Started by scootertramp, April 28, 2004, 04:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scootertramp

test says My RR ain't REGULATIN//
HUH!
it's just a R
CAIN'T ?go ridin like that!
DANG!
there is NO where I can find a RR tomorrow.. ahahahaha!
I'm going scavenging..
I know a cat has an old six hunner'd in his back yard.. Hmmmm?
I got the RR from a six hunner'd RADIAN.. RR32 not 39..
could this be my prob?
the RADIAN HAS NO STATOR. so it don't need a regulator? anybody?
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Walt_M.

You have already fiqured it out, bad regulator. Good job on the stator though.
Whale oil beef hooked!

scootertramp

Actually with the thinner wire it was easier than the first time but I screwed up by putting the wires in the wrong place.
I was HIGH from all the spraying the epox insul spray on the core. I used a fan but still got lit up. then I accidently put every thing bassacwards.. I was so stoopid from the spray that I counted wrong and reversed the in's and outs. I kept forgetting which winde I was on .. I had to unwind many to make sure then REWIND OY!
I was stoned goode fashion. So I had to quit for a few hours.
I got a few loose and on one I had to space it with some insul paper. then SPRAY,spray,spray!
then I got it too thick and the stator would'nt fit into the flywheel. it kept hanging up and I was going why> what> then i saw how close the tolerances are and so I had to grind and sand and sand some more to make all the ends exactly even.  that was hail. then I got it all together and forgot to put oil in it and got all ready to crank it and said OH NO!
I almost crunk it . but did'nt.. I had to rest after that.
I used gasket maker sealant , very thin bead and NO leaks.
if the stator lasts a month i'll be hoppy.. no telling if it'll hold up. I MADE IT THE BEST i COULD although a true craftsman would have done better I'm sure. I cussed and stomped my way through it mostly. ahahahaha!
I'll have to replace all the soft head  stator screwbolts the next time I see 'em.. .
I'll rewind a few more 'a'fore it's all said and done..
about twenty bucks to rewind one. that and a LOT of elbow grease.
actually kind of rewarding.
it was a great feeling when It VROOMED into life,
oh yeah it's charging that batt NOW ahahahahA!

now if I could get into the WINDE!
cause this is a

h2olawyer

Hey Scootertramp -

Congrats on getting it charging!!  :) Now if it was just not trying to boil your battery.  You showed tons of fortitude going through that job twice.  Now that I have an old, fried one I may try my hand at rewinding it myself.  Sure have some good info for doing it thanks to your posts, questions and all the answers!  Thanks for keeping us all informed of what you were up to and how things were going most of the way through.  After looking at the one from Rick's, I think I might be able to do it at least as well as they do.

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

MotorPlow

Quotehow did you mount it?

It comes stock with a magnet on the back.  Since I wired it so that it can be detached, when I use it, I simply stick it to the tank with the magnet.

Chris

scootertramp

I've ?ridden hundred and fiddy miles (give or take ) on the REWIND..
I've tested before and after each ride and get NOMINAL NUMBERS so far.
A little higher or lower depending on batt drain.. Fan, starting and restarting at numerous stops leaving it on but not started, Ect... the usee RR I took offen a wrecked and junked virago is doin it's job although a back up is the order of the day.. .  did get the R.S. DEVICE but I'm still shy about cutting it in..
I know I need switched hot and a ground.. there are a LOT of wires in there.. I'm skedded veddy skedded. to rip and tear in there.
I do wish to monitor the stator and charging system closely..
I'm keeping a log so 'll know when things begin to go south.
While riding( IN TOWN,stopping at lights and all)I have noticed the HEAT NEEDLE Creeps ?beyond the normal 12:0clock position over towards (half the distance)but not into the red area.. These times are when I begin shaping plans for the waterpump over haul.
Although at fifty five ::) it goes to the middle of the green if not a little less..
the horn is very much louder these days..
Vroom 8)
cause this is a

QBS

Re: Water pump.  When you see liquid coming out out the water pump weep hole, worry about it.  Until then don't.

I don't understand why so many Vnaries, with so many other candidates to focus worry on, insist on protestations of doom regarding what is absolutely the most trouble free system on the bike.

Advice: (1) Change the engine coolent every two years using non silicone containing coolent.  (2) When the temp needle Touches (not gets close, but actually Touches) the red zone, become concerned.  (3) Until item #2 happens, forget about the cooling system.  Give yourself a break, and use your new found worry time to worry about something else more deserving of your worrying energy.

Cheers.