News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

need new r/r

Started by funkamongus, April 05, 2009, 09:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funkamongus

evidently, I need a new R/R.. Im getting over 16 at the battery at Idle.. ha. which replacement seems to work best/longest?
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

supervision

I would unhook the brown wire, at he dc side of the reg/ and jumper it straight to the pos post. then see it it charges 14.5 ( Cut that wire just before the plug, and jumper on to it to the battery)    You now know if the reg works
" border="0

supervision

any brand, the bigger the better, used junkers are fine. as long is it is from a perminate magnet rotor, like we have.  I have a honda  with the sence wire hooked direct  (yama is br, hond is another color for each wire, some have built the sence wire inside, they work too)  All have 3 on the ac side and eighter 2 or 3 on the dc side .   It's easy to figuge out because of the wire size   
" border="0

Rick G

French the wrench , aka, Bernard La Jois  . recommended one from a Kwaker KZ1000, amoung others. I have been using one for 6 years. It has a bigger heat sync.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

When you do the replacement, very seriously consider installing the new unit on the left passenger foot peg for a better cooling environment.  Try to engineer your mounting system so as to insulate the unit from the intensive vibration coming from that mounting position.  I used extremely heavy duty 18 wheeler mug flap material as a "mounting plate"to mount the R/R on and then mounted it to the foot peg.  I positioned the R/R on the back side of the mounting plate for cosmetic and protection reasons.

Rick G

I mounted mine down there too and the vibration sawed the t shaped bracket of in about 6 months.
I added two faucet washers on the two mounting bolts and it has stayed on there for 5 years.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

funkamongus

turns out, its not the RR.. Im still going to consider this mod.. I thought about an aluminum plate, bent and raised panels to fit for the screws and back away from the sink itself, get that?? then attach either where you say, with rubber washers, or maybe up front on the down tube...Ill have to think about it.... I also thought about leaving it where it was and attaching a high flow CPU fan onto it.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!