News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Resurrecting a 1982 Vision....

Started by musicweb, April 05, 2009, 08:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicweb

New to this board.....and thought I'd throw a few things out there...

Found this one in someone's backyard, sitting for almost 3 years.

Had to pretty much go through the whole bike, checking and fixing as I went along.
After 3 weeks it was ready for a test startup.
30 minutes of cranking, and recharging the battery, it finally started.
I let it idle for about an hour.
Tried to take it for a run, and it has bad surging, hesitation, stalling.....
Got back home, let it cool off, and tried again.
Starts, but still hunts at idle, and revs when trying to accel slowly.

Anyway, I did take the carbs apart. They were pretty nasty.
No soak, just spray cleaner and airgun used.

I'm guessing this was not enough, so I've ordered some Berryman's and another set of carbs.
I'll do a thorough job on these this time.

Any other suggestions are welcome.....

I had the bike painted, and the rest actually cleaned up quite well.
Except for a few spots on the engine that looks like tarnish.
Most comes off with some Scrubbing Bubbles and a small brass brush.

I'll post a picture when all cleaned up in a few days....

My old bike was a Honda 200 Twinstar, which developed shifting problems.
This is definitely a major step up for me!

Thanks for listening.....
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

funkamongus

Welcome ,
im new too! Going through her as we speak!!!Good luck to ya!!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Night Vision

ahoy, welcome aboard!

sounds like you have a pretty good start... keep at it and you'll be rewarded.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

musicweb

Just thought I would add that putting a multimeter across the battery while running shows about 12.86 volts, fluctuating +- .3

Is this OK, or is the stator bad?

Found no corroded or melted connections, but replaced all fuses with blade types.

Seems to crank slow....
1982 XZ550 Vision

Rick G

Check the voltage at 2500 rpm should be 13.5 to 14.5 volts/ You will need a Haynes manual or  a factory book Try eBay.
Vision carbs need to surgically clean . Dip them, but not longer than 30 min . The butterfly shaft seals can be damaged if left in the soup too long.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

musicweb

Thanks Rick,

I did buy a Haynes manual...which has proved to be very helpful in checking everything on the bike.

Should I remove the butterfly seals before dipping? I read a few places to soak for about 2 hours.

Forgot to mention I was also getting a slight drip from the drain hose. After checking, it's coming from both carbs.
I capped off the drain hose at the front carb for now.
1982 XZ550 Vision

Walt_M.

Don't try to remove the shaft seals! You would have to remove the throttle plate to do that and the screws are staked to the shaft. You would have a hard time getting them back as they were and need to be.
Whale oil beef hooked!

musicweb

OK....then I'll take Rick's advice and soak for 30 minutes. No problem.
1982 XZ550 Vision

QBS

DON'T block either drain hose.  Leakage out of the float bowl drains indicate gummed up or worn out float needle valves.  If you block the leaked fuels' exit, the valves will still leak, but instead of the fuel leaving the bike it will migrate into the crankcase and dulute your engine oil.  V needle valves can be very undependable.  I highly recommend that you install an inline fuel filter and an inline fuel cut off valve (available from most small engine/lawn equipment maintenance shops).  When the bike is not running turn off the in line valve.  Most needle valve leaks are not a problem when the bike is running.  Your stator output is low, probably indicating a bad stator.

xswheels

Another cause for leaking drains can be a corroded drain screw/seat. Pull your drain screws and polish them.

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=9884.msg89492#msg89492

YellowJacket!

Your surging and hunting for idle is most likely a leaking YICS box - the triangular box on the right side of the carbs.  The easy fix is to cap off the ports and try running it again.  Many choose to leave the ports capped and run without it but I can tell a big difference whne I have my YICS functioning properly.

Also to echo the others, your carbs need to be surgically clean.  That means disassembling soaking, dipping, cleaning...the works.

you say it sat outside for only 3 years?  Wow....thats good.  Most of ours sat longer.  ;-)

Welcom to ROV!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

funkamongus

but I can tell a big difference whne I have my YICS functioning properly.

I was wondering about that.. I capped mine, at least temporarily until I figure out everything else!! lol...
I own:

musicweb

My YICS seems to be fine. I took it off and tested each chamber with a hose and blew into it. No leaks apparent. But.....I pinched off the rear cyl hose while running, and the idle dropped, but pinching off the front cyl hose did nothing....no change.
1982 XZ550 Vision

Brian Moffet

Do that under water, if you didn't  It's really the only way to tell if there are slow leaks or not.

funkamongus

put mine back on for giggles.. rpm was way higher for some reason.. mellowed it out,, seems fine...I think it might be smoother.. Of course, this is in my garage, not the real world yet.
I own:

Rick G

They idle faster with the YIKS box in the system. That.s the only difference i can tell. My runs the same with or with out it.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

musicweb

So....this is where I'm at:

1. Waiting for carbs to come and I'll rebuild them after soaking. Took off the intakes....minor weather cracks, so sealed them up with 3 coats of liquid electrical tape.

2. Checked YICS box again under water. Tiny leak internally....so I took some of my Caswell tank epoxy and poured in each chamber to sit overnight. Checked this morning, and seems to be OK now. Only pain was getting the epoxy in there. I took an old baster and blew it in.

3. Tim Parrot wrote back to me about his Vision stators from ebay:

"We have only had 3 warranty stator in the past 3 years. the lastest one failed at 18 months. yes it was over the year warranty. However we covered it anyway . We have so few stators returned with a problem. we often cover them after the warranty time period has expired. If there are no signs of abuse or it was installed wrong.ie mashed lead wire in cover .To my knowledge no other stator will sub in for the stator used in a 82-83 xz550 vision.The cx 500 stator will not work in the vision. It is at least twice as wide as the stock vision stator. We dip out stators as a final coating stage in a 3m clear resin finsh. yes i would do a ac output test at around2500- 3500 rpm. To do so unplug stator. set meter to ac volts and test in combs between stator output wires. They should all be the same(1-2,2-3,3-1.. If there not it is a sign the stator is bad or starting to go bad. I would look for 45 to 65 volt ac." thanks tim

4. Took rear brake arm off to replace the bolts. One was in backwards....which makes me think they were replaced at one time.....but going to put new ones anyway. They are shoulder bolts, but I think regular ones will work OK.

5. Unplugged the carb drain hose and hooked it back up normally....seems to have stopped leaking.....but going to do the carb rebuild anyway.

6. Not sure what oil was being used by previous owner, so I got some 20w-50 Castrol and a new filter. OEM says 20W-40, but can't find it. Is there a better oil to use? Leary about going synthetic without knowing what was being used before.

That's about it........waiting for parts to come.....

Also noticed the exhaust collector box was a little rusting but no leaks. Is this a concern? Maybe I should coat it with some rust preventer while I have the side peg mount removed.....

1982 XZ550 Vision

Walt_M.

Perhaps Lucky's permanent post on brake are bolts is not emphatic enough! Do not replace the brake arm bolts with standard bolts! Get correct shoulder bolts and do it right.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

You need to get the correct shoulder bolts, or as I do, use an 8mm case  dowel to create the shoulder.
I prefer the dowel method as Yamahas OEM hardware for this application, is somewhat crappy. Use bolts that are at least grade 8.8 to grade 12.5. Regular bolts with no shoulder will allow too much movement and will probably result in catastrophic failure , at some point .
Rick G

Night Vision

Quote from: musicweb on April 08, 2009, 08:19:47 AM

........To my knowledge no other stator will sub in for the stator used in a 82-83 xz550 vision.......

sorry Timmy, there are.... I'm running a Hondo Shadow stator presently
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano