stator rewind journal

Started by scootertramp, April 28, 2004, 04:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

get some popcorn & pull up a comfy chair guys, this is going to be better than ESPN...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

scootertramp

hey lucky what type of volt meter do you have on your bike?
I've been looking them upand the homemade ones look cool only I just need on with three lights or a digital one.
fairly easy to hook up and all.
I wanna watch the rewind job close.
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Lucky

It's an inexpensive Autometer voltmeter. I'm keeping an eye out for a deal on a glyceryn filled one because the vibration of the bike has made it read low.  Glyceryn filled guages are generally expensive, you might want to go for the $5 Radio Shack LED one that has been mentioned elsewhere here.

Lucky

BTW, if you get a digital one you won't be able to read it at night...

gbranche

QuoteBTW, if you get a digital one you won't be able to read it at night...

One shouldn't have to be able to read it at night. If the system voltage gets low, things will eventually get dark!  :o

:)

Greg

GA_Wolf

There are some voltmeters, analog type on ebay...that's where I picked mine up...haven't had time yet to install it....hey Lucky..where did you tap in for yours.. I was thinking right after the ignition switch....

GA_Wolf

Oh, the analog one I got was for a boat...should help with the weather, instead of a regular car interior gage...

scootertramp

I have never bought anyting offen ebay.
it seems cool to do so.
I'll look into that marine voltmeter. it prolly is more money than a regular one.
I have an E-mail out to a designer/whiz to whip me up one of those homemade ones.
they seem really neat.

I'm trying to get the small connectors to come out of the plastic case but they don' wanna`!
OY!
I got a paperclip, a sharp thin scissor which worked for the bigger ones and a very tiny flattie driver.
them dang connectors won't come out!
they all green up in there.
the ones I got to come out are all clean and ready I got about three more connectors that won't cooperate(wires from plastic case)the connectors came apart just the wires are stuck for now.
they have resisted all efforts..

cause this is a

Dan Byers

BerNARD LaJolly:
  You have GOT to be kidding trying to raise the ire of someone as straightforward as Scoot.
As far as someone having the appearance of their female counterpart judged by the amount of time available to tinker (re: Scooter's rewind), you must be the biggest loser the motorsickle world has known, along with a wart-nosed troll for a companion. Having the time to retrofit FZ750 carbs to YOUR Vision ranked you MUCH higher on that imperfect scale you created to judge losers.

'Naut

scootertramp

QuoteBerNARD LaJolly:
 ?You have GOT to be kidding trying to raise the ire of someone

'Naut

them connectors(wires) are STOCK MON'! they no come from 'de boxes. why is dis so please?
P.S.
HEY NAUT FLAME OFF DUDE! jeesh!
just delete all your knocker stuff and I'll get the BOSS to fix the rest of it so it is a STATOR REWIND POST AGAIN. this ain't a knocker heaven for a bunch of flame artists. you guys really burn me up.
there... my "ire" has been raised...
not really! ahahahahA!
you don't have enough POWER to raise my ire. heee!HAWWW!
I have ALL the POWER OVER ME. ahahahah! today ME tomorrow the WORLD! ahahahaha!

and now back to our regularly shedyooled stator rewind post:

SO any hints short of rippin and a'tearing to get them danged connectors to come over to the light uh...
. I thank last time I used some sort of VULCAN MINDE MELD and I must have forgotten how cause them dang thangs jus' canna come loose captan! could they be some sort of klingon torture devices? those connectors?
DAMMIT JIM! I'm a rocket bike boy. (clickety whirr; dang) not a gypsy.. although DJANGO REINHARDT is quite goode..
cause this is a

Lucky

QuoteI thank last time I used some sort of VULCAN MINDE MELD and I must have forgotten how cause them dang thangs jus' canna come loose captan! could they be some sort of klingon torture devices? those connectors?
DAMMIT JIM! I'm a rocket bike boy. (clickety whirr; dang) not a gypsy.. although DJANGO REINHARDT is quite goode..

The really sad part is that I get all of that, the really really sad part of it is I'm soure lots of you guys do too...

Lucky

GA-Wolfe, If I remember right, I think I did tap it in to the ignition Switch..  It reads low, 13.6 when it's really putting out 14.4ish.  I suspect it could be due to the bikes vibration beating it up, but I haven't checked voltage drop accross the switch.  If I sell this bike & buy the 83 I want, I'll just swap dashes...

--Lucky

Brian Moffet

QuoteThe really sad part is that I get all of that, the really really sad part of it is I'm soure lots of you guys do too...

I don't get it.  

But then I'm not a bricklayer :-)

Brian

Walt_M.

I connected my Radio Shack LED monitor to the headlight circuit, works well there.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

wolfman

My VDO Marine Voltmeter ($5 from EBAy) is mounted in the dash panel of the Fairing (left side) and has wires running down the frame to the FUSED side of the fuse box "brown" wire connector and ground near the fuse box.  Readings seem to be right at what a voltmeter directly connected to the battery reads during all operating modes.

MotorPlow

QuoteIt's an inexpensive Autometer voltmeter. I'm keeping an eye out for a deal on a glyceryn filled one because the vibration of the bike has made it read low. ?Glyceryn filled guages are generally expensive, you might want to go for the $5 Radio Shack LED one that has been mentioned elsewhere here.

I have both an automotive voltmeter and one of these RadioShack LED Meters.  What I did was also buy from RadioShack the same connector that is on my battery charger/trickle charger and attached them to the LED RadioShack Meter.  Now I run the hard wired Volt Meter and the detachable LED Meter on the charger leads already attached to the bike.  I don't have the Voltmeter backlight hooked up, so the LEDs work great at night.

Chris

scootertramp

what powers the radio shack device?
how did you mount it?
maybe a digi pic?
cause this is a

gbranche

Quotewhat powers the radio shack device?

It's powered by the circuit that it monitors. Out of the package, it has an alligator clip on the positive lead, and a probe on the negative lead (or vice-versa). I clipped the alligator lead and probe off, stripped an appropriate amount of insulation off the ends, and then soldered the leads to a couple of wires in the bundle behind the headlight. If I remember correctly, I hooked up the red lead from the Radio Shack device to the brown wire coming off the ignition switch connector (on the wiring harness side of the connector, not the ignition switch side of the connector), and the black wire from the device to the black wire coming out of the kill/start switch connector. (Note: my memory may not be 100% correct on where I hooked up the positive lead, and I'm not willing to tear everything apart just to verify the connections. You should study the wiring diagram and decide for yourself which lead to use.) I wrapped the wires from the device with black electrical tape, just to keep things neat. In hindsight, I probably should have used black heat-shrink before getting everything soldered together.

Quotehow did you mount it?

I used a little silicone adhesive to "glue" it to the top triple clamp, just below the indicator light panel. Now, with 20/20 hindsight, I think that I probably should have used a little bit of "hook&loop" fabric, to allow easier removal if I ever have to disassemble the steering assembly. (I don't expect I'll have to, since I've already replaced the steering head bearings, but ya never know...)

Quotemaybe a digi pic?

Ask and ye shall receive...

Greg

scootertramp

IT CRUNK and crunk and crunk and crunk and crunk and crunk a few more times and DANG! change the plogs.  OH DUH!
That one plug I did first, you know which one; the JAPANESE TORTURE PLUG..  GAHHHH! then my other plogs were a different size and ahhhh! DANG back to the places and FOUND one only now my three eights drive is gone EVERY THING BUT a three eights .. DANG! went a'borrowin'. FOUND one got em changed and VROOM! HOLY COW I GOT MY ROCKET BIKE BACk.. LOL!
but sadly I have charging issues /15.65 at fifteen hunner'd. Maybe my RR maybe wireing I dunno.
MY RR is NOT correct. It has three white/one each,black,brown and red and green SO I was told to DISREGARD the green one.
its over charging around 15.75  about 5000rpms.
I wish I had about three of you wizards here about now.
We'd put a whuppin' ON IT!
I just revved it to 6K and it went to 16.PLUS
five K 15.75
IDLE 12 or 1300 rpms: 15.40

cause this is a