News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Turn signals/clear brake light

Started by RadRacer, April 07, 2009, 09:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadRacer

What's everyone running for turn signals?  I have stocks on the front, but just pulled the saddle bags the PO installed, and they had the rear integrated into them; so, I'm stuck signal-less on the rear now and am looking for something to put there.  I'm thinking of working them into the brake light, which brings me to my next question; does anyone make a clear lense (or smoked) for our bikes?
~'97 3.8L V6 Camaro~   Cam'd daily driver
~'83 Yamaha XZ550RK Vision~   Cruiser :)

vadasz1

I think waht you see is ALL that there is on the market.  Not much aftermarket stuff for the V unfotunately.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

RadRacer

Well, I think I found some "universal" signals I'd like up front.  Guess I'll have to look into making a clear lense then :(

RadRacer

vadasz1

RadRacer: becareful what you buy.  Those are NOT approved by the DOT.  If you want to make sure LEOs don't bother you, then try getting DOT approved lights.

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

RadRacer

I know they're not DOT approved; they don't seem to enforce that as much around here, and I don't plan on giving them a reason to pull me over either.

Walt_M.

Well, they might bother you if your turn signals don't work. Yamahas of our vintage have self cancelling turn signals and they require a certain amount of current to operate. I think you can put a standard non-cancelling flasher on it but I don't know which model you would need.
Whale oil beef hooked!

RadRacer

Already have an electric flasher for the Vision :)

vadasz1

Where did you get the flasher?  Waht make & model?

RadRacer

Haven't actually tried it out yet, but superbrightleds.com sells "universal" ones for bikes. I'm going to put mine on this week sometime

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Walt_M. on April 07, 2009, 03:38:09 PM
Well, they might bother you if your turn signals don't work. Yamahas of our vintage have self cancelling turn signals and they require a certain amount of current to operate. I think you can put a standard non-cancelling flasher on it but I don't know which model you would need.

I found this out totally by accident.  The self canceling mecahnisim is part of the speedometer!  There is a sensor that sees that the speedometer is moving and cancels the signal after a certain period of time.  If you are at a stop light and not moving, they will not cancel.  My self - canceller is now my thumb...if I remember.  :-o
I agree mostly with the DOT thing...dont want the LEO's looking for a reason to stop you.

David

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

RadRacer

1- how are they going to tell they're not DOT as I'm driving down the road?  Don't give them a reason to stop you and you should be fine. Worst comes to worst ill pull the "they were there when I bought it" deal. 2- I've been driving my car with non-DOT lights all around; were talking about a bright red sportscar that's been mod'ed, sticks out like a sore thumb, and is generally speeding. No remarks about them yet except the ocasional "they look good" from the cops :P

Back on track, signals came in yesterday. I installed them up front and put the larger stock signals in the back and the bike looks a lot sleeker now. Before I had stockers up front with hard bags in the back

Kid Jedi

ya I got pulled over wile i was riding my gpz 550 because my lights were too small. I think he was just looking for an excuse to pull me over. Cops can be real ass-hats some times.
Loves to over think things.

RadRacer

Quote from: vadasz1 on April 07, 2009, 08:28:05 PM
Where did you get the flasher?  Waht make & model?

http://www.superbrightleds.com/flashers.htm

Very bottom of the page there's universal motorcycle ones.  Either one will work, cuz you're going to have to put different plugs on the end of the wires; I got the one with banana plugs.  Find the flasher unit behind the battery on the bike and unplug it.  Put some spade ends (the flat square ones) on your new flasher; hold the plug on the bike with the middle pin down.  The black wire goes in the middle pin (on the bottom), and the grey wire goes in the left vertical pin.  This is how mine's wired up and so far has been working great; only downside is the self-cancelling doesn't work, but I'm sure someone can figure that one out (I would if I had the cash to pick up a few different flasher units).  I didn't even know out bikes had self-cancelling flashers, cuz I always turn them off after the turn......

Took the bike out for her first real ride after the "make over" ( -saddle bags, +new signals, cleaned the carbs, replaced the battery, and installed the electronic flasher), and am really impressed.  Bike handles great with less weight on the rear, pulls hard as heck from 4K +, and looks and sounds great :)