Main Menu

More insanity

Started by Kid Jedi, May 12, 2009, 11:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Jedi

So i wanted to practice blueprinting and porting an engine.. so where can i find a simple engine to practice on... In a few weeks i could have the A vary BAD ASS weedwacker. Also a friend is practicing air brushing and offered to put on freaking sweet skulls and flames. I will post a pick after i have her back together :D I thought it would be good for a quick laugh guys
Loves to over think things.

inanecathode

Do it to a horizontal shaft 5hp briggs. People do it all the time, and it'd be quite a feat to take a flathead engine and actually have it produce power. Everything on them is small enough to be easy to work with, yet not small enough to have sub-grade parts or parts so small you cant work with.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kid Jedi

I got a homelite 50cc beggin for it.. Or i could do my ditch witch, its a 8 hp pan head....

inanecathode

I dunno if i'd do a two stroke. Noone really tunes those anymore.

Kid Jedi

WHAAAAAT?!

A lot of performance  go-carts are 2 stroke. My shop Blueprints and ports ALOT of 2 strokes.

Night Vision

my Husky is a two stroke and I'll wager it'll smoke your homelite.... 'course a chainsaw should cut better than a weedwhacker
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 14, 2009, 01:39:30 PM
WHAAAAAT?!

A lot of performance  go-carts are 2 stroke. My shop Blueprints and ports ALOT of 2 strokes.

I'm saying noone does those anymore because the only people who do are racers, and the fundamentals of each are drastically different. (yes theres some old two stroke bikes around and probably 3 two stroke cars, but theres alot of visions around too in that case and who specializes in performance modifications for those :P)
It'd be kinda like learning how to make flat bottom race hulls. Yes, people do it, but how practical of a skill is that going to be? If you're going to dedicate your time and energy to a new skill, i'd start with something that'd have applications that are a bit more wide spread or maybe more wide spread in the future (electric motors, motor generators, etc)
Could you explain how you guys 'blueprint' engines at your shop? I've heard as many different explanations for what it is as people i've asked about it :)

Kid Jedi

How I had blue printing explained to me is that you go through the whole engine, measuring and replacing parts till every part matches, and removing any errors in production. ie every part is PERFECT. (matched pistons and rods...) the idea is to get the engine to, rather then within tolerances, to exact spec.

So in a 2 stoke single It would just be a exercise in measuring, and possibly replacing a piston. Since I have never taken apart a 2 stroke it would help to fill out my understanding of how crap works.

inanecathode

What exactly are you 'matching' or 'measuring' though, what specs are you improving on or trying to match?

Kid Jedi

Brian Moffet

I thought about blue-printing my Austin Healy Sprite engine, but I'm not sure I could deal with the 10 percent increase in power.  That would get it to about 55 HP
:o

Kid Jedi

ya blue printing dosent actually provided much of a boost for how much energy you are putting in. its more for meeting race requirements, such as your bike must be all stock parts.

inanecathode

So you dont actually know what you're trying to measure or improve on then?

Kid Jedi

every point in the engine where metal meets metal.

inanecathode

So if i took the cams out of the vision, measured them, then put them back in, i'd get another 15 horse power?

Kid Jedi

lol nope, if you took em out and measured the lobe height, and say the tolerance is .005 -.015 to be in the factory production spec,  and yours were .011 you would weld up your cams and regrind them to be the .015 to give you that extra .004 of lift. The advantage of doing this  is that you don't disqualify your vision from a competion where only bone stock visions can race because your bike is still with factory spec.

inanecathode

Oh ok, so you're actually trying to correct tolerances then, that's cool.
People just throw around the blueprint buzzword alot and it has alot of liberal definitions..

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Kid Jedi

Quote from: inanecathode on May 15, 2009, 11:12:26 PM
Oh ok, so you're actually trying to correct tolerances then, that's cool.
People just throw around the blueprint buzzword alot and it has alot of liberal definitions..

I try really hard not to be some hack with a wrench set, and really try to understand the theory and reason behind anything I do to a machine :)

Quote from: kwells on May 16, 2009, 01:20:19 AM
pffft....liberals

I hate Republicans. I hate Liberals. I hate the green party. I wish people would use intelligence and not party affiliations to make "informed" decisions. :(

Rick G

I hate both parties , I wish there were 5 or 6 or 7 parties , then they would have to come up with something useful , instead of just the same old tired party line.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike