News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

AKVision's Vision. Out in the sunlight

Started by rhpaw, April 27, 2009, 01:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhpaw

I figured since this bike is ... done-ish. I might as well post some pics of what it should look like in more usefull setting than under tools and crap in the garage.

Therefore, I give you, OUTSIDE THE GARAGE.

Still some throttle delivery issues to work out, but as you can see I have the rest of the fairing on, side covers and yics installed.

It's almost like a proclimation of success.. (almost)
AKVision will arrive here in Denver Wednesday. He'll come in late and I'm sure will have a very hard time sleeping that night.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

rhpaw

ah, just got an email.. looks like AKvision is busy too.

He said it started up fine and besides some issues with lights it's just perfect.

Tiger

8) Superb, well done RH... 8) Amazing what a wee bit of time, patience, elbow grease, some "know how" & $$$ will get you...or get your dad in this case!!!

Looking forward to your dads "road report"... ;)

8).......TIGER........ 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

rhpaw

I'm sure we'll post a ride report in a few days when we're heading all over Colorado for a shakedown.

(if it stops snowing)

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Night Vision

actually, if you put the 83 rearsets on your Vision (can't tell if you have the short '83 risers or not)
the ergonomics look like they would be very similar to the bimmer. the bars are three position adjustable in case you didn't already know...

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

They are adjustable, too low, too high and this ain't no good either! :D :D :D :D :D Thats why I put real bars on mine.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

akvision

Thanks for doing that Rhpaw.

Yeah, it is sweet to just look at and to ride.  Thanks for the look and support, guys.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

tt315

I have nothing to add but I wouldn't mind having a Westy sitting next to my vision, that would be a perfect garage.

CasaJones

2- red 82 xz550s --- they're twins!

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who do not"  widely credited to Thomas Jefferson

akvision

So, I am here in Littleton... I was so excited to get on the bike that when I took it off the stand, I almost dropped it.  What a start.
You know, it weighs 50# more than the Hanz and is just BIGGER.   So we started it and warmed it up.  All systems go. Good voltage and all things seemed to be working well...
So a short ride around the block to get a feel for low speed handling.  A check ride so to speak.  All good so far.  Good clutch, good low speed throttle and good brakes.  Remember the last bike I rode was a 49 year old beemer just re-assembled.  So great brakes, "two fingers" so the speak goes.   After 20 minute check out, I come back to the house and we gear up.  New jacket, leather pants, gloves, heavy boots and bucket. 
First we go to tank up. I learn that the tank is easy to overfill.  So I spill some gas. Phew! sh.tttt. Ok, what a start.  My kid is looking at me and doesn't say a thing.  His mom says he is really smart.  Proof there.

So we head out down the road.  Haven't been over 40 mph yet.  Here it comes, I grab the throttle and roll it on... ok 2k, 3K, 4k,,,,,,bumble, bumble 4.5, stumble, go , nogo, go, nogo, all the way to 7K then it settles in.. so over and over the same.
It will settle in at a rpm but stumbles to get there.  We go about 100 miles doing this and so long as the throttle is not opened toooo fast all seems sort of ok... We are out by Sedalia??   I say lets go home.
We get home and lets that the carbs off and redo.  So, we do.  They are not too bad, but they are not pristine either.  So a piece at a time clean,clean,clean,clean.    So front all buttoned up and clean.  All is in good order.  New jets and fittings from kit

Back carb is still in bath this morning... found a small error that is part of the problem... the rear had a 122.5 jet... will replace with 127.5.
So we are going to get it re-assembled and pristine this morning and checked out.

As far as handling.. brakes have really improved since the old days and the tires are awesome.  I put on Pirelli Sport Demon tires.  The bike is not running right yet, so will withhold comment on torque and accelleration.  Handling is very similar to the my recollection of the R90S but the suspension is stiffer on the V.  I dialed down the rare shock to see the difference...
So hold on for report #2, later.

akvision.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

rhpaw

rhpaw

Low and behold if that didn't fix it... That misjetted rear carb caused it. And If i'm not totally mad at myself for doing it because I KNEW  when rebuilding the carabs that the jets had to be like "THIS" and "LIKE SO" and I had the diagram on the wall with 122 fr, 127.5 r.. and on and on.

Hell, if I would have checked this months ago I could have saved many recent teardowns.
no, scratch that. We still have the throttle shaft leakdespite the addition of more orings and washers... a shot of canned air to the shaft will raise RPM 4k over.
sync is still a bitch at hit and miss and our o-rings for the mix screws have been eaten by lots of adjusting.

but AKV did say that the bike felt WAY better now. I'll have to go spin it here in a moment to see if I agree.

42 degrees right now.. kinda chilly to ride.

akvision

Yeah, much better.  If the last time the performance was running and 60 % (i was afraid to do a pass it was so weak on the upper ranges) New clean clean, new JET of proper size and we havw almost perfect.  I is at 96%.  Just a small stutter at hard on throttle.  If wound with normal twist.  Not slow and not fast it climbs smoothly to 10K.  Maybe I need nichols on my flapper.

I am just going to ride it for the rest of my time here and see what happens.

1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Rick G

Nickels are used only on the early '82's, with the spring loaded flapper. later version has an adjustment on the vacuum pot mount (for the flapper)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

it's tough trying to help people diagnose and fix their Visions long distance over the internet....

but it's really hard when people do stupid stuff like mix up the jetting  >:(

almost kidding  :D glad you found the problem
;D

funkamongus

I'll tell you what,, sounds exactly like my problem,, glad you got her worked out!! PS,, mine will look exactly like that when Im done... (only straight black, no stripe on plastic accent piece, hopefully by end of summer) 
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

akvision

N.V. jets are so small and the notch is so big and when vison is burred by single malt...well 122.5 can look like 127.5.  I said, kid get the magnafying glass, he said, what magnafying glass..It was a bit mucked up and I had to take a second, third and fourth look.

Any way, now mostly alllllllmost perfect... will keep working at it... needs starter seal and starter clutch fix.. and other small stuff.

later, am heading back to Alaska on monday.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

akvision

Rick

Thanks for the nickel info. I will not chase that dead horse.

1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Night Vision

Quote from: akvision on May 01, 2009, 08:28:39 PM
N.V. jets are so small and the notch is so big and when vison is burred by single malt...well 122.5 can look like 127.5.  I said, kid get the magnafying glass, he said, what magnafying glass..It was a bit mucked up and I had to take a second, third and fourth look.

Any way, now mostly alllllllmost perfect... will keep working at it... needs starter seal and starter clutch fix.. and other small stuff.

later, am heading back to Alaska on monday.

hahaha, I resorted to the magnifying glass after the first time the wife had to read me the numbers... 

sounds like you're really close... now you can dial out the last of the lag with the pilot screws.... 1/8 or a 1/4 turn can make the difference
;D