News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Stator life vs distance you ride your vision each trip

Started by Kid Jedi, April 10, 2009, 12:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Jedi

I want to collect some information on stator life

Please reply with how long your stator lasts in miles, How far you ride your bike per ride, and what upgrades you have on your bike that set it apart from stock (synthetic oil, coolant additive, removed the connectors from the charging system oil cooler...)

Example:

I went ~3.7k on one stator,  ~140 miles per day, and I Beat the living hell out of my bike, red line at least 3 time per ride

I run full synthetic, R/R cooler, coolant additive (water wetter), and removed all connectors form the charging system.

But I have heavy duty headlight, and a full passenger to rider intercom.

If we get enough info we might be able to find some trends.
Loves to over think things.

Lucky

we already know why ours fail.  the stator is oil cooled, & the top 1/3rd gets less than it needs.  also, poor electrical connectors build up resistance & contribute to the heat problem.  clean ALL the connectors on the bike, move the R/R to the footpeg bracket, eliminate the R/R connectors & directly solder the wires.

Also, I installed an oil cooler on mine & haven't looked back.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kid Jedi

Loves to over think things.

Rick G

OK, I ride about 5 to 8 thousand miles a year . Always ride at least 150. miles , sometimes as much as 300.
Stator was installed in 2005 , was nearly new , and appears to be OEM. My 2003 Eletrex is waiting in the wings, as  is my Viagara used stator. I run pretty hard, cruse at 80 to 90 mph  and flog the hell out of it in the twisties.
I  have run synthetic oil or semi synthetic since 2005 ,when I put the engine together.Change the oil at 2500 miles.
The RR is from a KZ1100 and is mounted on the left muffler /passenger footrest mount. All the plugs were cut out 10 years ago.I run a 100/130  watt head light.
All this has been worked out years ago and you should review all the archived posts to see the "order of  assembly" of this problem .
In the end its not really a vision problem is a motorcycle problem . Many bikes have had stator issues , GS550 Suzukis HD big twins, many Hondas. its a crappy system , running the alternator wide open all the time and dumping what isn't needed as heat. But then, GL Hondas have an excited field alternator and they cook too. Automobiles have alternator failures, just not as frequently , probably because theirs don't live in as harsh environment as bike stators.
In a perfect world none would break , but then its not a perfect world!!

We have had many enthusiastic Visionaries  join this forum and feel the could solve the riddle and prevent stator failure. More power to them , but I don't believe its possible , not at any reasonable cost . Some believe that Yamaha now sells a OEM , improved stator, that is more reliable, could be , but I haven't seen any proof of this. Any way its 400.00 and I'm not willing to pay that much. Not many are.  .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

I mostly commute on my bike, since I bought it in 1986.  about 15 - 20 miles per day. Total mileage now is 43,000 miles.  Original stator and R/R. Not original connector between the two.  I replaced it with one that the same metal on the male and female sides.

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

jasonm.

My '83-average 100 to 150 miles per ride w/one stop during the ride. 90% back roads. Turn signals are also running lights.  I have a 165  degree thermostat. So on any day below 75 degrees...she's running very cool. Changed my stator connector just before it fried @14k. Now @30+k still on original stator.I do not redline the bike when she's hot. But when cool...yes , after she'd running for at least 10 minutes.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

QBS

KidJ, read some of my posts regarding the V cooling system.  You may be amazed.  The stator that went to the 105F Mahavi Desert, and later did an 1100 mile run home in 17 hours 10 years ago, is still good to go today.