News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Another 12 hours

Started by kev10104, July 07, 2009, 12:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev10104

Finally got a compliment from Tiger about my bike.So I went and re-painted the vents because my neighbor decided to let the brake fluid run down the bike and looked at the front rim....Ok,my wife and me got the sand paper and 12 hours later it's shiny.My wife is going to start talking on here so take it easy on her.

funkamongus

I hand polished parts of my bike too.. my hands hurt for days and Im a bass player (strong fingers and hands)... So, I know how you feel,, but I also know how you feel!!!! I bet it looks great,, where are the pics?
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Kojo

Speaking of which, can you recommend a good way to get some of the tarnished bits off the motor and whatnot? And post pictures if you can, I wanna see, get some ideas.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

funkamongus

Paint remover,, carefully glob it on to remove the clear coat.. if you have scratches, find the finest sand paper that will take it out.. then go gradually finer, one direction per grade, till 1500 or 2000, then rubbing compound,, then polish like hell with a good polish, I used mothers.. its ok but I have used anything else to compare it to.. Its a LOT of work but they can look really nice when youre done.
I own:

funkamongus

I may have misread your post and gone off on what I did.. sorry if I read it wrong!
I own:

Kojo

Oh, kinda, maybe I misread yours  :-X

One the engine, if it's left out in the weather a bit, little darker colored spots form. scrubbing them doesn't take them off. I was wandering what could be used to clean off the tarnish and make the engine look a bit cleaner. But I'm jacking his topic, back to him.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

Tiger

Quote from: kev10104 on July 07, 2009, 12:07:00 AM
Finally got a compliment from Tiger about my bike.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D I just said that you had her looking really good bro'...the Vision that is :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

funkamongus

Id have to see it, but, I think thats your clearcoat.. I couldnt get anything to take that discoloration off.. maybe somebody found something I didnt... I hand polished my side cases and such on my virago, it was a lot of work but it looks really good...
I own:

Night Vision

a bench grinder and wire wheel makes 'em shiny enough for me... or use a drill and wheel
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kev10104

I know Buddy and I apprecriated it.You know me always scrubbing and cleaning.That red looks awesome.

Rick G

i used paint stripper to remove the old clear coat , then use ooo steel wool to burnish it , finally buff it out with a sheep's wool pad in an electric drill and Mother's aluminum polish. Be sure to drape the bike with an old tarp of blanket as the buffer will throw shite all over it ! You too, wear old clothes!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kev10104

Thank you for the advice.