News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Fairing Graphics

Started by Re-Vision, July 20, 2009, 05:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Is a heat gun the best way to remove graphics?  If I remove the graphics from the fairing, will it require a new paint job to get rid of their traces?  Has anyone created and applied new vinyl graphics?  Thanks.  BDC

67GTO

A heat gun can do alot of damage in a hurry :( I like to use a hair dryer, much safer :)
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Tiger

:) A heat gun will remove them but you need a solvent to remove the adhesive that is left behind...Used properly, there would be no reason to worry about the paint work. The lowers I put into the laundry tub with a solution of hot water and dish soap, let soak for a couple of minutes and slowly/gently peel off...been there, done that and have the "T" shirt  ;D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER...... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

I used a heat gun to remove the graphics from my fairing.  Agreed - use care when working with a heat gun!  I didn't do any damage, but the gelcoat did get a little soft in one spot where I was having some difficulty getting the sticker off.

The adhesive came off easily for me, using Goo Gone.  Then I wiped it all down with rubbing alcohol, scuffed up the gelcoat & gave it an el-cheapo rattle can paint job.  Looked pretty good for a couple years but time & incidents are taking their toll on the paint.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kiwi

The paint not covered by the stickers has probably faded more than the rest.
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

rhpaw

I used goo-gone and wd40 along with a hairdryer. Eventually it all came off.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor