News:

Main Menu

repair meathod for intake boots

Started by arthurdent510, August 04, 2009, 02:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurdent510

Ok, just thought that I'd share my meathod since it's worked really well for me so far.

http://www.biosafe-inc.com/Automotive.htm

Automotive goop...  I've tried the bike tire thing, tried liquid electrical tape.... neither lasted very long.  It's been probably a month and a half of the bike baking in the Arizona summer heat and they still look great and no leaks!  One boot had a crack all the way through and the other wasn't far behind, and now you can't tell they were cracked at all - they both look great and don't leak anymore.  I'll try to take some pictures later and post them. 

Just hope this helps someone that's trying to repair them!

kwells

seems like it would melt off on a nice hot summer day whilst sitting in some traffic.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

QuoteWithstands heat up to 150°F / 66°C.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

arthurdent510

It hasn't melted off for me yet.  And it's been run in 115 degree weather.  /shrug

VFan

treedragon

I've always though the self vulcanizing rubber tape would be good for that job.

I haven't seen any for a while but I have used it for a number of things. It is very stretchy and pulls tight around anything wrapped in it then bonds to itself and becomes tough as old...... boots.

h2olawyer

I haven't seen  it for years, either.  Did a quick search & found this: http://www.atomictape.com/atomic_tape_fact_sheet.htm

Not cheap, but it has a high enough temp rating to be interesting.  Available in colors, too!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Kid Jedi

i have been using E6000 to good effect, available at tap plastics and goes on pretty nicely with a flux brush
Loves to over think things.

kwells

finally a way to color my carb boots turquoise.  I think that would go good with yamaha red.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

vadasz1

Tiger also sells something similar.  It's called WRAP 'N ROLL.  But I guess he will ring in on this to confirm the applicable uses.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

akvision

Been using the Goop stuff for years to seal leaks on boats.  Works good and penetrates.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

arthurdent510

I just used a latex glove to smooth it around and push it in the cracks with my finger.  Was more or less an easy job  :P