News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

starter parts?

Started by uni_boy15, April 27, 2005, 08:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uni_boy15

Hey guys
    I'm having a bit of a problem with my starter....(who isn't)  Well someone said that i needed to put a spring seal in it? if so where do i get one? my starter was filled with oil when i took it off...i posted in the swap section but never got a reply thought this might get a little more attention. thanks for any help im really grateful you guys have kept me from parting the thing out so hopefully this is my last "how too" post and the next ones will be good news on the restoration project.

louis

ProfessorRex

The seal is:
20x35x6 (Chicago Rawhide # )  The # is the size get the one with the spring of course.  You can order these from any NAPA and probably other NAPA type stores.
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

uni_boy15

thanks alot rex I'll go get one on order tonight! :)

kwells

I am having starter issues as well...When starting it has stopped catching and from what I have read it seems as though it is the starter clutch.  I downloaded and printed the starter section on Lucky's site, but am I wrong to think that I simply need to tighten the screws if the starter is not flooded with oil and working?

Kevin
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

just so we're clear, the bolts that loosen & cause the noise (and eventually the clutch to slip) are located on the starter clutch, behind the flywheel, & not the starter itself.

At this point, if you clutch isn't catching at all, it's doubtful that replacing the bolts (you cannot just tighten them, they have to be longer & you have to peen them over) will fix it. it's likely that the clutch body itself has cracked...

Fortunatly for you, lots of bike are being parted lately, & it's a good bet you can find one here, on the swap shop for a good price.

either way, you need to pull the cover & flywheel off asap to find out. it's the only way to tell for shure.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

I have extra starter seals $5 ea. total shipped to you. ? jsmthefix@optonline.net
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

kwells

I pulled the cover off and found a very thin piece of metal that almost appears as though it is a shim located at the bottom.  I assume this is what you were referring to so that will need to be replaced.  Is there a 'kit' with all the necessary parts out there or does this mean I will need to scour the bolt racks for the correct size?  
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

If i can figure out how to export a pic that's in .pdf to .jpg i'd post a diagram of the clutch so you could point out what you found.

if you only pulled the engine case off & found the 'shim' then somethings broken & you need to pull the flywheel to get at the clutch..

there is a sheetmetal cover that fits over the clutch body & helps retain the pins, springs & rollers.  when the clutch bolts are loose this cover rubs & gets a lot of dammage.

--Lucky

uni_boy15

Does anyone remember the company they bought there seal from? Chicago rawhide just happened to discontinue that seal.  So now im pretty much out of luck unless i buy a new starter.
              Louis

YellowJacket!

Yeah,

I have the same problem.  But, I found out why my bike won't start in the process.  After dilligently following the guides in Haynes on how to check all the electronics, I ended up at the starter.  When I pulled off the rubber boot, the cable was corroded and broken...DUH!  Should have started there first.

The problem is twofold though.  First the bolt that the cable connects to is so corroded that the nuts are rustwelded to the bold and there is no coming off.  Its just a solid blob of rust.
Second, my starter is also full of oil, or should I say sludge.  Very nasty looking.

Should I follow the advice on xz550.com on how to rebuild it or should I try to buy a new one, or more appropriately, is a new one/aftermarket available?  I think I could clean it out but the bolt that the battery cable connects to is what worries me.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

Dave, post on the swap shop for one, someone will have one. new, or NOS will cost big bucks: $200+..stupid, i can get a starter for my van for $35...