News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Any Motorized Bicycle users on here?

Started by Kiwi, July 18, 2009, 01:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

Putting a motor on my Schwinn Stingray was the gateway drug to a motorcycle.
I was curious if anyone else on here has done the same, or wants to and wants advice.

Somehow i think going from my 69cc Schwinn Stingray to my 550cc Yamaha will be fun  :)

US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Kid Jedi

did it for a customer, came out great! was a hoot!
Loves to over think things.

rhpaw

I want to do a 31cc ryobi for the boy's huffy, but I think mother would kill me.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

Lucky

I have a 1959 Western Flyer bike i got for fathers day, the perfect gift for me, all rusted & i need of love.  i can't get most og the original parts anymore, but there is plenty of room for a Stih Brushcutter motor... :) which i have.

i figured a spring loaded plate for the mount, just not sure how to make the connection.  don't love the idea of pressure roller on the tire, but not sure how to mount a chain on the engine.. weld a sproket to the outside of the clutch?...

this project will take me forever :)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

pat sullivan

Kiwi;

Your right about the gateway thing.  I bought a 1948 Whizzer that was in a basket for 20 bucks.  The kid took it apart and couldn't get back together.  Eventually Whizzer came out with some racing stuff - High compression head, bigger valves etc.  It was great fun being able to beat the Harley 125's of the day on a Whizzer.  After I got my drivers license I sold the whizzer and bought a BSA Goldstar - my first real motorcycle.  I've owned a motorcycle ever since.  I expect the Vision will be my last- 74 years old now.

Pat S.

kev10104

My brother is looking for a bike like that.I think?

bikehandle

Hi All.
For anyone interested in building a motorized Bicycle go to E-Bay and type in (bicycle motor) and there are Kit's you can buy for as little as a hundred buck's that has everything you need. I still have 2 bikes I've built. One is a schwinn typhoon (1964) with a front mount Bikebug from sears (1971) and it's a hoot! The other one is a Huffy cruser with one of the Kit's I told you about. Looks like a Whizzer. Cradle mount with sprocket drive. 49cc and you don't need a lisence to run it. You can get these kit's as big as 80cc. You were talking about these being a gate way bike but I've found after having all manner of bike's there just fun for there own sake! I have gotten more smiles and waves on these than I have ever had on a motorcycle. Anyone thats interested in building one E-Mail me. (lucky,one of these would fit your bike perfictly.)

Ride safe!!
Bikehandle
god, save me from my fondest wish!

Lucky

what i'm not sure of is how to take off from the clutch & drive the wheel...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

bikehandle

Lucky,
You can buy plans to build a unit and use a weed whacker motor for your bicycle. It will become a roller unit to go on your back tire. The clutches on a weed eater is NOT big enough to pull you and a bike. Insted of riding you will be smoking clutches. I have a set of these plans somewhere. It looked to cheesy for me to build so I went with the motor kit I was talking about in the previous post. Not only are they fun to ride there fun to build too. You can get them with automatic clutch or standard. They will do from 27 to about 32 miles an hour! And let me tell you that's FLYING on a bicycle! But damn it,s fun!!
Bikehandle

Glyn

Are these things legal to ride on the road in the USA with no Rego or Warrent? Could be the start of eco friendly transportation. Must get at least 100 mpg I would think.

h2olawyer

In the US, regulations of what is legal to use on streets & roads is controlled by each state.  Often, towns & cities also have regulations on what is a legal 'vehicle'.  So, what may be rideable in one state may not be legal in another.  In Ft. Collins, colorado, scooters upt to a certain displacement (and low top speed) do not require license plates, driver's license or anything else.  I believe there is a minimum age of something like 14 years old to ride them, though.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

bikehandle

I belive that so long as the displacement is 50cc or smaller that they fall under the MoPed laws. I live in Iowa and the only time I was stoped the cop wanted to know where he could buy one! Any other time I was just ignored. it was just viewed as a Bicycle.

Kiwi

in TX it is legal on streets with speed limits under 35mph.
Here's a link to my sting ray  http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=18065

check out www.motoredbikes.com .  Tons of info
If any one is looking to buy a motor, PM me and i'll let you know the two vendors I've gotten them from that i like.

US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Rick G

In AZ, I believe that, if it has a motor you need a licence and insurance
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

"laws" here are strange and change at the whim of the mayor . as of this morning ,motorised bikes are legal if the motor is 50cc or less, and th eoriginal pedals are still on th ebike . 55cc and up requires a moped tag, . both require the use of a motorcycle helmet to ride . bike helmet just wont cut it . needless to say -- the 8 or 10 i used to see every day on way to work are no longer out there .

state law states they are legal ,regular bike helmet required up to 18 yrs old --- riders choice after that . only thing absolutely required is eye protection ,and above 60cc requires registration as a moped

i have a raleigh 10 speed set up with electric "assist "motor,, roller feeds to rear tire - short battery life, mostly wasted funds there . and the battery creates feeling of off balance ,,even when secure .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

vadasz1

Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.