News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

It's only two more bolts

Started by CasaJones, April 07, 2009, 09:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasaJones

I have posted very sporadically in the past but today merits more than a question.

A brief history.  A year and a half ago I was welcomed into the world of the Vision.  It is a fun bike that runs most of the time.  It was so fun to ride that a year ago I bought another one for $300 that needs an engine replacement because it wont stay in second gear when it accelerates.  No problem.  I found an engine in Austin TX for $100.  All I needed to do was change out the engine and away I ride into the sunset.  HA.

It all starts with 2 bolts.  Then 2 more bolts.  Then 2 more...  ;D (I am laughing as I am writing this.)  I have argued with myself as to how far I am going to strip down the second (I call her the Twin Twin or TT.  It is red and just like the first V-twin) to get it back up.  Only two more bolts and now I am taking off the rear mud guard to clean the mud and clean up around the rear end.  Why not pull out the hose and spray it down?  It is just 2 more bolts.  Pretty soon I will 2 more bolt myself to just the frame so I can clean, sand, and paint it up and make it look really cool like a lot of you other Visionaries.

In 2 more bolts I'll have something else apart so I can find 2 more and so on and so on...

In the mean time I have a "honey do".  The kitchen drain is clogged.  Wait honey do's... Doesn't that mean that my honey do's it? :D

I am beginning to get the Vision of the vision.  A lot of fun to rebuild and then ride, then fix, then ride. 

Just like life :)

The best part is that I don't really have a clue what I'm doing here.  I do have the manuals and this forum.  I have read more than I have posted.  I'll start to do more posting.
2- red 82 xz550s --- they're twins!

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who do not"  widely credited to Thomas Jefferson

YellowJacket!

Yep, I started with the two more bolts mindset and ended up with several neatly organized boxes and cardboard mockups of parts in my garage for over a year.  One thing became another and what started as a mostly fully assembled bike became nothing but parts.  But over time, it took shape, was cleaned, painted and reassembled...with only tow extra bolts left over :-o

In the end, it was well worth it.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

just a word of caution..... too much of a good thing can be addicting...

having a spare parts bike is a good thing... but be careful because the next thing you know, it's too nice to be a parts bike....

and you can't ride two Visions at the same time  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Brian Moffet

At least when I started my rebuild, I knew it was going to go pretty far (though it did not go as far as I feared :-) )

Brian

CasaJones

The current 'plan' is to keep the running one running.  It will be the 3D model to put togther the second. 

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who do not"  widely credited to Thomas Jefferson

CasaJones

Good idea David, to have boxes with hand schematics on them.  At the rate I'm going I'll make several trips to the bolt store.  I can take 'em off. It's keeping them in order that is the trick :)

akvision

CJ don't get discouraged...pretty soon you will run out of bolts to remove.  Then, it will be time to assemble.  Take the "honey do's" as a thoughtful time for "deep thoughts" about your future Vision.   This is good advice.

For perspective,
I have been working on my old Beemer since 1998 when I started two bolting it.. then I got bored and set it aside.
Then, I spotted this dead Vision at Steele's M/C Salvage with 5k miles.  It was forlorn but looked sound.   My son inspired me.  "I will have it running and ready in no time. said he.   Dang,says I, I have to get that Beemer going and trade it out...so here we are, I am on schedule and plan to ride it in the 4th of July Local Community Parade.   What is it?  Spark, compression, and gas.  It should run.. I have faith in the future.  I'm taking it to Denver in September.   The vision is coming to Ketchikan! 8)

akV
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

YellowJacket!

Quote from: CasaJones on April 07, 2009, 11:07:18 PM
Good idea David, to have boxes with hand schematics on them.  At the rate I'm going I'll make several trips to the bolt store.  I can take 'em off. It's keeping them in order that is the trick :)

And take lots of photographs.  Even though I had the Haynes Manual and Lucky's CD, the pictures helped a lot too.

David

CasaJones

Pics for before and then after... So I can say later "Where does that bolt go? :-\ ?" and then I'll know. :D

Brian Moffet

And if you do have a set of pictures you want to be available on the web (no, I'm not talking 5000+ here) let me know.  I have some space.

akvision

I keeps pieces in boxes with labels and used sandwich bags for small parts with a note in each one.
At this point I cannot locate "2 special D shaped bolts".  :'(   But it is not done or over yet.

good luck with your rebuild.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

CasaJones

That is great advise to AK.  I am going to have to get files/bags for all the little items.  I will do that before the parts are spread all across the garage.

I am getting more exited to put Twin Twin back together again.  Fortunately the gent I bought the first one from is near by for advise.  He has been around motorcycles for a while and loves to tinker.  Me, I just like to tinker.  Great at pulling things apart but horrible at putting it all back together.  I can enVision this one going back together though.

Night Vision

don't forget to exorcise the gremlims..... make sure your other Vision is nowhere near when you do this.....

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Oh man that black motor looks good!!

David

Rick G

I guess it depends on your point of view . I have never liked black motors. Makes me think they were too lazy to polish it . I really like polished aluminum.  But then opinions are like a$$ hole, everyone has one!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Quote from: Rick G on April 09, 2009, 05:19:50 PM
I guess it depends on your point of view . I have never liked black motors. Makes me think they were too lazy to polish it . I really like polished aluminum.  But then opinions are like a$$ hole, everyone has one!

and they all stink  ;)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

Now, is that the opinions or the a$$ holes?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

RadRacer

~'97 3.8L V6 Camaro~   Cam'd daily driver
~'83 Yamaha XZ550RK Vision~   Cruiser :)