News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

cold starts

Started by kev10104, April 15, 2009, 11:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev10104

My bike takes several tries to keep going from a cold start.I adjusted the clutck today and thought it would work but after work today it was the samething.Starts right away but dies.Ant ideas?

h2olawyer

How much choke do you use when cold starting?  Could also be low fuel level in the float bowls.  Try using the "PRI" setting on the petcock for a minute or so before starting.  That lets the carbs fill before starting.  That's what fixed the same issue with mine 25 years ago.   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kev10104

It actually leaks some gas after riding for a bit and I park it.Tiger figured it was the floats as well.

YellowJacket!

My cold start ritual is 1/2 choke, 3 twists of the throttle and hit the start button.  If its been sitting a while, it takes 2 tries, less than a couple weeks...it fires right up.
One important factor is a fully charged battery.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kid Jedi

wow thats completly diff from me! full choke, starts right up, turn off choke after 9 sec and wait for her to warm up!
Loves to over think things.

QBS

Sounds like you've got pretty clean carbs that are well dialed in, at least in the pilot circuit.

kev10104

I was giving it the full choke and leaving it on for a few minutes.I will try different things.With the warm weather it will fire up no problem.I am assuming it is dieing because it is not getting enough gas right away but I could and probably am wrong.I am learning and loving it.Tiger has been a tremendous help.

h2olawyer

I rarely need more than about 1/2 choke.  Set to PRI, wait a little while - 15 seconds or so - fire up.  Let idle a little bit, set petcock to RUN, start riding easy.  After about a block or two I can then shut off the choke.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Before, with the custom vacuum leak system, i'd do full choke, two pumps on the throttle, crack it a bit and hit the starter. Then i'd have to clear the plugs out a bit then it'd idle fine and rev up when it wants the choke taken off.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kev10104

I noticed yesterday that I would have to put the choke on before starting it after riding and taking an hour break.The bike would die if i didn't.Usually when it was warmed up I wouldn't have to do this.

Lucky

i have an unproven theory that valve adjustment had a great bearing on cold starting...no proof, just 'cause i think so :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kev10104

Lol.Sounds good to me Lucky.

Rick G

Lucky is right ! I have a MAxim in my back yard that needed the valves adjusted . It was next to impossible to start and had no low end.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike