recommendation for carb boot repair

Started by arthurdent510, May 16, 2009, 05:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurdent510

Ok, tried the liquid electrical tape, tried the bike tubes... between Arizona's sun and the heat from the motor, nothing's lasted very long.  Are there any other suggestions on what to try?  Was going to see if I could find some high temp silicon to see how well that would stand up, but I'm open to suggestions.  Just about ready to cough up the money to buy new ones, I can't seem to get them to not leak.  :-\

Rick G

I take it that you have sprayed them with carb spray or WD 40  to check that they are leaking?  I haven't heard of any one using silicon, but it might work. I suggest sanding them , then cleaning them with carb spray , before you attempt sealing them with silicon
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

arthurdent510

Yup, it usually works out that when I first coat them, let them dry, and spray them they're good.  About a week later I spray again and they're leaking.  The cracks have been starting to get worse too... I have a couple that are pretty big now :-p  Going to pull them off tonight I think and see what I can do....

rhpaw

The new ones are hard to get new and expensive (as you know) The front boot is completely NLA.

I bought two rears and modified one to take an additional port for the fuel pump... I stole the nipple off the old one, drilled and sealed a new hole and the momdified part works great.
Be sure to get the base gaskets as well.. When doing mine, one was mysteriously missing. RTV red sealant works well in those ares also.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

Rick G

Guzzi John , who pops in here every now and again, was looking for carb mounts , some years ago. He contacted The techincal department at Dennis Kirk. If you give them the dimenstions your looking for they will go through there extensive stock of mounts (many of which are for snowmobiles) and may come up with compatible one. 1 800-969-7601
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

arthurdent510

I ended up using goop and coating the boots last night, it's seemed to hold this morning and idle was steady.  Haven't tried a spray test since you're supposed to give it 24 hours to dry, but so far so good...

jasonm.

I think the old venture and Vmax carbs are same throat size. you would need to drill for any addition vacuum ports.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules