News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

#11 in the house...

Started by Tiger, May 24, 2009, 07:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Put a couple of gallons of fresh gas in her today...hooked her up to my Chev UpLander battery (the V's battery is kaput!!) and after a couple of false starts she roared into life 8) 8) 8)

She sounds sweet, no clanks, bangs, whines, etc, etc... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tiger

:) Started on some upgrades last night...

1 - Replaced the two brake bar fasteners 8)

2 - Installed new main positive/negative leads 8)

Today I'll pick up some engine oil/filter, blade type fuse holders (to replace the OEM fuse box), new spark plugs/wires/caps and do these tonight when I get home from work... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

musicweb

Wires and caps? Is that another upgrade that I should do?
I must have missed that one..... ;)

What is recommended?
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

h2olawyer

Wires & caps aren't an 'upgrade' so to speak.  They are just an inexpensive item to change so you are certain those aren't a problem.  You can get wire in bulk and the plug caps are readily available.  Two years ago, I got the wire & caps for under $20.

When I got the new caps two years ago, the shop's catalog had them numbered wrong.  They pulled them out of stock, I looked at the boxes and knew they were wrong (boxes way too small).  We looked at pictures in their catalog & easily came up with the correct ones.  I don't have the part number handy - maybe someone who purchased some recently does?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Quote from: musicweb on May 27, 2009, 05:04:28 PM
Wires and caps? Is that another upgrade that I should do? What is recommended?

:) On ALL my rebuilds, I install new spark plug wire's & plug cap's to replace the 26/27 year old ones!!! When doing the replacement, I can then remove the left side coil to clean the ground wire that attaches to the frame at this point... ??? :P... ;)

I would, obviously, recommend this process to all "new to their Vision" owner's... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

QBS

Why new wires?  Why not trim .25 to.50 of an inch off the ends of each wire and reinstall with new caps?  Factory wires are prebent to the correct lengths and angles and copper doesn't wear out.  OEM wires are also heavily reinforced at critical rub points.

h2olawyer

Mostly true, QBS - however, trimming the ends off the wires works once or twice, but eventually, the wires get too short.  Also, the 'reinforcement' is actually a removable sleeve.  When I replaced my wires, the original sleeves slid off the original wires and slid on the replacements.  No problem.  The wires are not so much 'prebent' as they have developed memory over time.  My replacements look exactly like the stock OEM setup.  (except they are shinier  8) )

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

don_vanecek

Ah remember h2o when you and I did that in the garage at the 25th anniversery ride, again thanks for getting that stuff for me and thanks QBS for your pointers in changing them.

musicweb

New caps are at both ends?
How do you know what to get?
I would guess the wire is 8mm.
Bring them to the parts store?
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

h2olawyer

Wire is 7mm - solid copper core.  The plug caps are motorcycle specific - go to a mototcycle shop or check Dennis Kirk.  If you shop on Dennis Kirk, you can get the correct part number.  You only need the caps @ the plug end & those have a built in resistor.

H2O

louthepou

Tiger, you've been out of control for a long time. (I like it!) :D
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Tiger

Quote from: louthepou on May 28, 2009, 07:14:00 PM
Tiger, you've been out of control for a long time. (I like it!) :D

;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D I'm just nuckin' futs 'Pou :o :D :D :D :D :D :D

Q, copper may not wear out but the 27 year old wire insulation sure does/as do the caps...and...for approx' $20.00 they are good for another twentyodd years...if you wish :o ;D ;D ;D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Night Vision

Quote from: musicweb on May 28, 2009, 04:21:37 PM
New caps are at both ends?
How do you know what to get?
I would guess the wire is 8mm.
Bring them to the parts store?

you only need two caps NGK VDO5F
these are resistor caps... do not combine with resistor plugs!

the caps "screw" onto the wires and the wires "screw" onto the coils

the sheathing on the OEM wires is reusable
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Don V, we all had a great time.  You're very welcome.  Wasn't the lighting in that parking garage the pits?

Tiger, please clarify.  You are paying $20.00 for V specific Yamaha OEM wire sets?

Rick G

As in all electrical wire, the current travels on the surface of the copper wire ( that's why , the higher the current the  more strands  the wire will have. The surface of the wire , even inside the insulation , can develop oxidation and cause an unwanted resistance. After 27 years they deserve new wire. Just don't get that carbon core stuff they use on cars , its not suitable for bikes, at least old ones.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on May 29, 2009, 12:18:56 AM
Tiger, please clarify.  You are paying $20.00 for V specific Yamaha OEM wire sets?

The wire I buy is NOT yamaha stamped wire...I buy from my local ('ish) dealer, 1 x yard of premium quality, motorcycle specific, plug wire. The guy that I deal with, apart from working at this shop part time, had been rebuilding motorcycles from his home garage, in Erin where I live, for years and recommended this wire. I also use NGK plug caps...which I have used for many years here in Canada (and England before I moved here)...that is what I pay $20.00 for and well worth it, in my view 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) A wee bit more done... ;) After a deeper inspection I found the rear tire to have weather cracking, sooooo...

* New rear tire purchased & fitted 8)
* Engine oil/filter drained/changed & refilled with Castrol 10w40 8)
* Rear drive oil drained and refilled 8)
* New spark plugs/wires/caps installed 8)
* Removed OEM fuse box and installed "blade type" fuse holders/fuses, including the one in the headlight... 8)
* New battery installed & a pigtail for a float charger 8)

When this one eventually leaves with a new owner, she will have a new full cover and a float charger included... 8) (I've done this with the last two or three)... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

vadasz1

All hail St. Tiger of the Visionaries..........

HipHip.....HooRay.....HipHip.....Hooray   8)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

funkamongus

hip hip hooray!! Go tiger!! Go tiger, its your birthday...
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Tiger

Quote from: funkamongus on June 02, 2009, 10:18:41 PM
its your birthday...

:) Err, not until the 21st June... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)