News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Starter Clutch Problems

Started by couchflyer, June 27, 2009, 10:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

couchflyer

I finally figured out the Red 82 Visions starter issue -  the starter clutch is cracked.  The bolts where loose as well, so I'll use Tiger's fix when I can get it together.  Now can anyone direct me to the replacement part or a fix?

Thank you,
Mike
1982 Yamaha Vision ~ 1 Black & 1 Red
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S
2008 Ducati 1098 ~ Track only
Sola Scriptura

Tiger

Toss that one in the recycle bin Mike, its kaputnik buddy. They are not repairable...

I picked one up from the local wreckers a few months ago, ( a complete flywheel/starter clutch),for approx' $50.00...

TIGER
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

mshowe

I just did my start clutch bolts repair.  I created questions, one, what are the spring/caps/rollers for?  Mechanically, what purpose do they serve?  How much/when are the little springs used?  It seems as easily as things fall out when putting back together they could fall out when assembled.  I didn't inspect it too well, maybe they are held in once assembled.

As always, thank you for educating me ROV.
1981 Honda XL 125S
1983 Yamaha Vision
1993 Yamaha Venture

Rikugun

The springs and rollers are the key components to the one way, over-riding clutch. The rollers (pushed by the springs) grip a machined shoulder on the idler gear when the starter is spinning. Through that action the clutch spins which is attached to the flywheel which is attached to the crankshaft. When the engine starts, it spins faster than the starter was turning it over. Then, the rollers harmlessly slide over the machined shoulder. Hopefully, you've let go of the starter button by now  :o  :D and the idler gear stops. The rollers continue to slide over the shoulder as the engine is running. This is a common setup used by many brands and for the most part works without incident.

The springs and rollers are captured by the sheetmetal clutch cover, the back of the rotor/flywheel, and the idler gear's shoulder and can not come out when everything is assembled.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Lucky

you can hit the starter button when the bike is running without fear.  it's how i get red lights to change to green...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rikugun

Another way is to use your foot and lower the centerstand to the ground. Better yet, mount a rare earth magnet on the stand, put the bike on the centerstand and run over and press the crosswalk button.  ;D  :D
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan