News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Reapiring Plastics

Started by Kiwi, April 10, 2011, 09:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

SO, i'm finally at the point where i can start worrying how my bike looks.

My main concern is the the left side "diamond" has a corner broken off.  It's missing the a piece about the size of a quarter ( 20cent piece for the few kiwis on here ).
Any suggestions on how to repair it before i paint it?

I previously fixed it using a metal drywall patch ( metal with adhesive on one side ) and bondo.  But it never quite looked right.

Thanks !
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Re-Vision

Get one that doesn't need repair. Think you will come out ahead that way.    BDC

Raj1988

what color? i prob have one thats not broken
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Kiwi

Color is not a problem, i'm repainting it anyway. 
Let me know what you have, this sounds like a much easier plan :)
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Raj1988

You guys have a 20cent piece??

I've got a set of black side covers with 'Vision' stuck on em in great shape,

a set of black in OK shape. PM me an email ID if you want pics
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

JohnAMcG

Harbor freight sells a decent plastic welder, but make sure you get the one with a rheostat on it, otherwise they run too hot to be usable.  We had to pt one on to make it work right, but the newer ones have it built in.
-JM

Hartless

Quote from: JohnAMcG on April 12, 2011, 11:02:10 AM
Harbor freight sells a decent plastic welder, but make sure you get the one with a rheostat on it, otherwise they run too hot to be usable.  We had to pt one on to make it work right, but the newer ones have it built in.

now are plastic welders basically like a heat gun, just melting the crack ot break together? i suppose i could just look it up......:)
Ride Hartless or stay home

"strive for perfection , settle for excellence"

JohnAMcG

Yeah, pretty much.  Is almost like a hot glue gun, it comes with plastic rods and such.  I haven't used it personally, but know some who have with mixed results. 
-JM

Hartless

Quote from: JohnAMcG on April 12, 2011, 08:26:02 PM
Yeah, pretty much.  Is almost like a hot glue gun, it comes with plastic rods and such.  I haven't used it personally, but know some who have with mixed results. 
ok i see .think ill just do like kitty!

Lucky

?? what have me fix it? :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Hartless

haha yea. if you want to drive to Oregon!

Lucky

i'd never drive to Oregon!  Ride, sure, but drive? no way, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Cdnlouie

I use sheet metal fabricated to fit (or line) the area and then coat the metal, as well as embed it well into the solid plastic area with JB weld (the quick version).  The epoxy is sandable and has sufficient flex to work very well.  The sheet metal you can drill out for anchorage in the plastic as well as sand the plastic well for better adhesion.

You need to be creative with the sheet metal but when you finish you can spray the inside with flat black primer and it looks almost original as long as you covered it with the epoxy (smoothly and sand it afterwards).  Most of my repairs are stronger than the original and I have never had one fail.  It does take a bit time and effort but it solves the problem nicely.

Tools required are ball peen hammer, tin snips and a solid steel surface like a vise for holding, bending, etc.  Needlessnose pliers too for making sharp turns and corners.  A bit of patience and artistic bent does not hurt as well, but it is not rocket science  ;).