Main Menu

YamaDuc 552

Started by treedragon, August 01, 2009, 02:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treedragon

The Wobbly Dog has undergone a change or two, it's just eaten a 916  :o  :o  ;D

I've been fiddling around again, an opportunity came my way and so the bike has evolved a little more, still heaps to do, thought I would give you an update, purists beware..........

Next job should be the new stainless headers and a set of Ducati 696 mufflers and am even starting to think about paint jobs

http://www.martin-rusholme.co.nz/xz/side.jpg
and
http://www.martin-rusholme.co.nz/xz/front_quarter.jpg

Edit;
and in this picture are the elements of form that convinced me to go ahead with the idea........ curves
http://www.martin-rusholme.co.nz/xz/rear.jpg

kwells

should have swapped the front suspension/brakes as well.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

I may be one of those 'purists', but really only push that view on myself.  I'd probably feel different if I hadn't owned mine since new.  In fat, I'm considering doing some mild custom work on Tractor when I get around to rebuilding it.  It's your bike, do to it whatever you want.  That said, I think it looks really cool.   8)  ;D

Where's the battery & TCI?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

treedragon

The battery, (a Yuasa gel type)  is on it's side where the pillion will never sit and boy did I get some complaints about that.......

made worse when I said ".... but our combined weight is over the bikes legal carrying capacity"......  sometimes it would really be an advantage to think about how I phrase these things  ::)

All the wiring and sundry relay's are now in the space under the seat area I had to lengthen a few sections, the TCI is in the tool tray, regulator in the cool fresh air down aft a bit. The tail section is cut off just behind the metal cross piece, I am still utilizing the original mud guard or parts thereof.

The Tail section was replica of the Ducati 916 the front of which I had to shorten a bit but being fibreglass was able to glass on the front extensions while it sat on the bike. The radar/laser detector is behind the lens just below the headlights.

Early ride impressions are very good, I particularly like the narrow waist, makes it very easy to tuck into the tank, the seat is some medium to heavy density foam shaped and glued to the modified 916 seat base and is comfortable.

I did have the option of using a Ducati SuperSport Superlight tail piece but when I saw the curves of the 916 I had to do it.

The tail light is the original XZ 550 unit, trimmed up a touch and mounted upside down on some alloy bar glassed to the tail piece. The whole tail section slides off exposing all the wiring for easy maintainence.

I have cut the rear lower sub frame off and brought it forward re-welding so it connects under the new seat. Should I ever have to fiddle with the rear headers methinks there will be no more blood offering to the God of Mechanic, space abounds.
The water overlow tank has moved forward to inside front LH lower fairing.

Next week I order the YSS front fork inserts to give the beast some proper damping, should match the new rear shock nicely.

Tomorrow I go riding with the Ducati boys, now there is a few purists amongst them.........  ;D  ;D

YellowJacket!

Hey... You've got my gauges.  :D

Looks Good

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Glyn

Interested to know how your sealed battery lasts compared to a normal wet battery. The quality of wet batteries these days seems quite poor and they never seem to last more than a few years. Even so called good brands.

Re-Vision

This is the first seriously modified machine that looks as good as the original or possibly even better, hope to see more of this bike.  This is only my opinion, but really do like what you've done.  BDC

Night Vision

I like it!

the broken brake lever adds just enough mad max to the look!

HeliBars: just raised the fork tubes up? what model fits the 35mm tubes?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

GT @ oh.

very nice.... very unique.....well done

vadasz1

I also notice that you cut away the vent locations.  Also have mounted some driving lights in front of the vent openings. 

Very cool mods.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

treedragon

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback!!
I am sort of making this up as I go along I might add, never been one for master plans, doesn't always work either........

Glyn
From what I see through the workshop a lot of Ducati run the same model batteries in all sorts of odd positions, don't seem to be any problems and it is physically smaller than the original.

Night Vision
Forks up 35mm, I trimed the lip off the fairing to eliminate any clearance problems. They are Tommaselli bars adjustable on 3 axis, I had to use some thin shim material. I went for these as they were the only ones that gave me the exact position I wanted for my wrists, years of stone carving and fine bone work have taken their toll on them.

vadasz1
They are small driving light shells with LED side light bulbs modified into them that plug into a standard socket. The beauty of these is that they are cheap to run and with them being somewhat directional, when seen in a car rear view mirror it sort of gives the impression of flashing enough that they catch the eye and people look. Many many cars simply pull over to the side in a hurry methinks it's the sort of bluish flashing effect that does the trick  :police:
Yes the vents are gone entirely and the lowers are tucked in for a less barn door effect.

YellowJacket
yes the Vapor gauges are great! Very light compared to the originals and cheap.

Well it's morning here time to go beat up on some Ducati, plenty of corners in todays run, gives me a good look in.

lexx790

Nice job with the front light change, I was thinking of doing the same when I eventually get round to that part.
I might try implanting this headlight into the fairing.

YellowJacket!

lexx, if thats one of the ones on ebay, be careful.  One of the guys here had done that befor and the headlights melted.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

lexx790

Thanks for your input David, this is a Dash universal fairing sold by some of the major online UK bike stores.
I've just looked and it also sells on ebay, so you could be correct.
I would appreciate if anyone can confirm if this is a dodgy fairing.