News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Engine Paint

Started by artbone, August 02, 2009, 10:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

The engine on my '83 looks really bad now that I've got the rest of the bike looking good. I would appreciate any suggestions for painting the engine so it looks original. I need brands of paint, colors, and techniques for cleaning before paint and masking off.

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Tiger

:) You need to pick up a really good paint stripper to remove the engine clear coat first before you re-clear coat or paint it.

I used an industrial stripper, washed it off, went over the engine with a fine Scotch Brite pad and...VOILA!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

I use any good paint stripper and apply a thick coat with a disposable brush. Then I use a nylon pot scrubber to loosen the coating. Repeat as necessary . Some use sand paper or steel wool as a final step , but, I just go at it with a synthetic sheeps wool pad and lots of Mothers. Cover the bike with old blankets and wear old clothes , it can be messy! :D :D :D
As for re-coating , why would you want to? When you have worked so hard to get the damd stuff off! I go over mine once a year and it stays fine. "real motorcycles " like Triumph, BSA and Norton had pollished cases. It was the Japanese who started coating them. They didn't think they would last long enough for the rotten coating to be a problem , we fooled them didn't we! ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

for a quick & dirty paint job, pick up some chrome/aluminum paint at Ace hardware, i'll have to go check the brand, but it matches the engine perfectly for a paint.
it's a brush on, but settles well.  it has flecks of metal in it, & you have to stir it.  i used it on Cafe Vision because i don't want to polish the thing all the time, looks great!
i'll get you the name..

--Lucky

:edit:
it's Ace brand #16446.  if they don't have it in stock, ask them to order it off Acenet (not to be confused with Skynet)
it's a satin sheen paint & comes in Quuarts or Gallons

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

artbone

Quote from: Rick G on August 03, 2009, 03:03:23 AM
As for re-coating , why would you want to? When you have worked so hard to get the damd stuff off! I go over mine once a year and it stays fine. "real motorcycles " like Triumph, BSA and Norton had pollished cases.

I've got 3 "real motorcycles" and, to tell the truth, I enjoy a bike that doesn't require more than a quick squirt with the pressure washer to look good. That's one of the charms of my '83 Vision. No chain to lube or adjust, no points to adjust, no chrome to polish, one drain plug to change the oil, 2 screws to drain the carbs. Just get on it and ride. There's so much to like about this bike.

Art
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650