News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

i found unobtanium

Started by CasaJones, May 08, 2009, 07:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CasaJones

It turns out that the engine I bought is off an 83 and it came with the carbs and airbox for only $100. I know I got lucky and before you offer...NO, I'm keeping 'em ;)

Here's my question. What all do I have to change out to make it all fit on an 82?  I have read several posts that talk about different front cylinder exhaust pipes. You don't have to change the exhaust unless you put different jets in the carbs or both or...???

Answer real slow and use simple terms that even I can understand.  This is my first rebuild ever and I don't wanna screw it up.:)

Thanks for the help y'all

CJ
2- red 82 xz550s --- they're twins!

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who do not"  widely credited to Thomas Jefferson

Rick G

You can use the '82 exhaust pipes , you may have to rejet,tho The top rear engine mount will have to have some material cut away, to clear the rear carb. That's about it. Cross your fingers that the thing runs!~! ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

CasaJones

What size jets do I re-jet to and do I only need to do the front or both?   

"Those who beat their guns into plows will plow for those who do not"  widely credited to Thomas Jefferson

Rick G

Its not going to be very far off , Go with what's there and see how it runs.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

I think you'll either need to get the 83 fuel tank, or switch to an 82 fuel pump.
I think....
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

Rick G

h2olawyer

Glad you got the airbox.  The 82 airbox bottom doesn't clear the 83 carbs.  Great snag!  That's less than I paid for cruddy 83 carbs.  They look great on the outside!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Coil Coyle

Quote from: inanecathode on May 09, 2009, 12:54:03 AM
I think you'll either need to get the 83 fuel tank, or switch to an 82 fuel pump.
I think....
Cathode,

Plugging the return fuel line to the petcock is a workable solution. The 83's just bleed back part of the gas flow to the tank as vapor lock prevention.
None of the CROV Bakersfield V's ever vapor lock so it's not really necessary, they ride some pretty hot days in The Valley.

$0.02
;)
Coil

artbone

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on May 09, 2009, 06:44:28 AM
Quote from: inanecathode on May 09, 2009, 12:54:03 AM
I think....
Cathode,

Plugging the return fuel line to the petcock is a workable solution. The 83's just bleed back part of the gas flow to the tank as vapor lock prevention.
None of the CROV Bakersfield V's ever vapor lock so it's not really necessary, they ride some pretty hot days in The Valley.

$0.02
;)
Coil
How do they do that? My 83 has 2 fuel lines, 1 is the prime, the other is regular and reserve controlled by the vacuum switch. How does the gas get back to the tank?

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rick G

Either you missed a hose or it has a '82 tank and petcock and the return hose is corked. "83 petcocks  are larger and have 2 diaphragms.
Rick G

supervision

art, so the one is prime and the other two are for normal, and reserve.  Ok and that means the prime is off in normal opperation
" border="0

CasaJones

I have the unobtanium in the dip bucket now.  They were pretty gunked up.  One side went back in for another bath.  When I put it back together and on the bike I will most likely T back into the fuel line so it double filters a portion of it and helps prevent vapor lock. 

I did manage to break off the little plastic piece. :'(  I went to a hobby shop that has a lot of remote airplanes and got 2 pieces of 1/8 x 12" brass tubing.  They have plenty of it there.  (2 pieces come in the package)  I know I don't need that much.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: supervision on May 09, 2009, 10:32:09 AM
art, so the one is prime and the other two are for normal, and reserve.  Ok and that means the prime is off in normal opperation

No, the one fuel line does both prime and reserve.  Sounds like Art is missing the return line connection which is off to the side.

supervision

So Brian that means on normal, the bike runs on one line from the tank.
" border="0

QBS

Here's the '83 deal, as they left the factory.

The fuel petcock is vacuum operated.  There a small vacuum line that goes onto a small spigot that sticks out to the right of the petcock as you are facing the left side of the bike.

There are two large spigots that stick out to the left side of the petcock.  The lower spigot provides all sources (Prime, Reserve, and the default On function) of outbound fuel headed for the inbound side of the fuel pump.  Fuel outbound from fuel pump goes to the carbs via a "T".  Unused fuel then returns to the tank from the back carb via the large upper spigot on the petcock.  I think there is some sort of fuel pressure regulator function involved somewhere in the midst of all this but I've never had the need to find out.

FYI:  A failed '83 petcock can leak  fuel out of both the outbound and inbound spigots.  If your carbs have bad needle valves (and whose don't) you will end up with gas on the ground.  For best results don't depend on either the vacuum controlled fuel cut off or your needle valves.  Install inline fuel cut off valves on both the outbound and inbound fuel lies and use them whenever the bikes is to be parked for more that a few ours.  Ask me how I discovered all this.