News:

Main Menu

Bought me a Vision

Started by kfunk217, July 09, 2009, 11:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfunk217

Hello all, been browsing the forums for about a month now but have yet to post anything, so I figured it was about time. Back in February I found a 82 vision on craigslist here in Massachusetts for 700 bucks with 9k miles that didn't seem to need anything but a set of tires as the other ones were quite bald. The first owner kept her in a heated garage for ten years before the kid I bought it from took it off his hands last August. The gas tank was already done up, and despite the fact that it had clearly been dropped on the left side, probably at a standstill, it looked immaculate. I have since put 3000 miles on it and haven't had any problems. This is what she looked like when I bought her

I dumped her once coming out of a corner and the person in front of me slammed on their brakes for a pedestrian, cracked the casing on the left side and oil leaked all over the pavement and broke a mirror and a turn signal. A friend welded it back together, and you can barely tell. Of course, about a month after that some jackass did a hit and run in a parking lot and my brake pedal snapped off. I sure have put my mark on this bike lol.

I'm thinking about putting an 83 fairing on if i can find one, and I definitely want to swap out the handlebar risers to that of an 83 as well. I found some of the pieces to the airbox mod kit on ebay and ordered them, since I figured this might be a good thing to do, the rpms do jump around quite a bit in idle and theres a bit of a stutter on hard accel in first and second gear. Is there anything else people would recommend mod wise? My pipes are a little rusted, and an exhaust leak has formed somewhere, but it's not too terrible. If I get some more cash I'm definitely considering the MAC pipes, but I don't have that much money for fun things right now haha.

Kojo

Wow! Great looking bike! I like the paint job, what mine used to look like before the previous owner wet sanded off the gloss and put pinstriped flames on it. Tacky tacky tacky... But I digress! Wish I lived where snow could fall. Personally I like the stock pipes, but to each their own.
Younger, but just as smart. Really.

h2olawyer

Good looking V - welcome!

As for the hunting idle, check your YICS box for leaks.  That's the easiest to find.  If that's not the problem, then your carbs are the next thing to check & clean.  Until you get it running great, try disconnecting the YICS system and plug off the ports on the cylinders - or plug the hoses whichever is easier for you.

Full fairings do come up for sale once in a while on eBay and every now & then someone around here decides to part with one.  Just keep your eyes open.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

kojo , just come to Kingman this winter , The Hualipies are at 8000 feet and snow abounds , its only 12 miles from here.We keep our snow up in the mtns. so we can enjoy it and then go home!! LOL.

As for the stock exhaust system , it makes the bike sound like .................wait for it................ a Hoover with a head cold! ;)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

QBS

Unless you can find an actual hole somewhere in the exhaust system, the leak you hear is probably from where the  rear cylinder attaches to the collector box.  Do search under my name or something related to the exhaust system to learn about the idiosyncrasies of that connection.  At 9k miles your bike probably hasn't had its' starter motor oil seal or starter clutch attachment upgraded.  If so, the need for both is inevitable.  Plan ahead. Resistance is futile.  Very nice bike.  Looks like the first owner respected it a lot.

h2olawyer

Quote from: Brian Moffet on July 10, 2009, 11:23:55 AM
Quote from: Rick G on July 10, 2009, 04:00:41 AM
a Hover with a head cold! ;)

What's a hover?

About 99% sure Rick means a "Hoover".

Hoover is a vacuum cleaner brand for those allergic to housework.   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kfunk217

Thanks everyone. I will be looking at the YICS and the exhaust situation when I get back from vacation on the 18th. I'm leaving for the virgin islands tommorow morning, which is nice, but at the same time I'm going to wish I had my bike down there!

YellowJacket!

awwwww sweet.  A whole island of Virgins.

Have a great time....
:o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

A "Hover" is a Hoover, typed by an old man, who was far too tired to be typing at 12.00 midnight.
The stock exhaust "whoosh's" far too much for me , sounds like there's a potato stuffed up there, somewhere!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Quote from: YellowJacket! on July 10, 2009, 07:20:48 PM
awwwww sweet.  A whole island of Virgins.

Have a great time....
:o

David

Probably the same 13 year old boys the terrorists are promised if they martyr themselves . . .   :D

Seriously, have fun in the tropics!

H2O

inanecathode

What they dont tell you is that it's all star trek and dungeons and dragons nerds.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

funkamongus

I was in St Croix.. GO DIVING!!! Its beautiful!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

kfunk217

Just got back a couple of days ago. Stayed in St. Thomas, went to St. John for a day. Snorkeled the whole time practically, it was amazing. Barracudas, turtles and a 6 ft wide spotted ray were some of the highlights haha. The roads there are crazy though. Of course when I got back, the bike wouldn't start. It seems to be a wiring fault somewhere between the solenoid and the starter switch, but I haven't gotten to look at it too closely yet.

EDIT: Just looked at it, turns out it was the cut off relay. Pulled it apart and the thing was full of water... Lovely!