Started by Bruce, May 09, 2004, 08:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Before

After

Now if I can get it running again..

Bruce.

ofstone

Looks like a good paintjob! and a well spent wintertime.
I hope you succeed quickly in getting it back riding.

MotorPlow

Okay, I need to ask.  I mean, I REALLY need to ask...

What did you use on the engine to pretty it up like that.  I've tried a few things on mine and can't get that "been in storage" look to get gone.

~Chris

Bruce

I started with either a wire wheel or 220 grit sandpaper...

I found that 320 grit wet sanding then 600 then 800 wet sand followed by polishing worked best though.. If you can get it on there some good paint stripper to remove the old varnish off the aluminum helps too..

Since I am stuck taking the side covers off, I will hit them with my bench polisher as well, which has been the best way..

A dremel tool with polishing heads works well, but is quite slow. You can tell I had the bike parked near a TV over the winter, lots of hours of polishing.

Bruce.

Dave T.

Why did you paint over that sweet red and white paint scheme???  ???

Come to think of it, we should start a "before and after" picture thread. When I get home later, I will do my V.  ;D
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

joevacc

-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Rick G

Repolishing the cases is simple, use a good paint stripper and a nylon kitchen scrubber. Apply the stripper to the whole case , with a disposable paint brush . (it helps if you have  a couple of cold ones handy and a game on the portable tv)
As the coating loosens up scrub it off with the scrubber and recoat until all the coating is gone.
Then , use some Simi chrome or Mothers on a synthetic sheeps wool buffing pad  on you drill motor buff away , wear old clothes , it can be messy! I can't understand why you would want to use a  a wire wheel or sand paper?
I repolish mine every spring and I DIDNT apply a new clear coat.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Humber

nie ma podpis?w

Bruce

I tried just paint stripper and polish, but the bike had spent a number of years stored outdoors and the case was fairly pitted and corroded.. Now that I have done it once, I should never have to work that hard again..

Thanks for postive comments everyone..

Bruce.

Dave T.

Before. Looks OK, but it was actually a piece of junk! Nothing worked internally. Barely ran, could ride about 10 miles without worrying if I could make it home.

$1500 and 3 years later, sorry it took so long. All internal and external repairs done! EXTREMELY RELIABLE.  :P

Everyone show yours! ?8)
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

MotorPlow

Nothing done to it cosmetically yet.  Just got it running and now it runs well....

~Chris
Callaway, VA

Humber

Dave, Could u send me full sized pics of your bike???

xz5500@o2.pl

thanks
nie ma podpis?w

h2olawyer

Nice to see all the Visions - and they all look great. ?Fantastic work to all!

Here's mine as it looked last fall - with the Quicksilver I sold to Kiawrench.

And as it looks today - well, today the left cover is off, awaiting stator & starter clutch fixes - so as it looked when I photographed it last month after taking it out of winter storage.

Like I've posted before, this is very close to how it looked when I bought it new in 1984, and the only things that are changed in appearance are the seat cover, tires and fork brace. ?I bought the 'shark' fairing and engine guard when I bought the bike, along with a Vision belt buckle. ?It has lived a fairly pampered life - 7,000 miles and always stored indoors. ?Last summer, I finally replaced my aging & hot Bell Tourstar II with a HJC CL-14 in almost exact matching silver.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

gbranche

My "before" pictures are here:

http://homepage.mac.com/gbranche/Vision/index.html

The detail pictures are fairly large, so consider yourself warned (especially if you're on a dial-up connection).

I don't yet have any "after" pictures. I've been too busy enjoying the ride to pay too much attention to the cosmetics. ;D

Greg

Humber

I love every 83 picture... they are like living fossils;)))
nie ma podpis?w

Dave T.

I still think Yamaha needs to make 2 new models, a high performance 600 V-twin and a 1000cc V-twin to compete with Suzuki's SV models. I fer one would plop down the cash.

Honda's RC51 would be my bike if I had the cash (and the balls) ?;D Aprillia's RSV Mille bikes are works of art. Ducati's look funny this year...

I like this post better... ;D

Before

After
:o ;D