News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Stainless steel brake lines

Started by kev10104, April 10, 2009, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev10104

I took a trip to Tigers today and we put on the stainless steel brake lines and they work like a charm.I know why he swears by these now.We also changed the front pads and put a voltmeter on which still has me tickled pink.Thanks again Tiger.We also met a new Vision rider in Adam.What a fantastic day.

Tiger

:) Your very welcome Kev...I had a great day with you and Tammy & helping you fix your "V" 8)

This is what we got through today...

8) New steering head roller bearings installed.

8) New Galfer S.S.Braided Brake lines installed.

8) New brake pads.

8) New Digital 5 function volt meter wired in.

8) Back rest/rack fitted.

:) A long but very productive day...which, I feel sure, Kevin benefited from in his quest to get to know his Vision a wee bit more...Kev is very much in to his Vision which makes it that much more enjoyable to work on 8) 8)

I had done some prep work first, before Kevin arrived...From the "donor" '83 we picked up the other week, I had removed the steering head, cleaned & painted it as well as installing the lower bearing to it. The front calipers were also removed, stripped, cleaned and rebuilt ready for installation on Kevin's ride...this obviously saved a wee bit of time... ;)

With the '83 having the full fairing I decided that it was easier to remove it to "Fix" the front end...Mirror's, Indicator's, lowers and main fairing upper with windshield were all removed and set aside :o

The only real problem that we ran into was the front brakes wouldn't bleed off...until I realised that both bleed nipples were knackered :o ::) Once changed...VOILA!!!

Everything else went like clockwork really... 8)

...and as Kev mentioned, we had a visit from Adam, aka "The Beast" from Hamilton, Ontario who recently acquired a couple of '82 Vision's and required some parts. Welcome to the family Adam... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

kev10104

I am still smiling from ear to ear.It is so exciting and enjoyable to me to learn from such a willing and patient person.lol.Still smiles even with the stupid questions.What a fatastic day.Thanks again.

kwells

I would like to add a voltometer.  What model did you go with?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiger

8) LOL No such thing as "Stupid questions"...only stupid answers... :P Its always easier to teach someone who needs to learn 8)

Quote from: kwells on April 10, 2009, 10:28:24 PM
I would like to add a voltmeter.  What model did you go with?

:-\ Hmmmm, good question...Kev' you have the info from the packet so you can answer this one... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

funkamongus

Im waiting for the answer to that, too, as Id like one..I want SS lines too,, cut your own or get em pre-measured?
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

kev10104

It says Show Chrome accessories.Digital 5 function volt meter.It is awesome.It has volt monitoring,clock,thermometer,ice alert(I could probable use that hey Tiger?) and a stop watch.I believe it was $35.99.

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Aelwulf

IIRC I got the stainless lines for my '82 off eBay.  They were a pre-packaged Galfer set I believe.  There should be a number of options in history threads.  They definitely improved things.

A few options perhaps:

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=6213.0

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=5665.0

http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=236.0

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

musicweb

QuoteIt says Show Chrome accessories.Digital 5 function volt meter.It is awesome.It has volt monitoring,clock,thermometer,ice alert(I could probable use that hey Tiger?) and a stop watch.I believe it was $35.99.

Hey Kev....I got one of those digital meters, same as yours.

Where did you guys mount it? Not sure how weatherproof it is.....
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

kev10104

We mounted it right on the dash.It is a perfect spot for it and I am sure they are weather proof.I will try and post a photo.

musicweb

Do you mean just below the ign switch/lamps assy?

I thought there, but was worried about the weather if ever it rained on it.
1982 XZ550 Vision

kev10104

No.Just below the windshield.My camera is charging then I will post a photo for you.It is the perfect spot.

musicweb

I think you have a full faring....mine is just a sport fairing.

There is no room above my speedo/tach....well, maybe 1/4".....

I may need to fabricate some kind of bracket.....
1982 XZ550 Vision

kev10104

sunburnedaz

Ok so I am total n00b on this with the vision. So you are telling me that the SS braided line on my 82 is not factory? My buddy who I bought it from thought that it was a factory option.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Tiger

Quote from: sunburnedaz on May 06, 2009, 01:48:34 PM
OK so I am total n00b on this with the vision. So you are telling me that the SS braided line on my 82 is not factory? My buddy who I bought it from thought that it was a factory option.

:) Aftermarket my friend, for sure... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

sunburnedaz

Ha guess my buddy was wrong. I figured it might have been factory because the lines are not covered in the vinyl outer jacket like most of the aftermarket ones are.
1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Rick G

OEM are covered in black rubber .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike