News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

YICS & flapper

Started by Kid Jedi, April 08, 2009, 10:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Harley's are designed for, and marketed to, believers of "the Lifestyle".  There is no logic in that place of emotion.  To expect it is an exercise in frustration.

Rick G

I'm no fan of Hardly Ableson, But they have two bikes (not counting Buell) that appeal to me, the XR1200 for obvious reasons and the Street Rod version of the Vrod. Its way too heavy and the wheelbase is ridiculous, but it has pretty good handling and great brakes. besides its a 4 valve double overhead cam.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Quote from: QBS on May 02, 2009, 11:51:41 PM
Harley's are designed for, and marketed to, believers of "the Lifestyle".  There is no logic in that place of emotion.  To expect it is an exercise in frustration.
I think I once heard that they profit more from their accessories than they do their bikes.
I ran into a guy I know the other day and he was wearing a HD belt buckle.  I asked him when he got a HD and he told me that he just has the buckle and stickers on his truck!!  He doesn't even own a bike!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

Henry Ford sold him model T's at just a little over cost ( around 350.00) The real money was made on the parts used to keep those 19 million cars running.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

Yellow J, you're right about HD profit centers'.  They sell the sizzle (the "Lifestyle") to make $.  Bikes are just a nessessary evil to keep that facade entact.

Kid Jedi

"thy kingdom come, Thy wheelie be done." comes to mind...
Loves to over think things.

Kid Jedi

Ok guys, you are right. :) Did more research and had my guru play devils advocate and I was able to convince both of us that a, the visions carbs are stupid, and b The flapper is not for emissions but to improve the velocity of the gasses passing the carb.

so the score is

Vision Forum: 15
Kid Jedi: 2 

Coil Coyle

Kid Jedi,

We'll, get back with you're guru and explain to him you are both wrong.  :P

The flapper is used to create a low pressure in the airbox, hence on the main jet at the venturi, until the air flow through the venturi can begin. As soon as there is lower pressure in the carb throat above the venturi the diaphragm actuator 82's and 83's open. As air mass flows under the flapper, the 82's open.

Either opening process occurs after there is air flow, hence low pressure, at the venturi.

KYLE just emailed regarding the coolant reservoir he sought in April. He says Cal Poly has been keeping him too busy to do Visioneering. Perhaps there will be another Vision in the Bay area for a late summer ride.

;)
Coil

Kid Jedi

I think we are saying the same thing in completely different terms ???

Rick G

That's exactly why the HD XR1200 has a flapper . Otherwise the 50 mm throttle body would overwhelm the engine at low rpm.
Rick G