Wait just a freakin second

Started by inanecathode, July 09, 2009, 11:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Wasnt ROV down for like a month?
I FINALLY get in today, and everyone is posting about like nothing happened!?
Wtf you guys, wheres the drama dammit!
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Brian Moffet

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his tears with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in Visions now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their stators cheap whiles any speaks
    That cried with us upon ROV's demise.

funkamongus

Ah, there he is!! Hows it going, bud?? Good to see you back!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

inanecathode

Quote from: funkamongus on July 09, 2009, 11:46:09 PM

Pretty good!
Vision is bueno, i did some cool stuff to it recently:
Stator was going, so i exerted all of my psychic energy in materializing a free virago sitting outside a dumpster in pieces with the most notable benefit being a GOOD stator. Free stator: Win
Put a monoshock from a 2004 yzf600 in place of the 83 shock (My god, is he serious! Those things are the best ever!). The ride is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT now. Adjustable dampening and compression, modern valving, i do things with that bike that would put me in the next lane over or over the bars with the old shock. It just sucks up the bumps like they're not even there. The shock is about 2.5 inches longer than the stock, so other than having an interesting time trying to preload the shock to get the holes to line up (2 wrenches, 2 screw drivers, one pain in the ass)  the bike rides significantly higher than it did before. Center stand doesnt work anymore (well it sort of does, kinda balances between the tire and the two sides of the stand), i have to use a piece of two buh fer when i use the side stand, and apparently a 120/90/18 wont fit on the rear save for about 1/16th of an inch off the center of the tire (rubs on the exhaust collector)
So, that's what's goin on :)
Well, that and i have this godawful green fairing and bracket taking up space in my shed!

YellowJacket!

I helped keep the sanity with this: http://xz550.forumotion.net/index.htm

Still pretty active there too.  :D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

funkamongus

I have friends playing at Blackhawk right now!! Kari and Jerry Shurtleff,, go by and say HI to them.. they're good ol texas blues players.. and good folk. I just sent them an email asking if they are coming this way.. Thanx for hanging on to it!! Im broke dick these days...
I own:

akvision

You are right, there was a drama.. we now have options!
Still planning to go with us to Roswell?? Inane.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

inanecathode

Quote from: akvision on July 10, 2009, 04:54:54 PM
You are right, there was a drama.. we now have options!
Still planning to go with us to Roswell?? Inane.

mmmmmmm, not likely. I'll be moving soon so i'll need the extra time and dollars...

Better remind me of the details though ;)

h2olawyer

Where you moving to?  Hopefully, you'll still be somewhat close!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Quote from: h2olawyer on July 11, 2009, 02:29:19 AM
Where you moving to?  Hopefully, you'll still be somewhat close!

H2O

Westminster, not too far ;)

funkamongus

MY friends out there have no plans to come to NV.. When are you moving?? I'll try to get with you before then so it'll be one less thing... money is nonexistent around here currently..
I own:

inanecathode

Quote from: funkamongus on July 11, 2009, 09:33:48 AM
MY friends out there have no plans to come to NV.. When are you moving?? I'll try to get with you before then so it'll be one less thing... money is nonexistent around here currently..

Oh, dont worry about it. I've got PLENTY of storage room up here in the hills. In fact, there might be a bike vacuum, and some projects might gravitate to my parents driveway!

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: inanecathode on July 10, 2009, 01:04:37 AM
Put a monoshock from a 2004 yzf600 in place of the 83 shock (My god, is he serious! Those things are the best ever!). The ride is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT now. Adjustable dampening and compression, modern valving, i do things with that bike that would put me in the next lane over or over the bars with the old shock. It just sucks up the bumps like they're not even there. The shock is about 2.5 inches longer than the stock, so other than having an interesting time trying to preload the shock to get the holes to line up (2 wrenches, 2 screw drivers, one pain in the ass)  the bike rides significantly higher than it did before. Center stand doesnt work anymore (well it sort of does, kinda balances between the tire and the two sides of the stand), i have to use a piece of two buh fer when i use the side stand, and apparently a 120/90/18 wont fit on the rear save for about 1/16th of an inch off the center of the tire (rubs on the exhaust collector)

Have you seen Glyn's posts about his triumph shock?  It was also longer than stock.  He built a small metal bracket that raises the top shock mount up an inch or so.  He has a plan of it I'm sure he would send you if you PM him.

inanecathode

Quote from: roro on July 12, 2009, 04:07:39 AM
Quote from: inanecathode on July 10, 2009, 01:04:37 AM

Have you seen Glyn's posts about his triumph shock?  It was also longer than stock.  He built a small metal bracket that raises the top shock mount up an inch or so.  He has a plan of it I'm sure he would send you if you PM him.

Yeah, i've seen it. I just compressed the shock and bolted it up anyway. I dont think its worth bothering with a special bracket, it still fits good, same stroke and travel in its new position as the 83 had in the same spot.
Maybe it'd be worth it for the lower height, but i dont mind a whole lot, steeper steering angle, better cornering clearance, i dig it.

treedragon

Inane

I would be interested in the ride height difference from before and after, or an approximation of, if you could figure.

Be interesting to see how it compares with my dropping the bike down the forks in terms of steering angles etc, I'm scraping my pipes and pegs on the right at times and am considering raising the ride height as an option. I don't want to raise the bike up the forks again as I reckon being lower down kills a bit of fork flex (and reduces the spindly front look). The new rear shock I put on has made such a difference that lean angles have increased without any effort. So any data you could supply could dictate how brave I get with adjustments........

Thanks

Re-Vision

I also would be interested in this shock if it could be utilized without raising the seat (Family tradition of short legs), is it feasible to add a bracket to the yzf600 shock and maintain or even lower the seat height?  BDC

inanecathode

Quote from: treedragon on July 13, 2009, 02:04:30 AM
Inane

I would be interested in the ride height difference from before and after, or an approximation of, if you could figure.

Be interesting to see how it compares with my dropping the bike down the forks in terms of steering angles etc, I'm scraping my pipes and pegs on the right at times and am considering raising the ride height as an option. I don't want to raise the bike up the forks again as I reckon being lower down kills a bit of fork flex (and reduces the spindly front look). The new rear shock I put on has made such a difference that lean angles have increased without any effort. So any data you could supply could dictate how brave I get with adjustments........

Thanks

I would say, the ride height of the rear tire went up by about 2.5 inches. I can take a picture, hopefully that would help. It's high enough where the center stand doesnt really work, it just kinda balances between the tire and the two center stand pieces.

Re-Vision: I'll have to look at it, but i think a bracket could fit in there, somehow. It'd have to be a yoke sort of looking thing that lets the shock extend past the front mount, but comes back to it with the other end of the yoke and bolts through the stock location.