pads for valve adjustment

Started by funkamongus, April 10, 2009, 05:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

funkamongus

Yamaha has decided these are made from plutonium. Im going to do an adjustment.. does anyone have any pads?? If I need 1-3 at 24 plus a pop, Ill hate it, but, I can get a "kit" for 140. does anyone feel a need to adjust and need some shims?? I coudl use some offsetting of the cost of a kit... they want over 80 for the damn tool.  Is this something we can all somehow benefit by??
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

inanecathode

Do you know you're out of adjustment yet or not? Its important to know the correct shims before you buy them :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian Moffet

Check to make sure you need it first. I went 40,000 miles before I needed to change 1 pad...

Brian

funkamongus

yeah,, got all that,, have a tool coming to make sure,, My rear jug is tapping petty loudly,, its only a guess,, but Im gonna need at least 2 shims.. Maybe Ill get lucky and find out the PO did it, or had it done, and they just put them in the wrong heads. Got em backwards.. but,, if not,, gonna have to buy some....
I own:

The Prophet of Doom

There's a thread on here somewhere about making a tool out of a spanner

The shims are common across a whole shitload of bikes.  Check your local dealer - before mine went bust he sold used ones for just a few bucks.

funkamongus

the local dealer (Michael's Cycles, Carson City,, they've been good to me, even good prices sometimes, so, I was taken aback). is where I got those prices.. Gotta look around,, I will when I find out exactly which ones I need. I saw that thread,, its over my head.. I dont have the tools or knowledge/experience to work to those tolerances, yet. bummer
I own:

Coil Coyle

Quote from: funkamongus on April 10, 2009, 09:23:22 PM
yeah,, got all that,, have a tool coming to make sure,, My rear jug is tapping petty loudly,, its only a guess,, but Im gonna need at least 2 shims.. Maybe Ill get lucky and find out the PO did it, or had it done, and they just put them in the wrong heads. Got em backwards.. but,, if not,, gonna have to buy some....
The Kawasaki shop and BMW have them too. That gives you a choice of dealers. They might charge you less if you take in the old ones and just pay for a swap, they don't wear out if they have oil in the engine.

$0.02
;)
Coil

jasonm.

These shims also fit the old XJ air cooler beasts. My dealer is so nice...he just gives then to me at no charge. He has a hundred or so in different sizes for these. He knows its good to keep the old rare ones going.  As far as the tool.  You can use a Vmax/Venture tool cut down on each side a few thousandths. They are a common tool, and far less expensive than the Vision one. I was told the Vision tool was not available.  Guess it is available , but expensive.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

funkamongus

yeah,, I did find pads,, I found the yamaha part number, plugged it in to google,, got boats.net.. Ive ordered from them before,, FAST, good quality, good prices.. Pads are about 15 something each.. I'll find out which ones I need,, get them,, then make available, here, the ones I take out..
I own:

inanecathode

Thats the crappy part about shim-in-buckets. You have to actually disassemble the whole thing to THEN find out which parts you need. Then you get to wait until they come in, THEN you get to reassemble the whole kit.
Give me rockers with screw adjusters any day  ;)
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

funkamongus

Yeah,, thats the way the 82 920 is, screw adjusters, surprising to me that 2 bikes,, same manufacturer, same year, are so different. its good for me, though, Im learning more this way.
I own:

kwells

well a set of feeler gauges will tell you what shims you need.  No need for total disassembly to determine that.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

funkamongus

I need the tool to do that, though, dont I? Please understand Im a newbie if its a stupid question... I have feeler gauges,,So, can I open it and use feeler gauges to find out what I need without the valve tool?
I own:

kwells

the valve tool depresses the bucket so that you can get the shim out.  You will want to measure the distance between the cam and the shim while the cam is in the bike and the shims are in normal position to determine if the distance is too great or too little before deciding what shim you need to swap, if any. 

www.wellsmoto.com

kwells

u want to do this check when the engine has completely cooled overnight.  The cam lobe should also be facing away from the shim and be in the 'closed' position for this check.

www.wellsmoto.com

funkamongus

ahhhhh.. I see.. cooled overnight,, This is really good info,, You're saving me some time, brother,, I appreciate it.. I wonder about the rubbers goodies that are on the outside of the head, the semi-circle rubbers, Mine leak..  IS there something I should watch for? Will I need a gasket?
I own:

kwells

you may have to replace the valve cover gaskets if they tear or are cracked and leaking.  They should be available at the dealership or online.

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

Quote from: kwells on April 11, 2009, 01:39:04 PM
you may have to replace the valve cover gaskets if they tear or are cracked and leaking.  They should be available at the dealership or online.

And the rear one is a royal pain in the ass to get back on.... (I used a bit of fuel-lube grease to hold the gasket into the groove when putting the back valve cover back on).  The only time you need the tool is if you're actually going to replace one.  I borrowed the tool from someone, but I've been on the forum for so long I'm a very well-known person...

Brian

funkamongus

yeah, I managed to borrow one, too.. Im new, but Im trustworthy A, and I need you guys WAY worse than you need me B,!!!  Xvision is taking a chance on me,, I wont let him, or you guys, down. I will also, Im guessing, have some pads to offer up for the forum.. will my grey gasket material from napa work on the valve covers? It says its ok for gas and oil..

PS to the mods or whoever tries to keep posts straight,, Im sorry but it seems I have a few threads on the same things.. I didnt mean to do it that way and I hope its not too much trouble to keep things clean.. Im still trying to figure out the etiquette on forums so, if you have a note or suggestion,, dont hesitate,, I sure appreciate your forum and want to be as respectful as I can...
I own:

funkamongus

ahh, but, the numbers on the pads are on the bottom of the pad, yes? SO, I cant get to the pads until I have the tool.. I can make measurements but cant order the pads until I see the bottom side of the ones in it. damn
I own: