Main Menu

Speedo face rapair

Started by Jimustanguitar, June 09, 2009, 06:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

The paper? face of my speedo has a crack in it that is curling up. It almost looks like the needle is going to snag it and get pulled beneath the face.

If I disassemble the cluster, will I be able to glue or tape it back down, or is it new speedo module time?

Has this happened to anybody else?

h2olawyer

Sounds like you have someone's 'custom' gauge face.  The OEM faces are painted / silkscreened to the plastic.  At least the four gauge sets I've had were all like that.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Jimustanguitar

I could see it being a sheet of plastic... It is not like a paint layer coming up, it is the face. I can see light through it from behind, not another gauge face.

I'll take it apart when I get home and find out for sure.

QBS

For while, there was a lot of activity here regarding custom speedo faces.  A Form Search should real more.

Rick G

I have copies of Humber's custom faces, with my own improvements. His were on a single sided sticky back plastic coated paper , that you applies to a clear,  thin plastic that you had to cut out to match the old face.
Mine use double sided plastic with no sticky. I cut them to fit and installed them in no time . you can remove the speedo needle if your careful, but leave the tach needle alone. You will either destroy the needle or pull the shaft out . In either case you will need a new tach. I cut a slot in the face and slid it over the shaft , its hardly visible.
The face's I have are "flaming stator" I also have a black on white and  mountains.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Jimustanguitar on June 09, 2009, 06:35:09 PM
I could see it being a sheet of plastic... It is not like a paint layer coming up, it is the face. I can see light through it from behind, not another gauge face.

I'll take it apart when I get home and find out for sure.

It may be possible, but not likely that you got one of the two that I made based on the discussion here on the boards several years ago.  I sanded off the original face down to the plastic and glued on new gauge faceplated that were printed on high quality photo paper.  If there is a small cut going straight down from the needle to the bottom of the gauge, then it is similar to one of the ones I made.  AFIK, the ones I made are still being used by the guys that I sent them to.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)