Look at what I am going to see this week

Started by couchflyer, May 11, 2009, 09:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonm.

That is surely a clean '82. "82 came in red, silver and black.  I suspect it may need a stator. Many guys just give up when either the stator or carbs need work. As long as the mechanicals(con-rods, etc.) in the engine are good...it's a good bike.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

couchflyer

Updates today:
Stator has been replaced by previous owner.
Clean gas tank - look
starter has a lot of wear and not much grease.  It didn't leak but after I cleaned it out and added grease to the gears, I tried the starter.  It sounds like a bunch of rocks when I turn it over and it doesn't always turn the motor over.  So I'm going to pull the left engine cover to see if I have a clutch issue.  Also looks like I need a front caliper rebuild kit.  Is there such a kit? 

Here are some more photos.

Left side

Front

Gas tank

1982 Yamaha Vision ~ 1 Black & 1 Red
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
2008 Ducati 1098 ~ Track only
Sola Scriptura

Kid Jedi

don't do it, its a piece of crap... give it to me?  ;D
Loves to over think things.

akvision

the gas tank is new.
On the inside, most likely it looks like the outside.. just lift the seat and peek.  You will know.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

QBS

Don't assume that the starter was assembled properly before you got into it.  Possibly someone has been there before and didn't align the planetary gears just right.  They are VERY easy for the uninformed and hamfisted to put together with one or two teeth in the wrong place.  Visualy easy to mess up.  Properly assembed, they turn easily, smoothly and quitely.

Tiger

Quote from: couchflyer on May 17, 2009, 11:32:49 PM
Updates today:
...Also looks like I need a front caliper rebuild kit.  Is there such a kit? 

:) Yep, they are available from your local friendly Yamaha stealer dealer...Comes with two seals and a piston 8)...bend over, grab ankles and assume the position buddy :o ::) ;D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
PS That really is a great buy you have their... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

you should be able to get away with just new seals for the caliper... unless piston is pitted

$10 instead of $60
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Kid Jedi

where do you get seals alone? Yamaha does not sell seals w/o pistons and k&L does not support the bike.

h2olawyer

I may be wrong, but I think Old Bike Barn sells the seals.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Unless the seals are leaking, i'd just pop the pistons out and make sure they're not just loaded up with crap around the diameter.
Mine were *siezed* at h2o's place, and it turned out to be that it sat so long in one position the piston loaded up around the circumference with road grime and grease. After popping them out, scooping out the mung inside the caliper, and buffing the piston with 600g paper, it works fine :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kid Jedi

couchflyer

Well the starter is missing the locking pin that keeps the ring gear for the planetary gears in one place.
Sola Scriptura

Night Vision

Quote from: couchflyer on May 18, 2009, 11:14:48 PM
Well the starter is missing the locking pin that keeps the ring gear for the planetary gears in one place.

not a problem..... find a finishing nail about the same diameter, cut to length.... IIRC it needs to stick up slightly to engage into the nose.  it's been awhile since I rebuilt my starter and lost my pin.
;D

Night Vision

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 18, 2009, 09:14:22 PM
where do you get seals alone? Yamaha does not sell seals w/o pistons and k&L does not support the bike.

here: http://www.hvccycle.com/hvcpartscatalog_files/yamahabrakes.htm

RZ350 Front or Rear seal kit
$8.99ea (4XV-W0047-50-00)

enough seals for one front caliper or one rear

that's a Yamaha part number... dealers should be able to order it also.
;D

Kid Jedi

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

couchflyer

Night Vision, good idea I'll try the nail.
Sola Scriptura

couchflyer

The nail piece helped but I need a starter, it too worn.
Sola Scriptura

Cdnlouie

Since I have been doing some research on these brake caliper seals (now that I need some) I will add another Yamaha part number to the one NV gave us.

It seems the XJ550 lists the two seals separately as 4L0-W0047-01-00 and they seem to be the same piston assembly but can't confirm this info as I did not check it further than looking at the parts fiche online.  However, the hvcycle.com site does put the XJ550 in the list of the seals and piston assembly that should fit our Visions.  I ordered the ones they have available for the RD250/350LC.  $8.99 for a caliper set of seals and free shipping is a pretty good deal.

Good find NV!

Night Vision

here's another good tip...

soak yer calipers in one of those one gallon Gunk carb cleaner cans.... and those old seals swell right up and pop out themselves!!

course you'll end up painting the calipers... which was my plan to begin with before I stumbled upon the seal remover

anyone know where I can get that pale gold brembo paint color? I want to paint some dual brembos onto RedSkunk
;D