News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Going to replace my rear brake pads

Started by Kiwi, July 23, 2009, 05:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

Just ordered some from dennis kirk for about $40 shipped.
I am swinging by the dealer tommorow and ordering some of those brake bolts as well.
While i am back there, anything else i should inspect/replace?
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

inanecathode

Torque arm bolts, swing arm bushings, lube the drive splines, lube the brake sliding pads and cam.
Torque arm bolts, just replace those, im sure someone will be along to tell you what size they are.
Swing arm bushings, just yar on the swing arm left to right and see if it shifts (have to do it pretty hard) if it does, they're toast and should be replaced.
Drive splines need lube, use high pressure moly grease.
Brake sliding pads are where the shoes slide on when you apply the brake, they get dry and squeaky, the cam can also stick if you dont lube it as well.

Should be good to go from there.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tiger

Quote from: kiwi on July 23, 2009, 05:16:39 PM
While i am back there, anything else i should inspect/replace?

A couple of cans of brake and parts cleaner from Walmart will help... ;)

:) Once you have removed the rear wheel, remove the aluminum plate that holds the foot rests, rear brake pedal, etc...Remove the brake pedal and pull the brake pedal shaft out of the aluminum housing...you can now clean the shaft and grease it and lube the brake adjuster rod joint....Now, BEFORE you reinstall it...REPLACE THE BRAKE BAR BOLT AT THE FRONT...it is much easier when the aluminum plate is off!!!

With the brake drum cover plate on the bench, (brake shoes facing you) grab the brake shoes and fold them into the middle and set them down out of the way...flip the unit over and remove the bolt and rear brake rod arm from the shaft...slide out, clean and lube the shaft...clean off all the brake dust, etc before reinstalling the shaft and new brake shoes.

Clean off all the old grease & grime from the splined side of the wheel and the inside of the rear drive unit and re-lube with a high temp' grease. Clean and lube the axle shaft...

When you reassemble it all, the rear axle nut must be torqued up to 80 ft lbs and a new cotter pin inserted in to the castle nut/shaft... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

motoracer8

Swing arm pivots are needle bearings, not bushings. Swing arm has to be removed to lube them, but it's defently a good idea on a 30 year old motorcycle.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British