?
thats what the chart says.  but iffen thas' the case  then the current generated by the stator wil FLOW to the COVER? Do i want the current to flowe to the stator cover? Or do i want the flowe to be only down the wires to the RR and beyond??
I feel as if im' in upside down town..
you would think that you would want the flow to be down the wires only.. why do you want resistence on the wires but none on the cover?
I'm sorry I just don't get it. please excuse my mental lapse as I was dropped on my haid repeatedly at a very tender age..
If I can just figger this out. The only thing I can do is tear it down and tray again being more careful to insulate.
There was nothing on mine other than wire and core. So i sprayed the core .next time I'll get TWO cans and heavy coat the core and use smaller wire and be WAY more gentle with it and use a different technique to wind it this time and maybe jus' maybe with some goode advice and the GREAT MORAL SUPPORT around this hole I'll be toolin' it in the winde a'fore you kin say j
cause this is a

scootertramp

Okay when you have a connection between two wires joined by a connector AND IT GETS CORRODED it will IMPEDE the FLOW and CAUSE RESISTENCE. correct? so in theory the there should be INFINTE RESISTENCE between stator and cover? correct? which means a solid DAM blocking the flow. that .58 SAYS THERE IS a bleeding effect GOING ON.
is this correct?
I insulated the  three join at the stator according to spec.'s..
I was uneasy about doing anything off manual specs.
I sourced many avenues before undertaking this project.. My other hobbies include reading science fiction and horror and flying DUAL STRANGED STUNT BATTLE KITES. thanks for letting me share..
ahemm.
so I had a  little time to kill ahahaha! I hardly ever watch the boob tube.. LOL.
Music is much better. helps me thank. (extended silence....)
Anyhoo, this is killin' my brain tryin' to understand the problem. should the resistence be INFINET between stator and cover then?
I can unbolt the stator from the cover again and check buy they aint much I can do .
If I try to cover the wires with shrink wrap the heat may cause them to flake off. If i try to wrap a layer of that wide wire sheathing around the wires coming directly off the stator all under that retaining bracket it may work and could solve the problem if that's what's wong.
somebody tell me something goode.. PLEASE thankee.. :-X

cause this is a

scootertramp

does anyone know the size of the bolts for the stator. They ain't gonne take another off and on. I am gonne get new ones. maybe hex head..  them crossheads suck.  I reckon I'll take it off again.
whats the deal with the between wire test? have i messed up there too? I thought .000 resistence meant no blockage at all. uninteruppted flowe..
OY!
I put loktite red on them bolts..  ahahaha!
I need a pill.. oh wait I don't take pills except for my one a day vitamin. and my extra C tab. and my two calcium pills. and my three condroitin pills and my two fish oil pills to go along with the five st' johns wort I take four times a day.. other than that and the occasional acetaminephine thats all.
cain't get drunk.  I Dont drink alkyhall. So  I cuss a lot ahahaha! it gets me through; hard on the olde neighbors though..
first olde biddy: "theres that mean boy slingin tools and yellin' at that rocket bike"
seconde biddy: "I don't know why he just don't sell it". all he does seems like is a'mechanic on that sickle.
first olde biddy:  my he does looks strong. i wonder how long he'd last?
seconde olde biddy: MYRTLE!
cause this is a

scootertramp

I got the three holding the stator  OFF but the lower bolt for the bracket is wallowed and difficult to reach.
 maybe a thick point, long shank bit is in order; definite change out on that one.
The only thing goode is if it wallows out the head  too much you can still grip it with small vise grips long nose for sure.
the upper bolte is okay and should come out fine.
I'll wrap it and set it back down and check it.
should I bolt it back or can I just lay it in there to check it?
I found a thick long bit that seems made to order. we'll see.
I got it off, wrapped the wires coming off the stator and where they go into the bracket. NO CHANGE in readings.
I also resprayed it.
I see that I must have grounded out  a wore on the core and the core is touching the cover and so I get.58 instead of infinite resistence?
Is this most likely correct?
cause this is a

MotorPlow

Scoot,
You should have absolutely no electrical connection between the Stator and the Stator Cover/Engine. If there is a solid connection between the stator and the cover, you would have a zero (0) resistance (Not what you want).  A zero reading tells you that there is free flowing electricity from point A to point B with nothing restricting that flow of electricity.  As that connection gets less and less grounded, your OHms reading would become a higher and higher reading until the multitester us unable to read the resistence and you get a reading of "OL" (Over the limit) or "Error" or "Infinate".  When this happens, there is no longer a connection between the stator and the stator cover (This IS what you want).

As for finding where that unwanted connection is....  Good Luck.  I assume that, while the Stator is out of the bike, you could check the resistence between the end of one of the wires and the center hub of the Stator.  This should be able to tell you if there is an unwanted electrical connection under one of the poles, thus grounding out the stator to the cover when installed.  As to which pole????

Someone tell me if I am wrong on this.  This is just my uneducated guess and may not actually be correct.

~Chris  

scootertramp

Hey motor!
whoa pardner you might be onta sumpin there..
I talked at the pard whats over to the rewinde shoppe and he said I most likely did'nt cover the poles goode enough AND that i must have scraped the insulate off the wires badd enough that it's grounding out.
you seem to have a complete grasp of the matter at hand so thanks for the VALUABLE INPUT and thanks for HELPING ME get to the rrrroot of the problemo senor'. mucho thanko.
you have a GOODE idea about the laig thang..
 I slapped them wires all around yankin' 'em and crankin' em. A few times I had to drag 'em past the other  wired leg and SQUEEZED 'em past.  on the initial few windings I may have scraped the core too much and grounded out any number of times, EIGHTEEN?   mebbe no,mebbe so.. ahahahah!
so the windr cat is a'gonna look at my work and tel me a few thangs after which I'm a'gonne strip that bitch  like they ain't no tomorrow and wrap each pole in this special paper he is gonna give me prior to winding. then I'm a'gonne step up a gauge to eighteen and prolly do the same number of windes only being fiddy times mo careful, then tape it all up and let him maybe DIP IT for me.. .
then well you all know the res' of the story after that...   I just hope the big bad wolf don't eat granny this time! ahahaha!
where should I try to find those ALUMINIUM BOLTS?
and maybe purchase a proper tool to hammer tighten those bolts. I'm useing a thick bit and two pound hammer right now.. maybe thats all I need.???
okay I'm havink' fon agin!
cause this is a

scootertramp

MY uncle dom said for me to say: "thanks from him for being a stand up guy concerning the stator difficulties".
I thanked you once and here I'm thankin you twice for your expert surmise of the situation concernin said Fraunkie stator.. thanks everyone!  give yourselves a high five from me!
 boo yeah!
Now lets donce!
EVERYBODY DONCE NOW!

Me :)
me with a bug in my eye ;)
ray charles 8)
 me doing slow mo' paddle ball ::)
 me about to take a bite of that GHETTI-QUE :D
why my girlfriends REALLY like me and buy me stuff :P

Cost of wore,spray insulate and odds and ends: twenty five duckies
time spent: seven hours total.
result :REDO!
cuss factor: elebenty-seb'm
actual fun : now that it's all said and done I can't wait to try again! though to be honest if it don't work then I'll be veddy sod.. oh so sod...OY!
The end...
cause this is a

MotorPlow

In the words of my Daughter....

"Group Hug"

I would check your local hardware store for some hexhead bolts (if they fit clearance wise) and ditch the phillips head bolts.  Ya gotta make sure they clear though, otherwise you could damage the rotor and/or have an oil leak as the cover won't fit tight, or worse the stator will not fit straight inside the rotor and you will have a similair grounding situation.

~Chris

scootertramp

I read up on it some more and it seems that the ALUMINIUM PHILLIPPS HEAD BOLTS that holds the stator to the cover are designed to keep from stripping out the bolt holes
Cranking down with a hex head would strip it oot.
the soft heads teach you to snug it but not overtighten.
using the correct size driver will insure a proper go of it.
i'll jus' replace em as I go.
no riding this week, looks like. just a bunch of  unwinding and winding.. ahahaha!
P.S where do the blue and black wires go again> is blue to the relay and the black is a ground?
i should have made  more notes.
cause this is a

Riche

This time play some stator winding music

scootertramp

actually keeping track of the windes is maddening to say the least. Maybe some MOZART? mozart is cool.
had no music last time.. maybe thats why it tuhned out so vewy vewy wong.. weally.. some chinese guys came by and asked iffen they could make soup out of a few of those pole windings I made. so I'll twy weally muy' mucho  to neaten it all up this go.
fewer windings or smaller wire. I have no craftsman abilities you know those cats that make it seem easy as pie? not me yet;
 I got a goode feeling about this next effort.  the guy said he has this TITANIC wire that's stronger than an iceberg. can't be scratched..
special paper this time to wrap the poles.
different technique
while I'm waiting on the worde from rewinder shop cat I'll change out all the female connectors and polish all the male ones. grease em connect em and seal em in shrink tubing.
I still got that ground to change out and research some stuff. it's a neato hobby.
Oh here is some MORE tunes runes and croons for your mechanicin' times: MUSIC PAGE
cause this is a

scootertramp

STATOR REWIND PART DEUX:
okay I got the rewind stripped. OY after which I realised I had the  OHM METER on the wrong setting..
ahahaha!
Okay I wire brushed the core cleaned it off  taped it up WHEW (all the ends had a small peice)and resprayed with the insul spray. Five coats this time.
The rewind wire guy besides giving me EIGHTEEN Ga. wire as I asked for also gave me this blue paper. really tough and thin.
a LONG STRIP AND HE SAID i'M SUPPOSED TO PUT IT ON THE POLES? WHAT IN THE HAIL?
okay he made it the right width for me. what i did was to make a quarter inch strip and folded it  and wrapped the pole with it. my idea of which way to fold it and whatnot allowed it to pull closed as I tightened the wire. it was tricky getting the correct width for the poles and just a fraction sticking over.
So I wrapped the first six poles and wound wire  twenty five timesaround.(any more and it would have been a mess.)
I did all six poles and cut the wire then bared and scraped the ends and checked it for resistence.( .5) in specs.. AHAHAHA
Repeated process for legs two and three . ALL tests NOMINAL
I was very very careful to keep from nicking the wire as I wound. I made a soft mount and a soft ring to keep the three fifty foot lengths from tangling. On the first leg I had seven inches of wire to spare. He must have miscounted; on the other two, there was lots left over.
then I did the CORE GROUND test: NO CONTINUITY tested GOODE! ahahahahaha!
BOO YEAH! those extra coats and paper did the trick.
So far so good.
now I'm spraying it trying to make it look like the electrex one.
welding the copper wires seemed tough so I opted to crimp it with a piece of solder in the crimp before but this time I'm going to get some more gas for my torch and melt them three IN copper wires. the others will be solder'd as usual.
 I got to install that inline voltmeter and I'll be set.
of course I'll get the INEXPENSIVE ONE..
back to spraying and finding NEW ALUMINIUM PHILLIPPS HEAD BOLTS.
cause this is a

rick_nowak

sounds like you have it on the run this time.  practice and feedback make perfect!
enjoy your day

scootertramp

the next to the last coats are drying.
What I do is spray the heck out of it and let it drip then roll it and turn it upside down to spread the enamel epoxy. it dries to a shiney glaze. back and forth and over and over. I wish I could just dip it.
the last steps are removing all the eighteen little pieces of tape on the ends and shining them metal pieces up then install .
it ain't gonna last a long time cause i'm so klutzy and all but when It goes maybe I'll have another to slam in it.
cause this is a

B.Lajoie

Un*ucking beleaveable,rewinding your own stator?!?!?
Get a clue,what bunch of useless dribble,I can only wonder  what your bike looks like let alone your girlfriend!(then again if you have enough time to re-wind stator I doubt you have one!)If you can't scare up$145 for a stator what's that bike worth about $5 !? Un*ucking beleiveable that's I can say.
                               Frenchthewrench