Weber Carb Conversion Update

Started by Glyn Pickering, April 30, 2005, 04:01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn Pickering

Hi Everyone

I've been a bit slack on checking the site recently. Too much work  - to pay for Vision changes etc etc. Saw that a few people had asked final jetting changes on the carb etc.

I finally got it running really well on using 32mm main venturis
(bored out from 28mm items), using 135 main jets, 180 air jets and 50 idle jets. I spent alot of time and frustration getting to this point so if anyone out there wants a good starting point, believe me this is it. I'm using a pretty std IDF 40 Weber, as fitted as std to a 124 Fiat Spider I beleve. Mine came off an RX 7 rotary that some hoon ( read young car enthusiast with little money) had tried to fit with poor results.
The carb is far better suited to a Vision and as I've said before fits perfectly in the fairly tight space constraints.
Very few carbs will and I believe (but may be wrong), sidedrafts won't work well on this bike. The IDF is as close to the std carb as you could get, but with much better jetting / tuning choices.

Just bought a set of 4 pot calipers which I'm going to fit to the front end next. With my new progressive springs for the front end (yet to fit) the beast should handle and stop well soon.

Slightly off subject - I'm after a fuel tap seal kit for a litle Yam SRX 250. Anyone got a clue where I could get one?

All the best - and ride safe.

Glyn

Walt_M.

Thanks for the carb update, glad it's working out for you. The 32mm venturi sounds better than 28mm. Are you using the airbox with the flapper? How does it rev out? Are you using a fuel pump, just curious?
As for the SRX250, try the Sirius Consolidated website, they might have what you are looking for.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Glyn Pickering

Hi Walt

Ta for that info on the fuel seal.

I completely removed all the XZ airbox and gubbins. Just have a K&N type filter which serves both barrels and is bolted to the top of the carb. Yes I re mounted the Yam fuel pump onto a stainless bracket, on the right hand side onf the motor. I built in vacumn take off's into my manifolds so I can use the petrol tap / fuel pump just like on the std bike. The Weber inlet is alot higher than the Mikuni so defn needed the pump.  

It revs out real well. I've never had it flat out since scared of those expensive tickets. Our cops appear from nowhere over here.  I like to give it a bit of stick on the way back from work when the traffic has thiined a little but don't take it over 8K
usually. I thought I'd have more bedding in hastles but it seems pretty well happy with the jetting as is. I'm loathe to mess around with it now.  I know and have heard that the std carb can be made to work real well but after alot of trying on the Mikuni I just gave up.  The Mikuni well set up will prob be better than my conversion but for the sort of riding I do I'm satisfied with the performance. If some manifolds could be fabricated out of alloy by someone with the right tooling, the conversion would be a breeze.

Cheers

Glyn