News:

Main Menu

New Vision Owner

Started by Jimustanguitar, May 31, 2009, 01:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

Hello all,

I just purchased an '82 vision that I saw for sale about two miles down the road. This is my second bike, I already own and restored an '82 Seca 400 a few years back. I was looking for something with a little more get up and go, and except for the "Vision Stumble", I got what I was looking for. I'm also pretty excited that many of the parts that I bought or restored for the Seca will interchange.

I plan on swapping everything that I can (that is nicer, that is) and then selling the Seca to some other young kid who needs a first bike that is not afraid of a little project.

I'm 24 years old, am an AV tech (Crestron programmer) in the South Bend IN area, married, house, two dogs, no kids. I love riding, and am very excited to have my 'new' Vision.

I'm curious since I'm new to this bike, what is the deal with the carbs and airbox? I know there is a ton of info out there (sorry I haven't read any posts yet, I'm bringing up a dead issue, right?), but I haven't really understood the scoop yet about which year has the issue and if the stumble is related to the carbs or airbox or both, etc...

I just rebuilt my carbs (haven't put them back in and tested how it runs yet), they had rust in the bowls that looked like coffee grounds soaking in blood, and I blew a lot of gunk out of the passages and ports. I would assume that the previous owner solved the stumble issue because obviously being the first owner of a new bike, you would be concerned about things like that. I'm hoping that the issue is just related to the fact that the bike was stored for 8 years, and was lucky to start when I bought it.

Also two more questions, is there only an emulsion tube in one of the carbs or am I missing a piece? Is the white plastic dashpot looking thing mounteds beneath the fuel pump supposed to be a check valve (i could blow air through it both directions)?

Anyway, I'm gonna go back out to install the carbs and test her out, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks!

akvision

my son,

all of your questions will be answered..... just read on.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Jimustanguitar

Just got back from my little late night road trip.

No luck fixing the stumble. I have good reason to believe that the previous owner tried to adjust it out because screws were turned and jets are terribly screwdrivered.

What is a good plan of attack from here? I don't want to go trying all sorts of things without knowing what has been changed, I have every reason to believe that with factory settings this bike would run just fine, and somebody tried to mess with perfection to achieve 'perfect plus one' and it backfired on them, you know?

Where can I find the factory mixture needle settings and other adjustments that I should set everything to so that I have a starting point?

Thanks!

Jimustanguitar

I started a thread on the tech page about the factory carb settings, so feel free to reply there. Sorry for the duplicate question...

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to your new and extended family 8) The ROV is the best place a Vision can bring its new owner  :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

The Vision (xz550 in the rest of the world!!) was only in North America for two years, '82/'83...The early '82 had a "standard" airbox, which was soon upgraded to a vacuum assisted airbox to help alleviate the Vision stumble...more was done in '83 to get rid of "it"...upgraded carbs, petcock, etc, etc... :-\

In most cases, the stumble can be "fixed" in the early period of ownership by squeaky clean (striped & dipped) and synced carbs...with the correct jet's installed 8)

Three things that will help you with your Vision, now & in the future...

1 - Joining the ROV and searching/reading the substantial achieves that we have available here. Posting your questions without ANY fear of ridicule...we are ALL here to help each other get the very best out of our respective rides...the Yamaha Vision 8)

2 - Get in touch with "Lucky" here on the ROV and purchase one of his superb CD/DVDs that has workshop/parts manuals, helpfull hints, OEM advertising, etc, etc, included on it...it is an invaluable resource for very little money 8)

3 - Be patient, with a wee bit of time all your questions will be answered... :o ;D ;D ;D ;D... ;)

Find out if you have a member near to your location, it does help in the early days ;)...ENJOY 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

Just because you have "cleaned" the carbs, doesn't mean their clean enough. The need to be dipped  and carefully reassembled. Both carbs have an emulsion tube.

Initial sales of the Vision were slow and many sat in the whare house for years ,causing the gas to deterorate to gum and powder, fouling the carbs. It happens anytime thy sit for a while, so put a couple of oz of Sea Foam or similar product in every third tank full , to prevent.

If you need the service , I dip and rebuild carbs.

Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Jimustanguitar

Who the heck would have removed one of the emulsion tubes?! I'll have to order one of those unless somebody has an extra sitting around... I'll start a wanted post just in case.

Thanks!

musicweb

QuoteWho the heck would have removed one of the emulsion tubes?! I'll have to order one of those unless somebody has an extra sitting around... I'll start a wanted post just in case.

I have some extra parts from my old set of '82 carbs if you need a tube.

1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!