News:

Main Menu

My Vision Story

Started by artbone, May 05, 2009, 06:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supervision

Driving home from the races, happy your still alive! I remember throwing into a left turn at Ontario, and having the thing side about a foot, saving it, but going going straight across the grass at about 70. That taught me that you may save it, but can't always go the direction you want to after saving it. 
" border="0

Rick G

I raced at Willow Springs , it out in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't much selection in places to eat , mostly we bar-b-qed on a Hibachi.
At one 12 hour race , it was getting towards dark  and some one had lit a Hibachi . One of the bikes came in for fuel  and the pit crew in there haste , tripped over the Hibachi  :o :o :o :o, causing the tripping individual to pull the trigger on the 5 gallon dump can , right on the Hibachi . Suddenly the pits appeared to be on fire. Riders started pulling in to see what was happening and we had to shoo them back on the track!  I was in Cycle News, wish I still had that copy.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 06, 2009, 01:50:34 PM
Quote from: Rick G on May 05, 2009, 11:35:07 PM
Yes , I believe your right , I don't remember his name tho.

trialattorney?

David

He's an Abrogado.
http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1250

Abrogado68

He also has wrecking yard connections to old Police Visions in Mexico.

;)
Coil

artbone

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on May 09, 2009, 06:48:36 AM
Quote from: YellowJacket! on May 06, 2009, 01:50:34 PM
Quote from: Rick G on May 05, 2009, 11:35:07 PM
Yes , I believe your right , I don't remember his name tho.

trialattorney?

David

He's an Abrogado.
http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=1250

Abrogado68

He also has wrecking yard connections to old Police Visions in Mexico.

;)
Coil

Police Visions?!?!?!
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rick G

Yep!! And Police in Argentina used CX500's!!!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

artbone

The restoration of my '83 nears completion. The checkoff list is getting shorter and she's starting to look like a motorcycle again. I can't wait to get on the mountain road over to Santa Rosa and have some fun. Stop in at the Casita de Sierra and drink some of their homemade mescal that they serve with orange slices instead of limes. 

Why did I let this wonderful machine sit for so long? Like most things, it had to do with sex. I became a widower and found a new girlfriend and she didn't want to ride some old POS Yamaha, so I went through 1200 Triumphs, and 1200 BMWs, a V Strom and who knows what else. Now that I'm in Mexico, I'm back to the basics. What do I like about a motorcycle?

Reliability, good handling, a high-revving engine, comfort - well, hell, I just described a Vision!

If I ever go 10 years without riding this motorcycle again (not likely given my age) I need to be horsewhipped. I can't wait to get back on the road with this bike. I'll keep you posted.

Art
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Glyn

Hey Coil, Just checked out Dees2.com site you keep advertising. How much are they paying you. Pretty crazy stuff on there. Of course then I got side lined onto a 911 conspiracy journey. It's a big leap of faith to think all of those 4/2   planes  and 2/3  buildings came down without help. I'd better stop.

funkamongus

I also saw that, and had considered it.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

artbone

Guess what I took a ride on today! I went over to a little mocy junkyard searching for the brake pads I need and praise be to Jesus (that's the owner's name, pronounced Haysus) after searching around for 15 minutes, he came out with the pads I needed. Cost 300 pesos (about $22) and I was glad to pay it to get to ride this beast I've been working on for two weeks.

As usual on first rides, there were a number of small issues but nothing I can't fix when I get all my goodies from Atlanta next week. I went against one of my own rules "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and installed the tapered roller bearings in the steering stem and I've got a problem with that. Don't know why I bothered, since the bearing I took out looked perfect. I think the bottom race didn't seat and I've got a lot of slop in the steering which shows up on the cobblestone streets around here. I'm going to loosen everything up tomorrow and retighten the stem, then the bottom triple clamp then the top and I think that will fix it.

But Man, what a sweet little bike. It's sort of like meeting an old girlfriend and taking her to bed for the first time in XX years. You just forget how good it is. Of course, with old girlfriends, in a few days, you remember why you're not still together and . . . well, no analogy is perfect.

So that was my day, filled with the events that alter and illuminate my life. I hope everyone that reads this had just as good a day.

Art
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

QBS

Fear not!  It was broken, you just didn't know it yet.