News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

$250 Craigslist vision project and question

Started by tt315, July 05, 2009, 07:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tt315

Hello,
  I picked up the vision I asked about a few weeks ago and have all the parts on except the master cylinder rebuild kit.

I have completed all the recommended upgrades as well as cleaned the carbs.  Overall I am real happy with the project and my dad (who is getting the bike) is really excited about it.

Here is a few bad pictures of it.

This is the only things that worries me about the bike

A few oil drips from the cam shaft gasket.  I am wondering if I should worry about it or just see what happens.  What is everyones experience with oil leaking from here?

Thanks, 

Night Vision

Quote from: tt315 on July 05, 2009, 07:03:08 PM

A few oil drips from the cam shaft gasket.  I am wondering if I should worry about it or just see what happens.  What is everyones experience with oil leaking from here?

I wouldn't worry about it. Address it next time the valves are adjusted.
If the half moon is poking out, poke it back in.....

heck, I'm bleeding more than a few drips from my side case.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

That half moon gasket is just part of the valve cover gasket - which is more of a custom molded "O" ring.  They're readily available, but a real PITA to replace.  If you can live with it, just do what Night Vision recommends - let it go for now, order a couple new gaskets and replace them when you have to remove the valve covers next time.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

Thats a great looking Vision but you need to check your throttle cable routing.  From the angle in the first picture it looks to be a bit tight.  MIght make a left turn a little difficult.  :-o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kevin

Rick G

I'd love it if mine just did a few drips ! It produces a small fog that makes a mess and requires frequent cleaning, but then I run the shite out out of it and  the fog is to be expected. Don't sweat it , change the gaskets next valve adjustment , say 2014.  
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

tt315

Thanks for the replys.   I will let it be and just add oil as needed.  The pipes are actully just painted with high temp spray paint.  These pipes are just temperary until my dads friend welds up the hole on the chrome set or he buys a set of macs.      I will post better pictures of the bike once its done.