Wiring marker lights/brake lights

Started by YellowJacket!, July 11, 2009, 08:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

I got a set of Stickie backed, chrome ringed red LED marker lights.  I can use them either as brake lights or running lights.  In any event, I'm going to mount them on the saddle bags right under the turn signals. 

My first question is, if you were going to do the job, would you use them as brake lights or marker lights?  They are also reflective.
Either way, I'll wire them into either the running light circuit for the tail or the brake lights circuit.

The next question is, Is it wise to drill holes in my brand new saddle bags?  The wiring comes out directly behind the lights and I would have to drill two holes (entry and exit) into the saddle bags to make them work.  I'll also have to attach a set of plugs so I can disconnect them when/if I remove the bags.  The entry hole would be directly on the back part of the bag behind the light and the exit hole would be on the tire/fender side of the bag.  I'd seal it with silicone and probably put some kind of tape over the wires inside the bag to hide them.

Am I going to make a mistake drilling holes in my bags?  Is there a special bit I should use?  How can I drill very smooth plastic without "walking" the bit all over the place?

Thanks,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Re-Vision

LED's emit light quicker than light bulbs (No filament to heat up). Use them for brake lights, might just give the guy tailgating you a few extra microseconds to prevent running up your exhaust pipes.  BDC

Night Vision

I agree with the brake lights... drill holes in the bags? not so much

if you do drill, masking or duct tape should keep the bit from walking... don't you have a windshield bit?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Night Vision on July 11, 2009, 09:01:31 PM
don't you have a windshield bit?

BINGO!  Completely forgot about that.  Have to go looking through my toolbox.

I'll post some pics of the lights tomorrow.

Thanks.

David

QBS

Brake lights: Yes. Option to holes: Mount the lights on some type of pad that is just tall enough to allow the wires to make a hard 90 degree turn as they come out of the lights.  Run the wires through a gap in the pad toward the center of the bike.  Have the wires end up in some sort of two wire connector.  Attach the wires to bags along their length with two overlapping strips of black vinyl tape.  No holes.

Re-Vision

Has anyone used the direct replacement LED light bulbs?  BDC

RadRacer

Quote from: Re-Vision on July 19, 2009, 12:31:06 AM
Has anyone used the direct replacement LED light bulbs?  BDC

You'll probably have to swap to an electronic flasher if you do that.  I've done it, as well as a few others, but as far as I know there's no relay that's a direct swap.
~'97 3.8L V6 Camaro~   Cam'd daily driver
~'83 Yamaha XZ550RK Vision~   Cruiser :)

YellowJacket!

I have a European throttle assembly that has the light switch on it and was wondering if I could use it to control my new driving lights, IE on and off.  I'm not sure in the difference in the wiring harness's but I wonder if something can be modified and worked out.

David

Lucky

i have that switch too, it can be modified, i did mine.
we'll have to get together so i can see what you have & pour thru the wiring diagram.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!