Interbike fairing transplanting

Started by QBS, April 19, 2009, 05:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Over the years there have been several threads regarding making fairings to fit the V.  The other day I had an Epiphany.  Was looking at a picture of an R6 Yamahopper and the thought crossed my mind that for some of our more creative and ambitious Vnarys, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to mount a late model upper fairing from any number of brands onto a V.  Since so many sportbikes over the years have come with pretty upper frame mounted fairings, junk yard or eBay sourcing shouldn't be a problem.

Concerns involved would be:

1. Either adapting the donor fairings' attachment hardware to work on a V, or creating mounting hardware from scratch.

2. Modifying the V handlebar setup so as to have it clear the donor fairing.

3. Possibly modifying the donor fairing to work with the results of #2 above.

4. Determining which fairing would be the easiest to adapt/best to base the project on from all of the many different fairings available during the last 10 years or so.

Kid Jedi

I don't like that project. what I love about the V is her lines and shape. and modern sport bikes all look the same, like electric razors on wheels.  and putting one of those on my V would be sacrilegious!  ;D
Loves to over think things.

QBS

One of our Vnary bretheren put a Ducati Monster headlight on his '82.  Its' large diameter looked good.  The bike may be in the gallery section.  I don't recall his name.  He was pretty active last year.