Started by inanecathode, May 18, 2009, 09:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

In partial preparation for the AZ ride i did some things today:

-Changed the oil
-Changed the final drive oil
-Installed a volt meter
-Corrected the bike speedo

Engine oil change was ho hum. Pulled out about a quart and 2/3rds. I guess i was low  :D Noticed the hastily sealed left cover is leaking again on the bottom where it was last time. I think next time around i'll pull out the neutral/oil sensor whatever it is, teflon tape it, then thoroughly clean and reseal the left cover. its not leaking enough to be a problem, maybe two or three drips in 24 hours.

Final drive oil was easy peasy lemon squeazy. Old stuff out, magnet plug looked normal, new stuff went in.

Volt meter was a pain in the ass. I scoured the diagram for a not very important switched primary voltage source on the front end and decided with going with the running light circuit from the ignition. I was going to install one of those inline splicer deals, but couldnt find one, so i cut it and stripped both ends. Then after going through 5 female plugs i finally ganged the two into a pinchy plug, and the oil sensor into the other, and plugged em up. Seems to work fine, im just worried about it coming apart, but if it does its easy enough to fix, and its not the most crucial circuit ever so im fairly happy with it. Interesting to not how the R/R works though, fun to see it real time. Spikes just off idle, then settles out to 14.5 just like it should. Plan for the worst i guess, it's a nice indicator ahead of time if the stator decides to take a shit in the middle of the desert.

Bike speedo reset was easy. It's been reading about 4mph too high since i put it on there, and it should be accurate down to the 1/100th of a mph, so i gobbed a spot of grease on the tire, rolled it down the driveway, then measured between the spots. Then i plugged in the measurement (in centimeters) into the thingie and whatda ya know, it works great now. Reads slower than the onboard speedo, just like it should be.

I'm all packed up for the azride, and awaiting for thursday morning. Im so excited i can hardly contain myself  :o
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

How'd that "new" footpeg rubber work out?

Glad you're about ready for the ride - shiny side up!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Working out great :)
Moves my foot back to where it should be near the shifter.

One thing is making me a bit nervous, and thats the rear brake. It might need an adjustment, or it might need refreshing, but if i jam it down real hard it tends to stick a bit. That, and it squeaks. I think the jamming is because its so far out of adjustment the cam is going past its normal motion on the brake lever.

I'll worry about that later though, its not grinding yet, and i dont use the rear brake much. In fact, i dont use the brakes much at all, i just rpm match and let the engine (not the clutch disks) slow me down :D

Kid Jedi

engine braking gives me the willies...

if your drum is squeaky it could be glazed and should be roughed up with a piece of scotchbrite
Loves to over think things.

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 18, 2009, 10:18:26 PM
engine braking gives me the willies...

if your drum is squeaky it could be glazed and should be roughed up with a piece of scotchbrite

Meh, it's functional, the front squeaks too. Brakes are squeaky, i can deal with it as long as they're functional :)

Kid Jedi

my front does not squeak, are your silencer plates functioning properly? ???

inanecathode

I have an 83... one more rotor, and alot more holes.

Kid Jedi

odd. I have had a few dual disk bikes with slotted rotors and they never squeaked for me... 

inanecathode

Well, squeaking doesnt bother me. They're working, and i cant be bothered to take them off and squirt some rtv in behind the pads. Generally when i use them i use them hard enough so they dont squeak.

akvision

Inane,

You need to adjust the brake rod.  I assume you have some length to take up so that the cam does not go too far.  A bit of LPS or TriFlow helps with the linkage...

Regarding the VDO voltmeter that Rhpaw installed, he put in a relay that attaches the read to the power to enhance accuracy.
That or something like that is what he said.. anyway it is a nice accessory to have.

Enjoy your ride... next week I head for Bethel Alaska, then up to Iditarod country with a pal and my nephew for a week in FLAT, AK
a mining "ghost" town... Don't worry... my parents are buried there on Cotton Wood Hill.

When I come back , I get to rebuild a "V" carb just for fun.  It is my backup.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Coil Coyle

Ron_McCoy pointed out to me that the horn wire (the brown one)is the perfect connection for the positive on a voltmeter. It is switched and hot all the time. The horn switch connects to ground. Connect the other side of the meter to ground.

$0.02
;)
Coil

rhpaw

I used a Hella foglight relay for the VM install.
I took the hot end directly off the battery to the VM, switched thorugh the relay and then took the relay switch to fire from the taillight.

Clean 100% battery reading.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor