Resurrecting a 1982 Vision....

Started by musicweb, April 05, 2009, 08:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h2olawyer

Quote from: musicweb on May 28, 2009, 04:28:54 PM
Doing the steering bearings at the moment.
Got it all back together this morning, but can't find a reference as
to how tight to get the tapered roller bearings.
I have them snug right now.

Anyone done the tapered bearings recently?

They need to be pretty snug or you will get speed wobbles.  I did mine by trial & error.  Got them snug, went for a ride, scared the $#!+ out of myself @ 35MPH.  Returned home, loosened the upper triple tree & tightened them down some more.  Mine might still be a touch on the loose side, but I get no speed wobbles and the steering is smooth.  Next time I have to take the fairing off, I'll probably tighten them a touch more.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 28, 2009, 05:07:29 PM
Quote from: musicweb on May 28, 2009, 04:28:54 PM
Doing the steering bearings at the moment.
Got it all back together this morning, but can't find a reference as
to how tight to get the tapered roller bearings.
I have them snug right now.

Anyone done the tapered bearings recently?

They need to be pretty snug or you will get speed wobbles.  I did mine by trial & error.  Got them snug, went for a ride, scared the $#!+ out of myself @ 35MPH.  Returned home, loosened the upper triple tree & tightened them down some more.  Mine might still be a touch on the loose side, but I get no speed wobbles and the steering is smooth.  Next time I have to take the fairing off, I'll probably tighten them a touch more.

H2O

Sure is something when they're tight, eh?
Mine made me weave if i didnt hold on tight enough..  Over correcting the stiffness or something.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kid Jedi

Not 100K? huh what mileage will i get before my vision explodes since i have been running full syn since about 6K.

Engine wear? Whats that? 8)
Loves to over think things.

Rick G

You should be sure to tell QBS that there not 100k bikes . He will be interested in that !
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

According to dminor, 39k miles is all you get.

Brian Moffet

Yes, but he has a tendency to go screaming down hills at 12000 RPM....

Brian

Rick G

At last count, Mr. Q had , I believe 88,000 miles and going strong. he's a reasonable rider. He  once rode from Calif. (I think), to Texas in one 1100 mile stint.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

I'm just relying on other peoples experience. After all I'm so green i should be riding a vespa <_<

musicweb

Will be taking the bike for a spin later today to test the steering bearings.
Found some references to other bikes for tightness.

Most said initial torque to about 40 ft lbs....then back off and torque to about 15 ft lbs.
Then stem bolt to about 80 ft lbs.

We'll see....

As far as checking the valve clearances, I think I'll wait.
Looks like a job just to check them.
A winter project for sure.
It's running OK right now, so I'll wait.
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

musicweb

On first run the steering bearings were too tight. Had to constantly "fight" with it.

Got home and loosened the locking nuts about 1/8 of a turn, and now it feels good.

Amazing what the new bearings can do....I can even let go and it stays on track.

Much smoother steering and cornering......

Definitely a nice upgrade!
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

h2olawyer

Glad you got them adjusted - I agree, tapered steering bearings are one of the top upgrades every Vision owner should make!  Ranks right up there with braided stainless brake line(s).

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.