News:

Main Menu

Taking the bike to a car wash

Started by Kiwi, April 03, 2010, 02:21:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

I wanna get my engine all nice and clean. 
Can i take it to a car wash ( the do it yourself kind, with the high pressure hose) ?

A friend of mine suggested oven cleaner on the engine and then washing it off... that sounds... well odd
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

fret not

Read the list of ingredients on the MSDS for your oven cleaner.  Most of that stuff has strong base chemical which will do a bad thing to aluminium.  Your auto parts store will have engine cleaner that will service well.  We used to use gasoline to wash greasy parts, not politically correct anymore and more toxic too.  Paint thinner will work.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Tiger

:) I power wash all the Visions when I bring them in for rebuilds...however, be carefull of bearing/seal areas.

I sometimes use a brush on paint stripper to remove the old clear coat and then wash off.

Then apply a good quality aluminum cleaner (think aluminum wheels!!) and wash off again.

Now, using something like 'Mothers Aluminum Polish' you can polish up that motor...Ummm, I pass on this part!! LOL

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

67GTO

If the grease is real thick I'll use Gunk Foaming Engine Degreaser and a parts cleaning brush.

but if it's not too bad I'll use Westleys White Wall cleaner and a soft brush.

I wont leave either one on too long, and make sure you hose it all off real good
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

QBS

Power washing can be really bad for the health of bearing, seals, electrical switches and related connections.  It can easily force water into tight places that are intended to remain water free forever.  And, once in, the water can't get out with obviously bad results.

For best results use an appropriate degreaser (think Gunk and the like), and take your time to love on and get to know your bike.  This also gives you a closer inspection of the nooks and crannies that might reveal problems before they become problems.

67GTO

I agree with QBS, Think garden hose, not powerwasher :)

YellowJacket!

When I read the title this morning I almost spewed my coffee all over my laptop again.  I had visions kiwi riding a Vision through an automated car wash...turning brushes and all.

8)

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Quote from: YellowJacket! on April 03, 2010, 01:41:45 PM
I almost spewed my coffee all over my laptop again. 
David

At this point I think it's safe to classify this as a "Drinking Problem" lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

GT @ oh.

I used engine cleaner when she was near new and off came the clearcoat and soon came the tarnished look DOH!

67GTO

If you want the engine to shine, the clearcoat needs to come off. No other
way to do it.

Dan

kev10104

Armored_Hearse

A good hand-wash also allows you to get up close and see if anything is wrong with the bike.  --  John

inanecathode

I'll take the bikes to the carwash, but i'm not stupid enough to be close enough to the bike with the wand to blast holes in anything.

Presoak spray from a distance, soapy scrubby brush (only after blasting dirt out of it with the rinse), then a rinse from a distance. That water slows down pretty quick, just ends up being an all over garden hose experience.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

vadasz1

I wonder if going thru a touchless carwash while on the bike would cause any damage to the rider? 

I can just see kiwi being flung off the bike and landing falt on the wall.  Like somthine from the old WB cartoon days.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Kiwi

A touchless car wash might be a good way to test wet weather gear  ;D.  But would the thing that grabs your car tire and pulls you along be able to grab a motorcycle tire.... or perhaps it could grab the bike and pull it along riderless !
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Lucky

my engine was a mess, i striped it & polished it for a few years, but hated the upkeep time.  i've since painted it with chromium-aluminum industrial paint from Ace.  it's a brush on, but levels right out.  the color almost perfectly matches the final drive & looks good even close up.

we're going to do Kits engine the same...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black