News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

rider course or spend the money elsewhere?

Started by don_vanecek, May 27, 2009, 02:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don_vanecek

So, it is time to decide if I'm going to spend $109.00 for the NE Safety Councils advanced rider course-this only lasts one day from 1-8 PM, and as an advanced course you use your bike (which would be the Vision of course).

Or if I should spend the money on other items, may need a new tires by fall, could use better boots, go on a trip. It does take me 30-45 days to accumulate this kind of loose money so to say-tips don't seem to be as good as in the past!

So what do I get for 7 hours on one day?

What should I do?

sunburnedaz

1982 Yamaha XZ550 - Almost bone stock
2005 Honda F4i - Nothing stock
98 ZX-6R Track Bike
1998 Chevy truck - AKA recovery truck

Brian Moffet

Ask your insurance company if they give discounts for the training.  You may be able to make it up (or at least some of it) right there.

I'd go for the training.

h2olawyer

I agree - training is very important, but if your tires are wearing out, those are a 'mission critical' item.  The instructors at the riding course will perform a safety inspection before letting you participate.  If your tires are worn out, you can't ride.  Furthermore, if your tires are shot, you won't be able to take any trips.  However, if there are some good miles left in the tires, I'd go for the course now, save for tires next, (and maybe take a shorter trip or two), then get your boots over the winter.  That way, you can take a couple long, worry-free trips next summer!   8)

Budgetary constraints are a b!+@# for everyone but the government.   ::)

I'm planning to take the experienced riding course sometime this summer, too.  (Cost here is $100)  I really enjoyed the basic course I took a few years ago.  Very informative & beneficial - even though I'd been street riding for 20 years before I took it.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

don_vanecek

My tires will be fine for most of this summer anyway, I'd guess about half way though their short life. MC tires sure are a bummer considering how much they cost, how long they last-but that's life I guess, I can buy two sets of tires for the money you poor guys north of the border have to pay just for ayears insurance! 

Kevin

You will be on your motorcycle among other riders having fun and you will be a better rider at the end of the course.

h2olawyer

Since tires aren't an immediate concern, I agree - take the course.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) Ah Don, screw the course, bugger the tire's, sod the boot's.......go find a dirty woman for the night :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... ;) Suppose you really should do the course, eh 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

rhpaw

If you play your cards right, the right dirty women are free...

I vote for training.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

Tiger

Quote from: rhpaw on May 28, 2009, 01:37:01 AM
If you play your cards right, the right dirty women are free...

:o Uh!! I better learn to play cards then... ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

don_vanecek

OK, I'll do it, assuming the class doesn't fill up before I get down there tommorrow. As this is being financed by, uh, excess t--s, I will need to need to take a practice ride down to Omaha and back tomorrow to hand over the cash they want-umm, the weather looks great, about a nice 50 mile ride, what a nice idea! This class will be on father's day weekend, class is Sat. with rain date Sunday.     

rhpaw

I have not done it with the bike, but I have taken a few advanced driving courses for auto-x (cars)
No matter what the price, it was always worth it.

Probably next year I'll sign up for something along the lines of "advanced bike control" but for the moment I'm kinda sick of dropping the XB in parkinglots.
(XB's are not known for their low speed maneuverability.)
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

artbone

I'd say go for the training. I've taken the MSF course several times as well as racing schools from Keith Code and others and they have all been money well spent.

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

don_vanecek

Ah, nice ride to Omaha and back to sign up for this course today. I will do a report on the course after I take it. Also by then I will have a good idea how the V is doing as I "took off my restrictive plates" and frankly the bike seems to basically run the same!!!  I did pull the manometer out when I took em off and made just a wee adjustment. Geez, and after all the times I claimed this was such a good idea-throw that out!!! I'm hoping to see my MPG go up.

Kevin