News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Resurrecting a 1982 Vision....

Started by musicweb, April 05, 2009, 08:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akvision

Call it   "Sweet V"  (sort of non political and appropriate.)
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

musicweb

Oh..... one thing I forgot to ask.

When I did my fork seals, was I sup[posed to tighten the cap nuts after lowering the bike to the ground, or while still jacked up?

I would think air pressure would be in the forks?
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

Rick G

I run 10 psi  I seem to remember seeing the max as 17 psi.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

musicweb

But there is no way to add or remove air in my 82 forks, Rick.

That's why I was wondering about the procedure.
It seems to handle fine, actually better now that there is equal oil in both forks.

Waiting for my new tires to come next Tuesday, and a possible fork bearing replacement at the same time.
1982 XZ550 Vision

Rick G

I have '83 sliders on '82 stanchions ,  but I drilled a hole in each fork cap and installed a brass valve salvaged from an old inner tube . I use a very small tyre pump to add air.  Some don't feel that there's any value to having air ,but I like the difference.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

musicweb

Curious as to everyone's experience with engine oils.

Any brands or viscosities better than others?

1982 XZ550 Vision

Rick G

I'm using Valvoline 20-50 semi synthetic. Synthetic and semi synthetic oils work well in the Vision and as a bonus it shifts much better.I'm using 20-50 because of the hot summers here, in winter or in cooler areas the factory recommended 10-40 is a good choice.
Amsoil is good as are other full synthetics, but I can't afford 10.00/12.00 a quart oil. Many like Mobil 1 , but it was reformulated 2 or 3 years ago and is considered by some to be inferior to the previous product.

What ever oil you use , make sure that it is NOT energy conserving. These types of oils are not suitable for use in motorcycles. Look on the back of the bottle ,in the circular "seal"  . if the words energy conserving appear in the bottom of the "seal "  , DO NOT USE IT.
Energy conserving means they have left out the zinc and other anti scuff ingredients that protect the engine on start up, to protect the catalytic converter from being "poisoned " .
Rick G

musicweb

Well, I was using Castrol 20w50, and it does say that on the back.

So I should go to a cycle dealer and get it? Or will a synthetic auto oil work as long as it is not energy conserving?

I have noticed some funky shifting sometimes, especially from 4th down to 3rd.
I hope that I didn't harm the engine in any way.

It's down for the new tires anyway for a few days.

Seems to start and run fine though.
The previous owner could not remember what he was putting in it, after sitting for 3 years.
1982 XZ550 Vision

Rick G

I'm using an automotive oil from Autozone.  Some have reported clutch problems with auto oils but I've used them since I bought the vision with, no clutch problems. And I give it no mercy.
You could used Torco racing oil , available at many Motorcycle stealers , its very good, but in the 10 to 12 dollar range.
Rick G

Night Vision

yamaha no longer makes 20-40 Yamalube... I never liked it much anyway.... seemed very runny during an oil change...
I used Mobil 1 20-50 and it was too slippery.... starter clutch would skip intermittently... plus $9 a qt.

I do like Valvoline 20-50 motorcycle oil.... about $4 at autozone pepboys type places.

read the back of any jug of oil.... they are mostly from Ashland, PA
Valvoline is a division of Ashland, inc.

I suspect oil is oil until a company adds their special herbs and spices, just like gas is gas in a pipeline until it gets to the [insert gas company name here] tank farm and is spiced up.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

After many years of Yamalube, I've been back & forth with Bel-Ray's full synth & semi-synth oils.  Both have been great.  I do notice some small amount of oil migration through the engine seals when I use the full synth.  None with the semi.  Runs cooler with either full or semi synthetics than it ever did on full dino oils.  Changing oil tomorrow & planning to use the Bel-Ray semi synth (or whatever semi-synth I can find now that the store I used to get it at closed).  The old oil has only about 200 miles (since the last stator change late last Summer) so I won't be changing the filter.  I will open up the filter cover & drain it, though.

Total agreement, the shifting is much smoother with the semi or full synthetics.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

I've been using 0-15w crisco. Works pretty well, smells good when it gets past the rings tho :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

inanecathode

It'd be pretty easy to make 82 forks air forks. Just drill and tap each cap for a shrader valve.

Rick G

Inane , is that a synthetic Crisco or a mineral base ? 
Rick G

Night Vision

I wouldn't recommend the crisco since they removed the transfat.... it was reformulated about a year ago. If you still have some of the old stuff, let me know... mum's pies just aren't the same.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Night Vision on May 13, 2009, 09:07:12 PM
mum's pies just aren't the same.

Real pie crusts use butter and vodka....

h2olawyer

Nothing makes a flakier pie crust than lard.  Ask any professional pastry chef.

I changed my oil today.  My preferred Bel-Ray was not available.  Got 3 quarts of Yamalube 10-50 semi-synth.  Expensive, but I normally don't put enough miles on in a year to need more than a Spring change - at least I wouldn't if i didn't keep frying stators every 1,000 miles.  (almost positive I have it licked now - the last one went 2500 miles & I know why it failed early)  An additional $30 for oil isn't that big a deal when doing the stator.  Sure glad I got a Cometic reusable gasket, though!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

musicweb

Doing the steering bearings at the moment.
Got it all back together this morning, but can't find a reference as
to how tight to get the tapered roller bearings.
I have them snug right now.

Anyone done the tapered bearings recently?
1982 XZ550 Vision

inanecathode

But seriously folks, i use 10 or 15 (30 or 40, it doesnt matter) as long as its not "energy conserving" it'll be fine. Seriously, these arent 100k mile bikes, it doesnt make a lick of difference what kind of oil you're running as long as its actually engine oil and you change it as often as you should.