News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

What are everyone's hobbies?

Started by Jimustanguitar, June 09, 2009, 05:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

I'm into music (strange that I pursue the two wheeled hobby of silence in a helmet). I build and play guitars, not professionally, but as a time waster. I like to go shooting at the range on the weekends (pistols). I like restoring cars as well ('67 Mustang in progress). A close friend of mine races a pro-stock car at the local tracks, so I end up helping him a couple nights a week.

What is everybody else into?

don_vanecek

Now really, I basically enjoy this, but at this time of year it's garden and lawn as often as possible. But when I get a chance, I'm slowing building an HO train table. Hey Kenny, the sugar snaps should be ready in about two weeks!

Jimustanguitar

That's ironic... My neighbors just had the "we like you but clean up your d@#n yard" talk. I did, but they have no idea the month I had... Was out of town on business for a week, went to Hawaii the next week, my Grandmother passed the next week, my younger brother got married the following week (and I bought my Vision), and now I'm out of town again this week. Whew...

Hotel 6 leaves the light on for me more than my wife does. Oh well, it's temporary. I can't imagine having that busy of a month again any time soon.

h2olawyer

I recently began the steep learning curve of astrophotography.  I also help a good friend with his Formula Mazda at SCCA races.  Alpine skiing, whitewater rafting and fly fishing take up the rest of my leisure time.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Jimustanguitar

All the guys I know who do astrophotography are stereophiles... You too?

I worked at a shop that sold B&W speakers and McIntosh amps all day long... Pretty amazing stuff to have been around so often. I can't listen to normal speakers anymore without hearing all the lost details. Kind of sucks, it is an expensive awareness, you can't go back. (or maybe, once you go Mc you can't go back?) I'll stop before I get really corny.

Brian Moffet

One of my hobbies (I'm the guy on the left, my airplane partner is on the right.)

I also do photography, slowly rebuild cars (well, one car, a 1966 Sprite Mk III).  Play clarinet, learning guitar.  I used to work a lot on the computer programming, but having done that professionally for 25 years (and still doing it) I stopped doing it as a hobby.

h2olawyer

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on June 09, 2009, 06:39:58 PM
All the guys I know who do astrophotography are stereophiles... You too?

I used to be an audiophile  - back in the early 80s.  Never had the $$ to get into it as much as I wanted.  Now, my other interests keep the audio toys as a 'wish I could'.  I still really prefer the warm sounds of vinyl over digital, but CDs are just so darn convenient.  My collection of over 1000 vinyl albums does get a fair amount of listening time.   8)

McIntosh was one of the greats.  Also dreamed of owning Magnaplanar speakers (still do).

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kev10104

I like sports but really only play softball.I joined the gym in October because the weights in the house were not getting used.Spending time with my 3 girls.2Daughters and a wife.Since meeting Tiger I would love to get into fixing these bikes and have thought about playing guitar.

Kid Jedi

My hobbie? Learning. I love to R&D stuff, hence my love of this quirky bike. its a challenge to get her perfect.
Loves to over think things.

YellowJacket!

I'm a closet computer geek...

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

I am a former model railroader/ Railfan, pretty much inactive now , as there are very few in this town , besides it got terribly expensive. I enjoy photography , moon gazing, ( my telescope is not in the same caliber as H2's, so I study the moon, besides its easier to find)  I occasionally dabble in building simple electronics projects, but mostly I ride my bikes . The Vision on the street and the XL350 in town and on dirt roads in the desert.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

funkamongus

I am/was a professional musician,, I still love it,, I just dont have anywhere to play anymore,, Ive jumped out of perfectly good planes,, Im a rescue level scuba diver, I was going to go to school for instructor before my world financially collapsed in 01. I got by for years and finally took a real job 2 years ago,, heavy equipment operator.. then the whole world died financially...Im unemployed now. Im glad to have unemployment but hate it and would rather work for a living..(anyone have a job?) I also like anything outside, especially riding my 82 maico 250..Love my bikes,, Love tweaking on my bikes..
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

akvision

Funk, come build the pipeline. It is going to happen... we have more gas in Alaska than we ever had in oil.  Natural Gas will be coming your way soon.

My main hobby is keeping my sweety happy, she keeps me going, shares my passions and takes really good care of me.

Me, I am a sailor guy.  I have more boats than cycles (two"V"s and a R50) and 4 special purpose boats.  Cruising sail, racing sail, fishing skiff, cruising tender.  I spend at least 2 months a year on the water.    In the winter I ski, snow machinge and tend a mountain cabin.

Am semi-retired and work as a financial planner, am web connected most of the time.    I love to read the "Economist", "Popular Science", "Popular Mechanics" and "Sailing".   

I like to read maintenance shop manuals.   I like to know how things work.   I like to fix things.  I love solutions and problem solving.

I am a member and volunteer of Rotary International  and the local Yacht Club.  (Our clubs are small town and not stuffy.)
I also belong to VFW and American Legion.  I am drafted Vietnam Veteran with proud service in the Artilliary.  1968-1970

I have been recently more interested in motorcycles and repair/restoration.   I just completed a cosmetic restoration of a low miles BMW R50.  It has been a very satisfying project.  It is running 98% and I am micro-tweeking the last 2%.   Carbs of course.  I am over fueling.. so I suspect that the jets need to be replaces with  a smaller size.

I am thinking about focusing more on this interest in the next year.

I have lived in Alaska for most of my life, otherwise the Pacific Northwest.
AkVison.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

rhpaw

I tend to fix things.. when I'm not reading on internet or being a father for two Goofball McDahls.

When I'm actually DOING something, it's either camping in the 84 Westy, SCCA autocross or playing electronic music.

oh yeah, and I try to pick up dirty girls on a buell.

03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

kev10104

rhpaw

Thanks, it's a pretty neat machine. Very misunderstood, much like the Vision.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

arthurdent510

Yea, more people who autocross!  I run in the Phoenix events mostly, but occasionally get down to Tucson....  I have a c-stock '04 miata  http://azsolo.zenfolio.com/p391287443/e17444799  is about the best picture I can find...  and when it's cool enough outside, I try to not crash r/c planes, play a bit of clarinet, and play far too many computer games...  other then that, not too much....

Brian Moffet

From what I remember of autocross, that cone shouldn't be on the ground like that :-)

(for those who wonder, my father was an avid auto-crosser in the late 60s and early 70s.  He raced a Sunbeam Alpine.)

funkamongus

I tell you what, AK..  I would go up there to Alaska in a heartbeat for a job. Especially for something as important as that. I hope we get that natural gas going, and not forget that the saudis do NOT have our best intentions in mind. Would you do an old boy a favor and let me know if/when they star the hiring? and what company gets the job? Could be a REALLY good job that lasts a while..
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

joevacc

That is funny! I play clarinet also - who would have thought!  Great minds play with the same toys!!  I play guitar and I have a violin but I don't play that in front of actual people!  (You can thank me now for people everywhere!)  ;~)
I also am a die hard motor head with a '70 Triumph GT6+ and a 61 Studebaker Lark at the moment.
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller