Couple of POR 15 Process ??'s

Started by tizod, May 11, 2004, 07:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tizod

I have just completed step 2 in the three step process and right now I am in the process of burning out the motor on my girlfriend' hairdryer.

My question or concern is about step 2 where you use the metal ready.  I was expecting to see all the rust inside my tank gone after that step but was a bit surprised to see that there was a fair amount left.

Should this be of a concern?

Second part- I recently sanded all the paint off the tank so my tank is down to the bare metal.  It looked nice until after step 2.  Now it appears as though I am getting rust on the outside.

I was planning on painting it with a Rustoleum primer then a can of Flat Black Rustoleum High-Heat.

Can I go ahead as planned or should I try and remove this outside rust with something??

Thanks
Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

wolfman

Surface rust on the inside of the tank (provided it is NOT big loose flakey type stuff...key word being loose) will not affect the POR 15 process. (It WILL stick to it just fine....at least it did on mine...been two years now with no leaks)  Keep in mind as you dry that BONE DRY means just that.  I'd wait to paint the outside after the POR15 process is totally complete.

ironcat

I just got my kit last night, one thing confuses me.

In the directrions it says to put the por-15 in the tank ... then once coated pour the extra out. Then let it dry for 5 days and while it's drying you can do the bigger patchwork on the outside. Well if this stuff hardens in the can over night then I would have to do the patch work right away otherwise I would have very hard por-15 to patch with (not gonna work). It is ok to patch right after sealing or do I need to get another can of por so the tank seal can harden a bit before I patch?
If you don't have a choice at least have the balls!

Walt_M.

I have not done this yet either but I would recommend patching any larger holes first. First choice would be to have it welded or brazed, second would be JB Weld or Bondo. Then do the POR 15 treatment. My 2 cents.
Whale oil beef hooked!

tizod

Ironcat...

I had the same confusion.

Trust from my bad experience...fix your holes first!!  Either weld them, bond them or use bubble gum...just use something.

The tank sealer is a lot thinner then I expected and much of it came right out of the holes I had failed to seal.

Now I have to hunt down a new can of tank sealer to finish the job. off.
Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

h2olawyer

I concur - fix the holes first.  Mine had one hole (among many smaller ones) ::) that was about dime sized.  I used JB Weld and gradually layered it on until the holes were filled.  That was over 5 years ago. My tank is still looking great and I have absolutely no rust color in the gas.  8) I can't remember the brand of sealer I used - not POR or Kreem.  It did seal very well, puts up with fuel additives and only took 36 hours before I could put fuel in.  The final interior liner color is metallic silver.  I accidentially got two tiny drops on the exterior of the tank and it will not come off.  That was even on top of well waxed paint.

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.